1 X 10 conversion advice

dmarsden

Cannon Fodder
Peoples
I am looking to convert my son's bike to a 1 by 10. Its a trek fuel running Shimano slx 10 speed cranks 24/38, Shimano XT rear derailleur medium cage with clutch, xt 10 speed shifter and a 12-36 cassette. He is 10 years old and need something with quite a low ratio. On a budget so want reuse what I have if possible. I have done some research and have seen a 30T front chainring (not sure what brand to get and if will fit) and a 42 cog on the rear you can add. Any advise would be appreciated.
Cheers David

rone

Eats Squid
30t is a good start for a younger rider. Try and get a 16t cog for the cassette too to smooth out the jump between ratios on the cassette. Duncan at DIYMTB does Aerozine

They ship with the 16t included and having fitted one, can confirm that they are a quality item. Fit a clutched rear mech if you don't have one already - makes a big improvement to chain retention.

shauncwz

Likes Bikes
Absolute Black sells a 28T oval chainring which will fit where your son's 24T granny ring is. AB doesn't make a 30T oval but i reckon 28T is good enough if your son is like me (weak legs ;) ). Once he gets stronger you can get a 32T Oval, also from AB, which will fit where his 38T chainring is.

Heard and read lots of good things about oval chainrings. I reckon they will be the next big thing on all bicycles. Also with the 28T oval, you probably wont need to get a 40t expansion cog at the back, saving you some money. You'll have to buy the 28T ring from Absolute Black's own website tho. Not many places stock the 28T ring.

moorey

call me Mia
My 10yo can ride anywhere with 32 up front and 11-36 rear. Daughter has 30t with 11-34. She doesn't do long or steep rides. Both on 26" wheels.

Daisy

Likes Dirt
Have you considered leaving as 2x10 & running 24/32 up front ?
I had this setup on my bike until drivetrain was worn & then replaced everything & went 1x10.
You should be able to find a cheap steel 32 chainring with ramps & pins (for front gear changes). (approx $20)

He will only need to use 24 front as a bail-out for big climbs.......so will spend 95% of time in 32 front.
This is the cheapest & closest you will get to 1x10 in the short term (with same range as 1x10 with 42t on rear).

Cheers, Daisy

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If going 1 x 10 for your son get him a chain guide as well for added security. I have an E13 XCX top guide for my Trek Remedy, I assume it would be similar fit to the Trek Fuel (as long as it has ISCG tabs).

I assuming he's a young bloke so he'll be trying jumps etc. One dropped chain is too many!

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I have a hack bike, a kona stinky, with a 28 chainring, 11-34 rear.
I just did a fairly big ride, including some steep single-track, I never ran out of gears, except on the roads. In fact 28/34 was too easy, I either couldn't keep momentum on the climb, or it was such a tough section, I would have been walking no matter what gears I had.

I've even run a single 22t chainring in the past, and not really been bothered by the top speed, on the trail anyway.

I'd be tempted to set up the 24t as a single and see if he complains, it'll be free, except for maybe some shorter chainring bolts.
You could even lock out the big ring for a ride, with the limit screws, or just tell him to try and stay in the small ring.

As always, it all depends on terrain and riding style.

*EDIT*
On many cranksets, you cannot run such small rings as 1x, as the chainline will be too far inboard, mine has been machined move the ring out.

Last edited: