11/12sp compatibility Q

moorey

call me Mia
Hey crew. Hoping for reports of experience, not 'I think it will/won't work'

Brief: Needing new 170mm boost shimano XT cranks for Felix's new build.

He'll be running 11sp shimano drivetrain. Partly coz I have new spares, partly to save money, partly because i'm not sold on 12sp, partly because Felix doesn't need the range, mostly because of the absolute reliability he's got out of 11sp XT.

I can't get boost 170 M8000 cranks anywhere on line. 175 yes, 170 non boost, yes. I know I can run non boost M8000 with boost frame, as his current bike has for the last 18 months, but I'd prefer boost cranks on the build.

I love DM cranks, so the new M8100 cranks look like a great option, but everything I read says that shimano have changed profile of their ring and chain that aren't cross compatible with other brands or 11sp chains. @The Duckmeister confirms that it 'can' work with an 11sp chain, but its a bit rough, so not wanting to go there.
@Boom King is checking on whether the Bergtech 12sp ring for shimano DM cranks will work with 11sp chain. Not sure yet.

The easiest option IF it works, is M8100 12sp cranks/ring/chain IF it works with an 11sp derailleur and cassette. I can't see why it won't...but there's a lot of things I can't see until it's too late.

Am I missing options? Just to confirm, I prefer to stay with shimano cranks. @russthedog has suggested that the Revel runs the cranks pretty close to the frame, and to be aware that chainring bolts on m8000 stick out a bit more than a DM ring, and to be aware of that, so the 12sp DM cranks/ring/chain is the go if it works on 11sp cassette and derailleur.

Any expertise welcomed before I lose my mind. Cheers.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
FUCK YOU wolftooth! $130-140 and and only the 12sp version stocked in aus stores that I can find.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Hey crew. Hoping for reports of experience, not 'I think it will/won't work'

Brief: Needing new 170mm boost shimano XT cranks for Felix's new build.

He'll be running 11sp shimano drivetrain. Partly coz I have new spares, partly to save money, partly because i'm not sold on 12sp, partly because Felix doesn't need the range, mostly because of the absolute reliability he's got out of 11sp XT.

I can't get boost 170 M8000 cranks anywhere on line. 175 yes, 170 non boost, yes. I know I can run non boost M8000 with boost frame, as his current bike has for the last 18 months, but I'd prefer boost cranks on the build.

I love DM cranks, so the new M8100 cranks look like a great option, but everything I read says that shimano have changed profile of their ring and chain that aren't cross compatible with other brands or 11sp chains. @The Duckmeister confirms that it 'can' work with an 11sp chain, but its a bit rough, so not wanting to go there.
@Boom King is checking on whether the Bergtech 12sp ring for shimano DM cranks will work with 11sp chain. Not sure yet.

The easiest option IF it works, is M8100 12sp cranks/ring/chain IF it works with an 11sp derailleur and cassette. I can't see why it won't...but there's a lot of things I can't see until it's too late.

Am I missing options? Just to confirm, I prefer to stay with shimano cranks. @russthedog has suggested that the Revel runs the cranks pretty close to the frame, and to be aware that chainring bolts on m8000 stick out a bit more than a DM ring, and to be aware of that, so the 12sp DM cranks/ring/chain is the go if it works on 11sp cassette and derailleur.

Any expertise welcomed before I lose my mind. Cheers.
TLDR
Will work fine, 100%. Whatever you are on about.

moorey

call me Mia
Why not just run non boost if you know it works?
Because that was based on Kona. Sam is worried about them sitting too close to the frame, particularly with chainring bolts. Non boost will also compound that, in my mind.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Snap, sorry, found that before seeing your reply. So sick of bike companies making simple things so hard.
I had to direct order 104bcd 12spd chainrings from WTC when I was planning to run Shimano 12spd as no one had them in stock. Took a month to get them

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Because that was based on Kona. Sam is worried about them sitting too close to the frame, particularly with chainring bolts. Non boost will also compound that, in my mind.
Well I have a set of M8100 170mm boost cranks if you can work out the chainring drama...

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I had to direct order 104bcd 12spd chainrings from WTC when I was planning to run Shimano 12spd as no one had them in stock. Took a month to get them
I had to order an AbsoluteBlack HG2 chainring off TheOddSpoke when I went shimano 12sp. To fit GX cranks...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Snap, sorry, found that before seeing your reply. So sick of bike companies making simple things so hard.
Yeah sorry I did check and see that neither MTBD or Pushys had stock but figured the premium to buy direct from WTC for a solution that's guaranteed to work probably wasn't the end of the world. Looks like SCV is the distro though so it might be worth checking with them if they're available.

Edit: expected 15/09/20 but RRP is almost same as buying direct.

moorey

call me Mia
It’s an outrageous price for a chainring...and neither pushys or MTBD specify the drop stop A option, only 12sp. This is destined for the FW thread either way.