11/12 VIC DH Series

Liam

Likes Bikes
gonna have to hit the gym!
looks like most of the races will be won on fitness, rather than balls.
(which i have neither of)

still keen! Haven't ridden since maldon when i broke my hand!

BIKESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Fairly certain "the chute" will come out of retirement for Mt Beauty round.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If everything lines up properly, maybe, just maybe we may have another awesome new track and venue by the time the 2012/13 season comes around. Def for the season after. Watch this space...

And if it don't work out then everyone can hang shit on me...

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
If everything lines up properly, maybe, just maybe we may have another awesome new track and venue by the time the 2012/13 season comes around. Def for the season after. Watch this space...

:D:D:D:D:D

Might try to get to buller this series, it would probably be interbomb

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt

It will happen wisey.....

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt

Champion!!

Another important aspect of the VDHS is the sponsors. ~ snip ~
Due to the lack of foxtel lately, I've been watching a lot of free to air, which has led me to watching things like nascar.
I know it's on another level all together, but look at amount of sponsors through out the field. Sponsors are definitely something to look into, especially from outside the sport.
My dad owns part of a glass and aluminium company, I'll try to get him on board for sure!

Last edited:

AshR

Likes Dirt
Man what a read.

Awesome points made though. My first season of racing (and riding) a DH Rig and loved it.

Wasn't overly competitive as I was learning the ropes of a new game but had an awesome time and everyone I spoke to was really friendly. I didn't make the last half of the season after unceremoniously getting a fracture in both wrists :( (on a BMX track not DH)

But having mostly recovered I'm dead keen to get into the next season. I'll miss Barj as that was my fave track of the season. Really looking forward to Youies though as I went to watch in the 09/10 series and really sad the youyangs broke with the crappy weather we had at the start of this year. (still looking forward to the park reopening to go for an XC ride out there, awesome trails)

I digress. The organisation of the events with the online registration etc was awesome. I register before the event, rock up, head on past the lines of people and pick up my plate.

Thanks heaps to all the clubs and vols that helped out and hosted events last year (even the ones I couldn't race) and to the clubs putting up with us this year to come. :) looking forward to Oct now.

Mr King

Likes Dirt
...What ever happened to all that money the DSE gave Mt Taylor, the numbers may have been poor the last race but it was bad timing with other races and situated late in a long series, it was an awesome track and location...
In short Ozza, without going into all of the detail, Gippsland MTB and the DSE have been busy getting all of the right things put in place to make sure that this venue is LEGAL, FREE and OPEN to use at anytime of the year. Free camping, Legal DH tracks - what more could you ask for? Andrew Sharpe, an active mountain biker and advocate for all types of recreation in Victorian State Forest, and is the main contact at the Bairnsdale DSE. Andrew has worked extremely hard to make sure that this Legal DH course has been made available. After Andrew saw the Gippsland MTB event at the 2009/2010 VDHS at Mt Taylor, he was blown away by the level of support that DH was experiencing in Victoria. Andrew saw the need to make available a DH course that was legal. Remember to RESPECT the Rules of the Trail when visiting Mt Taylor and ride safe! You can count on the 'Mythical' Mt Taylor being in the VDHS lineup in the future (and more surprises for Mt Baw Baw;)

For more info check out www.gippslandmtb.com.au or the Official Thread on Mt Taylor on Rotorburn HERE

Kingy

Mt Taylor Double Black Diamond DH Track Start.jpg

Last edited:

Ian M

Likes Bikes
Congratulations Leonie

The VDHS would like to give a HUGE congratulations to our own Victorian rider Leonie Picton who has been selected to represent Australia at the World Championships to be held in Switzerland from the 31st August to 4th September.

The VDHS is proud to be able to sponsor Leonie at this event. A huge thanks to Monza Imports and Phil Woods for donating products for the raffle and auction that was held on presentation day. A big thanks to everyone else who donated prizes and purchased tickets. All money from this is being forwarded to Leonie.

We know that every rider in Victoria will be cheering for her and she will do Australia proud!

Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi

Nautonier

Eats Squid
International i would expect!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE run the wooden berm/drop section at the bottom as the A line and use that stupid zig-zag section as the B line.

Awesome line-up and I would have to say that although I will miss Barjarg and Yack, it's good to have tracks that are accessible outside race days to practice on. Hopefully this will eliminate some of the awful bottlenecks we had last season on some of the more tech tracks. As a first timer I really struggled with having to do a race run at Barjarg after only ONE clear run at tracks without hold-ups. What is it with people stopping on the hard bits, isn't that what track inspection on foot is for??

Shredden

Knows his goats
What is it with people stopping on the hard bits, isn't that what track inspection on foot is for??
OHMYGOD YES! Shits me to tears this. Okay, walk the track, if you still dont think you can do it stop, but PULL OFF THE TRACK FFS!

Only thing I can add to this thread is that there should be a marshall telling people not to stop in places like that.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Only thing I can add to this thread is that there should be a marshall telling people not to stop in places like that.
I'll only say this once, the majority of the time marshalls tell riders to clear off the track, they either get ignored or abused. Think about that for a second!

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll only say this once, the majority of the time marshalls tell riders to clear off the track, they either get ignored or abused. Think about that for a second!
Pretty good point.

I thought most of the marshalls were really good, and seeing as they're volunteering, we're not really in any position to talk them down.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I still have trouble believing that some riders still need to be told these things. These few morons must be so totally absorbed in their own existence that nothing gets through. Once again it's a small number that cause big problems for many others.

Time to tear off race plates I believe. Go home dickhead.

Shredden

Knows his goats
the majority of the time marshalls tell riders to clear off the track, they either get ignored or abused
I know it happens, and you can see it happening, but I cant really imagine what sort of mindset you would have to be in to be doing this?

S.

ex offender
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE run the wooden berm/drop section at the bottom as the A line and use that stupid zig-zag section as the B line.

Awesome line-up and I would have to say that although I will miss Barjarg and Yack, it's good to have tracks that are accessible outside race days to practice on. Hopefully this will eliminate some of the awful bottlenecks we had last season on some of the more tech tracks. As a first timer I really struggled with having to do a race run at Barjarg after only ONE clear run at tracks without hold-ups. What is it with people stopping on the hard bits, isn't that what track inspection on foot is for??
Yeah riders definitely do need to be more aware of where they're stopping. However in my experience a large part of it is due to the fact that the races this season pulled large attendances, and shuttles are better than they've ever been, so more people are getting up and down the course, which on a fairly intimidating track like Barjarg means the riders are going off closer together, and when one person messes a section up and crashes/stops, there is suddenly a train of 5 or 6 other people right behind them who stop in the same place. Once they're all stopped, it takes time to clear the track again, and in the meantime, more and more people are coming down. It's hard to balance trying to get more riders down the course, with everyone actually getting a clear run, and I think it's highly necessary to make sure appropriate gaps (10 seconds at a minimum - that should allow 600 riders per hour down the course, far more than the shuttles can actually get up the hill) are given between riders starting down the course during practice. Particularly at Barj and Yack which had very technical bits right near the start of the track, there were issues with riders making mistakes and immediately being caught by the rider behind who only gave them a few seconds head start, which was frustrating for all involved. I wonder if there's something that can be done to solve that? Maybe a timed beeper that just beeps every 10 seconds, next rider goes at the next beep, no questions asked. Sort of like how the race timing has the 5 second alerts at 30 second splits for the race runs.

Maybe everyone could also be given a sheet with their race plate, outlining race and practice etiquette, such as where it's acceptable to stop, when you are expected to pull over for a faster rider to overtake, the gap you are expected to leave behind another rider in practice, what the loading procedure is for the shuttles etc.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know it happens, and you can see it happening, but I cant really imagine what sort of mindset you would have to be in to be doing this?
I think the poor people that get abused for doing they're job should get some help.. They should have a system, like a warning system, you get 2 warnings and then you miss a race. or Disqualified from the one your in? i think that would help

anth69

Likes Dirt
I still have trouble believing that some riders still need to be told these things. These few morons must be so totally absorbed in their own existence that nothing gets through. Once again it's a small number that cause big problems for many others.

Time to tear off race plates I believe. Go home dickhead.
That would be the same morons that are quick to moan and piss about riders slowing them down in practice ... When clearly they aren't the fastest out there themselves