13 speeds

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Which presumably means we'll all be shuffled along to 157 Super Boost when the marketing train moves forward in a couple of years?
Bring it on...shoulda been the standard we went straight to (given it was an already existing standard). Boost 148 was the biggest waste of time.

slowmick

38-39"
Most of us started with a 32 tooth chain ring as the do everything gear - which is neither of the rings on 2x10. The high gear is also too low on a 2x10 so it seems a waste of a front deraileur after 3x.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm an unashamed devotee of 3x; the 32T middle ring covers a lot of stuff, while a (nowadays) relatively tight cassette keeps the gear steps slick. The big & small rings are the range extenders at each end. 2x is a bit of a dog's breakfast, 'cos neither ring is the right size most of the time.....

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'm an unashamed devotee of 3x; the 32T middle ring covers a lot of stuff, while a (nowadays) relatively tight cassette keeps the gear steps slick. The big & small rings are the range extenders at each end. 2x is a bit of a dog's breakfast, 'cos neither ring is the right size most of the time.....
That is XXX yes?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
To make a 2x10 golden, just change the big ring to a 32. Honestly, if I could have Kev the Kona Silence as 2x10 I would. I sure would miss the modded dropper shifter though.

... but if it has to be 1x ... I care much less about the increments, and more about the granny, as I do not want to get off and walk... so x10, x11, x12, x13... pfft, just give me 30 up front and 50 out back at a minimum.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Most of us started with a 32 tooth chain ring as the do everything gear - which is neither of the rings on 2x10. The high gear is also too low on a 2x10 so it seems a waste of a front deraileur after 3x.
You can run a few custom combinations on a 2x, I have 32,22 x 11-36 and 36, 22 x 11-36, it's dependent on the frame how well it works, but I rarely drop chains. It's not a very good combination on most new frames to go 2x or 3x because of the low BB, the moment you forget on a log roll over, the large chain ring digs in and you get thrown over the bars.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
It's not a very good combination on most new frames to go 2x or 3x because of the low BB, the moment you forget on a log roll over, the large chain ring digs in and you get thrown over the bars.
Yep exactly that happened to me.
Took off big ring after that .
No 1 x here.

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I'd be happy with 12 speed 10-48
Then Garbaruk has you covered (if you have an XD freehub) with this CNC'd beauty: https://www.garbaruk.com/12-speed-xd.html?category=11

Just 324 grams, and a choice of 8 colours for the big cog.

I have got a one of their 10-46 11sp (only 290gr) cassettes here, waiting for my old GX cassette to die. They also make 10-48, 10-50 for 11sp, as well as HG and Microspline 12sp cassettes (just not in 10-48.)

I'm an unashamed devotee of 3x; the 32T middle ring covers a lot of stuff, while a (nowadays) relatively tight cassette keeps the gear steps slick.
I like 3x9 too but the cassette range is no tighter than most, in fact popular 9sp 11-32 (EG CS-M770) has the exact same first 9 cogs as lots of HG 11 and 12sp cassettes (EG CS-8000 11-42, 11-46, PG1230 11-50...)

I like paying $70 for a 250gr cassette. I like $25 XT level chains. Except it seems that despite being way thinner, 12sp chains last a lot longer - wish they'd release new 9sp (and maybe 10/11sp) chains with latest coatings and other tech.

Last edited: