11/12sp compatibility Q

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
It’s an outrageous price for a chainring...and neither pushys or MTBD specify the drop stop A option, only 12sp. This is destined for the FW thread either way.
Agreed it's ridic but the 12sp Shimano rings that might not do the job properly are still $85 so...

Other options include finding a second hand 170mm GXP DM crankset for which there are loads of chainrings available but that doesn't meet your Shimano requirement.

moorey

call me Mia
Agreed it's ridic but the 12sp Shimano rings that might not do the job properly are still $85 so...

Other options include finding a second hand 170mm GXP DM crankset for which there are loads of chainrings available but that doesn't meet your Shimano requirement.
But the 12sp rings don't definitly do the job. Internet says both, and @The Duckmeister says an 11sp chain runs a bit rough on them.
A bloody chain is $80 anyway. Between cranks, chainring and chain, thats nearly $400, and no confirmation it all runs perfect on 11sp derailleur and cassette.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
But the 12sp rings don't definitly do the job. Internet says both, and @The Duckmeister says an 11sp chain runs a bit rough on them.
A bloody chain is $80 anyway. Between cranks, chainring and chain, thats nearly $400, and no confirmation it all runs perfect on 11sp derailleur and cassette.
Yeah sorry that was my point, if it's $85 for a Shimano ring that might not work (whether that's because it's a bit rough, or the chain bounces off easily, or it wears out too quickly) then $150 for WTC, while objectively extortionate, is at least guaranteed to work with 11sp der/chain/cassette

Buy a new WTC ring and @DMan's cranks to cut out some of the surplus. Or that OneUp thing^

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Yeah sorry that was my point, if it's $85 for a Shimano ring that might not work (whether that's because it's a bit rough, or the chain bounces off easily, or it wears out too quickly) then $150 for WTC, while objectively extortionate, is at least guaranteed to work with 11sp der/chain/cassette

Buy a new WTC ring and @DMan's cranks to cut out some of the surplus. Or that OneUp thing^
$110 for the Oneup system from MTBDirect

moorey

call me Mia

Waiting for @Nerf Herder to check if the Burgtec DM runs 11sp chain.

moorey

call me Mia
The oneup is DM, but with a bolt on ring. Might present the same potential frame clearance as a regular chain ring. Otherwise, could be a good option if Bergtec isn't 11sp.

moorey

call me Mia
Interestingly they show both 12sp and 9-12sp as options of each chainring size..

EDIT: From Oneup site the other option is - "Compatibility: All Switch Carriers; 9, 10, 11 and 12 Speed SRAM Chains (not compatible with 12 Speed XTR Chains) " - https://int.oneupcomponents.com/collections/switch/products/switch-replacement-rings
It only mentions 9-12 SRAM chains....which tells me that the shimano 12 is different (not just XTR)
Maybe I've just over read, and confused myself to the point of choice paralysis as usual :(
Cheers man.

Edit. I'll be running an 11sp chain though.....so that should work regardless. Think i'll try this if the Burgtec DM doesn't work.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
It only mentions 9-12 SRAM chains....which tells me that the shimano 12 is different (not just XTR)
Maybe I've just over read, and confused myself to the point of choice paralysis as usual :(
Cheers man.

Edit. I'll be running an 11sp chain though.....so that should work regardless. Think i'll try this if the Burgtec DM doesn't work.
You need this version

moorey

call me Mia
You don't get a choice of offset on the shimano (not applicable). Should't that be important, given they don't specify non boost/boost/super boost?