140mm travel frame choice advice...

Z

Zaf

I loved it, it had a weird kit on it wheels wise because he'd stolen gear off his Highball.
ENVE XC wheels, ENVE downhill bars, reverb, 120mm pike and CCDB inline, XX1 and guides for go and stop duty.

Ride was really solid for out here in Central Australia, the 110mm just blows you forward without any lag when pedalling, and has this great ramp up to it that doesn't make you want to hold back, really capable. There's a little rocky bit in particular out here that made me notice it, on the Yeti, even with the long travel the wheels get pulled into the bumps, and it sort of rattles as you come through, the Stumpy less so, but you can still feel it, underneath you. The Phantom just floated it, disappeared the bumps in a way that I've never felt any other bike do, and I thought it was just a feature of the wagon wheels right up until I put my Stumpy/s across it and they didn't do it in the same way.

Just so there are no illusions. This was one rides impressions, never spent a long time on it, and the bike was fairly new as well. But the initial impression of "this is a great bike" was there, and if they made a carbon, I'd want to buy one.

Last edited by a moderator:

moorey

call me Mia
If that is the only onion that's not a bad one
Totes, and I love onions :woot:

If Chigs can go down to 120, the Focus Spine is a hell of a bike, I would love one myself...but good luck getting a frame, compete bikes are selling faster than they can get them in stock.

edit. Spine, not spline :behindsofa:

Last edited:

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
Totes, and I love onions :woot:

If Chigs can go down to 120, the Focus Spline is a hell of a bike, I would love one myself...but good luck getting a frame, compete bikes are selling faster than they can get them in stock.
If you want one mate I could always ask my "Focus" guy if he can get one for you :D

robbieraver

Likes Dirt
So far ive read a whole lot of chit chat about everything but 140mm bikes...:drum:

Ive whilttled it down to 4 contenders
Giant trance
Mondraker foxy
Banshee spitfire

Yeti sb5(127mm) i know but its a yeti and ive love em

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I have limited experience with more boutique brands, for FWIW I really like the way the Giant rear suspension works. It certainly performs well above its pay grade and I personally like the way Giants look.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
So far ive read a whole lot of chit chat about everything but 140mm bikes...:drum:

Ive whilttled it down to 4 contenders
Giant trance
Mondraker foxy
Banshee spitfire

Yeti sb5(127mm) i know but its a yeti and ive love em
Nothing wrong with Yeti's.... Except in the eyes of people who don't have one.

SB5 is a cracking trail bike...... But expensive.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Nothing wrong with Yeti's.... Except in the eyes of people who don't have one.

SB5 is a cracking trail bike...... But expensive.
have they released a slightly more obese, but cheaper version? i stumbled upon an SB5 "Enduroooooo" which claims to be 300g heavier. i assume this is at a reduced cost, it is yeti however.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
....just sayin....
There be plenty of manufacturer's that have had issues with cracking frames, shitty pivot bushes :whistle: etc. My mates on his 4th Giant Anthem frame under warranty replacement.

have they released a slightly more obese, but cheaper version? i stumbled upon an SB5 "Enduroooooo" which claims to be 300g heavier. i assume this is at a reduced cost, it is yeti however.
Not seen the new pricing or availability of the cheaper (heavier) Yeti's yet, but i believe that there is something coming.
Yeti will no longer make Alu frames tho....