1 x 10 question

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey All,

If I were to convert to a 1x10 using a chainset such as Raceface Ride with a narrow wide ring and 11-42 cassette, is it necessary to use a chain guide? If so, any recommendations for a relatively low cost option?

cheers
C

moorey

call me Mia
Hey All,

If I were to convert to a 1x10 using a chainset such as Raceface Ride with a narrow wide ring and 11-42 cassette, is it necessary to use a chain guide? If so, any recommendations for a relatively low cost option?

cheers
C
I've never used one. 2+ years running narrow wide guideless. Some do for peace of mind. What sort of terrain? XC and trail, not a chance you'll need it...assuming you're running clutched derailleur

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've never used one. 2+ years running narrow wide guideless. Some do for peace of mind. What sort of terrain? XC and trail, not a chance you'll need it...assuming you're running clutched derailleur
Thanks Moorey! Mostly xc and trail...Menai Kentlyn etc. Nothing too aggressive.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
You should be fine. I had my hardtail converted a while back, and haven't had any issues so far.

s.dogg

Likes Dirt
Waldog rode his Reign in whistler for 2 weeks 1x10 without a chain guide and didn't drop a chain once.

He also only rode Ezy does it the whole time......

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve been running 1x10 for a few months now, with a Garbaruk N/W ring but without a clutched rear derailleur (M981) or chain guide and have never dropped a chain. Riding style is generally fast XC / trail, I tend to bomb down rock gardens, drops etc…

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’ve been running 1x10 for a few months now, with a Garbaruk N/W ring but without a clutched rear derailleur (M981) or chain guide and have never dropped a chain. Riding style is generally fast XC / trail, I tend to bomb down rock gardens, drops etc…
what cassette are you running? It was mentioned iin another post that the xt 10 speed derailleur won't work with a 42t. The xt 11 long cage will work with 10 speed and 42t I believe

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
what cassette are you running? It was mentioned iin another post that the xt 10 speed derailleur won't work with a 42t. The xt 11 long cage will work with 10 speed and 42t I believe
Why an 11-42? Why not just run an 11-36 which is cheap and a smaller front NW then? A 30t for example? Otherwise it's best to get a RAD cage and set up a XT mid derailleur to get it to shift nicely

Last edited:

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
I run a chain guide but only because I've been caught out when my clutch has loosened off and then repeatedly dropped the chain