11 speed mixy/matchy?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Thanks but question really was will a Shimano 9 speed derailleur really know its being driven by a Shimano 10 speed shifter.? will it work as a 10 speed if chain is also 10 speed
Can it feel pain ??
I just did my 9 yr old daughter's 9sp system up with an 9sp 11-46 cassette and GX 11sp derailleur so I could dump her 3X and go 1X with a clutch. She finds it much easier now. Is that relevant to anything?
And yes, I believe it can. But that's just me...

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Of course Moorey you were right there is something fundamentally different about 10 speed derailleurs= works better.
Also went to the shop to buy a longer B screw they are M4 fine thread.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Thanks but question really was will a Shimano 9 speed derailleur really know its being driven by a Shimano 10 speed shifter.? will it work as a 10 speed if chain is also 10 speed
Can it feel pain ??
In short, no it won't work, and while it won't feel pain, you probably will.

In long, up to 9-sp. MTB and most road 10-sp. Shimano used a common actuation ratio, so you could mix & match shifters & derailleurs as long as the shifters matched the number of gears, and the cassette fitted with the derailleur. But with MTB 10-sp. they began tweaking shit, to the end result that you must have a MTB 10-sp. derailleur and shifter for it to work properly.

There is a big difference between Shimano 7/8/9/road 10-sp. and later MTB (and for that matter road 11-sp). pull ratios, and they simply cannot be mixed to any degree of function. A 9 (or 8, or 7)-sp. derailleur will move way too far on a MTB 10-sp. indexed cable pull to align with each gear.

Last edited:

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Thanks Duck . was it when big cassettes came into play that the derailleurs 10 speed and above really had to change or was it the closer cogs ?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
More the cog spacing than the size. as they've got closer, when you have an older derailleur working on a long actuation ratio, a small adjustment of the cable can have a relatively big effect on the derailleur tuning. Dirt & shit adding friction to the cable accentuates the problem.

Shortening the actuation ratio (which SRAM did many years ago) makes the derailleur less sensitive to fine cable adjustments, enabling better fine-tuning because you need to adjust more cable to get the same effect, and also less sensitive to cable friction, up to a point. The trade-off is a longer shifter stroke, although that can be altered through internal design of the shifter.

The funny thing is, when SRAM went 10-sp, they lengthened their actuation ratio (and carried it over to road 11-sp.), but went back to damn near what they did originally when they went 11-sp. MTB. I don't know what they've done to it for 12-sp.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The 10sp saw few big shifts in design for how the derailleur was leveraged (off an extension of the cage, rather than the derailleur cage itself)
Er, no. the derailleur and cable leverage is entirely on the body of the derailleur, not the cage, always has been. The location of the anchorage points in relation to the main body pivots is what derives the actuation ratio.

Clutches were introduced around two years after 10-sp. systems, so the change in ratio has eff-all to do with them.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Still wrong.... The whole Shadow derailleur family, which includes 8/9, 10 and 11-sp. variants, uses that kind of cable anchor arm. The length of that arm, plus the feeder point/outer cable stop (upper left on the derailleur on the right above) is where the difference between 8/9-sp. and later versions lies (the cable stop sits much closer in to B-link pivot than on 10-sp).