11sp derailleur with a 10sp cassette

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Looking to increase cassette range. Will a shimano 11sp long cage derailleur work with a 10sp cassette/ shifter? Only asking as it's hard to find 10sp derailleurs at the mo so was wondering if an 11sp would work?

moorey

call me Mia
I believe the same. @The Duckmeister will confirm.
Can’t advise on the pull ratios of a SRAM 11sp derailleur though. It’s been discussed, but I forget the outcome.
Goatlink not enough?

DMan

I believe the same. @The Duckmeister will confirm.
Can’t advise on the pull ratios of a SRAM 11sp derailleur though. It’s been discussed, but I forget the outcome.
Goatlink not enough?
Look, all good. Looking at a kids bike that needs some repairs. I had it in my head that up to 11sp the pull ratios were the same, but not 11sp so I though I's check.. I'll actually price up going 9sp WR cassette with a 10sp derailleur which I know will work.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
10 sp Shimano shifter and cassette will work with 11 sp derailleur.

I'm running a m980 shifter with m8000 derailleur and 11-42 Sunrace 10 sp cassette.

Cheaper option would be the m6000 10 sp derailleur.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Offered you an XT while you were here the other day...
yes i know, thought i was sorted then another guy wants to buy the bike i have, so am building up my last spare frame, thought i had an xt but turns out it’s 3x front

Last edited:

DMan

I went full microshift. 11-42 with microshift clutched derailleur and shifter. 10sp chain.