12sp XT or XTR hubs

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
If they're quiet from new and then that noise comes along after a few rides, I would say quite often, obviously lubed to start with. Shimano hubs have always been horrid.
Sigh. Haters have to hate...

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
No the noise that shows up is a aweful under load grinding type noise that for me got worse and worse so that even on flats it made the sound. The grease at the interface of the hub and freehub shut it up.

Freewheel wise mine are clicky. There was a period where it was quiet and it was glorious (Next wheelset will have quiet hubs just hear the thump thump thump of boofing thorough rock gardens). I intervened at about 450km. They have 700km on them now and have no weird sounds.

DMan

No the noise that shows up is a aweful under load grinding type noise that for me got worse and worse so that even on flats it made the sound. The grease at the interface of the hub and freehub shut it up.

Freewheel wise mine are clicky. There was a period where it was quiet and it was glorious (Next wheelset will have quiet hubs just hear the thump thump thump of boofing thorough rock gardens). I intervened at about 450km. They have 700km on them now and have no weird sounds.
I don't mind clicky myself. :)

gillyske

Likes Dirt
did you go for XT or XTR? Im keen on building a new rear wheel and the price on the XT seems hard to pass up

DMan

did you go for XT or XTR? Im keen on building a new rear wheel and the price on the XT seems hard to pass up
Hubs arrived yesterday. The rear spins nicely and is very quiet. Definitely going to be fast engagement and the faster you go the quieter they will be

DMan

how these are getting along, had a few rides on them?
I haven't ridden them yet!!! From conversations here I decided that I needed to change the front chainring in order to run the SLX chain. So I ordered an Absolute Hyperglide+ oval and after a week the place I ordered it from confirmed with me that they couldn't supply. So I've ordered another from MTB Direct and I'm hoping, after 10 fucking days, that Aus post might finally decide they want to deliver it today. So, long story short, I should finally get it all together this weekend. Then I'll let you know :)

DMan

how these are getting along, had a few rides on them?
Finally rode. I'm loving the SLX drivetrain over GX. Much quieter and smoother. The shifter is a bit firmer though. By the time I'd finished my ride today my thumb was sore. But it'll toughen up. Love the XT hubs. The engagement is fast. They aren't super quiet but have a nice low speed buzz, but as you go faster they go silent. Spin nicely. We'll see about longevity I guess