11spd XT v Box 1 derailleurs

jrewing

Eats Squid
Are Box one good derailleurs?
My XT medium is wearing in the pivots and getting sloppy.
Know nothing of Box in the real world. Planning on racing enduro in Tassie and would like good dependable power shifting on terrain.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Know nothing of Box in the real world. Planning on racing enduro in Tassie and would like good dependable power shifting on terrain.
One thing to consider, especially if travelling to Tassie to race, is the finding/borrowing Shimano replacement parts will be more likely than Box parts.

Lucaw

Next in line
I had a box 3 on my craftworks and it was terrible.
It had more play then a Shimano tourney and couldn’t be made to not skip in 2 gears (this is with a box cassette and chain).
I ended buying a microshift shifter and derailleur and it is much better

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
The clutch on Box 3 is not adjustable and can't be switch off/on, it's always on.
Box 1 can be adjusted but I'm not sure if it has an on/off switch.
I didn't have any troubles with my Box 3 derailleur skipping, in fact it took minimal tuning to work. But I also don't break derailleur hangers with sheer leg force. ;)

From what I hear on RB, Shimano 11 speed is pretty dependable - I wouldn't know, I'm stuck in 9 and 10 speed world.

It looks like Box 1 derailleurs are compatible with Shimano 11 speed road shifters, but it says nothing about MTB shifters, so you would likely need to get a derailleur and shifter combo. A new Shimano 11 speed derailleur would probably set you back less than a new Box 1 shifter and derailleur. Besides, Shimano clutch is both adjustable and switchy on or off.

I agree with @creaky, it would be easier to find Shimano spares than Box components.

TL,DR spend money on bike parts!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Why is the clutch on Shimano rear mech adjustable? I’ve never felt the need to adjust my Sram derailleurs. It either reduces chain slap or it doesn’t.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Why is the clutch on Shimano rear mech adjustable? I’ve never felt the need to adjust my Sram derailleurs. It either reduces chain slap or it doesn’t.
It can lose tension with use (or maybe ham-fisted force?).
I've never had to tension one, but the option is there if you need to.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine lose tension over time. Even quicker since installing an oval chainring as the derailleur arm is constantly moving in a small arc with each pedal stroke.
I also like higher than factory tension on the clutch to keep the chain slap down. Current Deore needs increased tension from factory as I get more chainslap than with previous XT.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Mine lose tension over time. Even quicker since installing an oval chainring as the derailleur arm is constantly moving in a small arc with each pedal stroke.
I also like higher than factory tension on the clutch to keep the chain slap down. Current Deore needs increased tension from factory as I get more chainslap than with previous XT.
Maybe I’m not very observant but I’ve never had my my Sram mechs lose tension.
Is it because Shimano offer adjustment that it comes loose? Chicken or egg?

moorey

call me Mia
I add more tension on some bikes than others. Some can handle it, some have shifting effected. More is better when I can.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Maybe I’m not very observant but I’ve never had my my Sram mechs lose tension.
Is it because Shimano offer adjustment that it comes loose? Chicken or egg?
Sheesh... Sees one post teasing his beloved SRAM and he's on the attack! :p