11 speed cassettes...

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all... Have a simple question really..

Can I use an xtr 11 speed cassette with my xx1 groupset?

Currently there's about $100 difference in new price..

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I believe so. I would be going the opposite tho, Xtr shifters, Sram cassette..
I know you need a driver for the hub for sram, but the span of 10 to 42 outweighs Shimano's 11 to 40.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I believe so. I would be going the opposite tho, Xtr shifters, Sram cassette..
I know you need a driver for the hub for sram, but the span of 10 to 42 outweighs Shimano's 11 to 40.
Fair call and although I don't really use my 10t ring, it's always an option if i need it. Just pre-empting replacement costs.

I guess it would also be handy to be able to switch to 2x fairly easily if I ever need/want to

link1896

Mr Greenfield
"XTR CS-M9000 cassette fits on a standard Shimano 9/10 speed mountain freehub and requires no special freehub driver" according to the description on JensonUSA's product page so you'll need to swap freehub bodies too.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
both the XG1180 at $259 and 315 grams, and the XG1195 at $294 (with a free chain?) and 275 grams seem like a bitter deal than the $265/331 gram XTR cassette.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Fair call and although I don't really use my 10t ring, it's always an option if i need it. Just pre-empting replacement costs.

I guess it would also be handy to be able to switch to 2x fairly easily if I ever need/want to
If you already have a sram 11sp, and want to switch to shimano 11 sp you'll obviously need to change your free hub. You got a spare shimano free hub or have you factored one into your costs?

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you already have a sram 11sp, and want to switch to shimano 11 sp you'll obviously need to change your free hub. You got a spare shimano free hub or have you factored one into your costs?
Well aware.. Just thinking out loud

Weight of the cassette doesn't bother me all that much.. Just replacement costs and also being able swap parts fairly easily between bikes.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I think xtr has some value on a second bike, because then you can swap the rear wheel over between bikes and everything works.