11 speed mixy/matchy?

damo666

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Apologies if this subject has already been done to death....

I need to replace a broken SRAM NX 11sp rear derailuer, but just trying to confirm if I need to keep it in the SRAM family?

Can I use a Shimano 11sp rear deraileur with the rest being SRAM? (ie, SRAM NX/GX shifter & cassette, with an XT derailuer?).

Some internet info seems to indicate that the pull ratio's on the 11sp stuff are now the same, but I cant find anything definitive.

Any advice appreciated!!

moorey

call me Mia
Based on sample of one, X1 shifter on XT mech felt nicer than XT shifter on X1 mech....and NX shifter and mech felt nasty all round, albeit with Sunrace 11sp cassette.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep for sure you can in fact my mate Jared does exactly that. He runs SRAM cassette with a oneup 46T expander, shimano XTR deraillieur and shifters with a SRAM chain ring and cranks. Says it shifts way better then SRAM or Shimano on their own. Disclaimer: Jared is a rad dude but obviously he wouldn't know me from a bar of soap, ok well he might be he's not really my mate and bloody Josh Carlson photo bombing.... He's a rad dude too.

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

Yep for sure you can in fact my mate Jared does exactly that. He runs SRAM cassette with a oneup 46T expander, shimano XTR deraillieur and shifters with a SRAM chain ring and cranks. Says it shifts way better then SRAM or Shimano on their own. Disclaimer: Jared is a rad dude but obviously he wouldn't know me from a bar of soap, ok well he might be he's not really my mate and bloody Josh Carlson photo bombing.... He's a rad dude too.

does exactly that. He runs SRAM cassette with a oneup 46T expander, shimano XTR deraillieur and shifters with a SRAM chain ring and cranks
He's running Rotor chainrings and cranks now, but that's a symantic point. The SRAM one peice cassettes are god damned works of art, and so light compared to their Shimano alternatives (wieght, not wallet wise). It's an awesome setup one way or another, and there is a long and distinguished list of people who are worse to copy than Gravey Train for bike setup tips...so +1, copy him.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

Irrelevant to the OPs query. His concern was with a shitmano derailleur playing nice with his existing SCAM shifter. Which they do.

Gra-Gra is running both shitmano mech and trigger. And probably really only needs a 42/13 single speed to smash the 99%.......

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Irrelevant to the OPs query. His concern was with a shitmano derailleur playing nice with his existing SCAM shifter. Which they do..
Mmmm whilst I did not address the OP's actual set up I think my post whilst in jest clearly indicates it's possible to mix and match as the title of the thread suggests. You gonna flame Art and ZAF too or just me?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Mmmm whilst I did not address the OP's actual set up I think my post whilst in jest clearly indicates it's possible to mix and match as the title of the thread suggests. You gonna flame Art and ZAF too or just me?
mmmm.......I think ZAFs level of self immolation couldn't even be touched by my wife's culinary skills, and Art, well Art's, art. The less said on that the better.

Whilst my post was also in jest, as is clear in the closing paragraph, I think it adequately addressed the Facebook generation's habit of only reading a click bait headline before jumping headlong into a poorly considered opinion......:whythefuckcantIdobehindsofaanymore:

Reactions: Zaf

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Those bits you listed have always been interchangeable, the only incompatibility has been shifters and rear derailleurs.

As per the *specific* question in the OP, yes, by some quirk of parallel evolution, SPAM and Shimano MTB 11-sp. shifters & derailleurs work on the same cable pull ratio, so unlike previous families of stuff are completely compatible. Incidentally, it's also the same pull ratio as SPAM 8 & 9-sp, so if you're still stuck in the dark ages of those gear ranges, you can now run a clutchy derailleur.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Grave dig 11 months old but thought I would try .
Does a shimano 9 speed derailleur work OK with a 10 speed chain , cassette and shifter ?
I am trying it to see what i need to go from 9 to 10 speed??

moorey

call me Mia
9sp sram shifter on any 9sp cassette, with 10sp Shimano derailleur. Can’t mix 9sp across brands, nor 10sp.

Short version...get yourself a 10sp shifter in whatever brand your derailleur is.

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Is there much difference across brands in the affordable 11 speed cassettes in terms of shifting and durability? Looking at Sunrace MS8 or Shimano SLX 11-42 options.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Thanks but question really was will a Shimano 9 speed derailleur really know its being driven by a Shimano 10 speed shifter.? will it work as a 10 speed if chain is also 10 speed
Can it feel pain ??