15+ years off....no worries

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Lived on my bike when I was a teen until it was stolen back in '05....even then I never really had time to ride after I finished uni in '03 but still.

Then the usual, wife, kids etc.... until one day last year I said fuck it and bought a new bike. Got a Go Pro for xmas so figured I would start recording some rides to track my own progress and for a bit of fun. Going to do some races as well this year which is going to be fun considering my last race would have been back in 2000.... I expect it will hurt but cannot wait.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Welcome back!
I was the same, disappeared to cars and motorbikes from about 20yo.
Returned to bikes at around 35yo. Did my first ever MTB race at age 39.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Welcome back!
I was the same, disappeared to cars and motorbikes from about 20yo.
Returned to bikes at around 35yo. Did my first ever MTB race at age 39.
Cheers - I cannot believe I left it this long, the feeling of just grabbing the bike and hitting the trails is truly something.

Now just gotta find me some riding buddies that live near by that are not 20 years my junior :rolleyes:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Welcome Dangals.

That trail looks familiar but can't say I remember that one. Somewhere mid mountains - Hazelbrook-ish?

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Welcome Dangals.

That trail looks familiar but can't say I remember that one. Somewhere mid mountains - Hazelbrook-ish?
Cheers for the welcome....technically one of the long time lurkers as I was here back when it was called Farkin.....:oops:

Little lower on the mountains ;)

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I was the same
Another one here, albeit been riding for a few years now.

The turning point was when I was throwing an easy thousand per track day and I was thinking cycling habit would be way cheaper and probably healthier (not sure because I do eat a lot of baked goods post ride).

Dangals

Likes Dirt
15 years hasn't slowed you down!
Yeah I must admit that I picked it back up rather quickly for the most part. Just gotta find somewhere I can practice jumping now as that is where I am least comfortable. Saw there is a decent track at Mill Creek which I might head to as it has both tables and gaps so could be a good progression spot.

Entered into the Thredbo Super Enduro in a couple of weeks which is funny as the last time I raced would have been at Thredbo for the interschools event back in 2000 :oops: - excited and yet nervous at the same time.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yeah I must admit that I picked it back up rather quickly for the most part. Just gotta find somewhere I can practice jumping now as that is where I am least comfortable. Saw there is a decent track at Mill Creek which I might head to as it has both tables and gaps so could be a good progression spot.

Entered into the Thredbo Super Enduro in a couple of weeks which is funny as the last time I raced would have been at Thredbo for the interschools event back in 2000 :oops: - excited and yet nervous at the same time.
Yep, I hear you. Jumping is my nemesis, but unfortunately we have nothing here to practice on. If our council wasn't so fucking useless they'd apply for a sports grant like we suggested (MTB Club) and put in a pump track. Kids and riders here would love it!

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Yep, I hear you. Jumping is my nemesis, but unfortunately we have nothing here to practice on. If our council wasn't so fucking useless they'd apply for a sports grant like we suggested (MTB Club) and put in a pump track. Kids and riders here would love it!
Absolutely, also there needs to be more trails at Lapstone, the 1 DH trail is just not enough, plus also is quite a jump in difficulty for those getting into it. Would be amazing if there was a smoother flow type trail with A/B lines as well so those new can progress up to riding proper DH tracks. They think because they green lit one track that it is enough... :rolleyes:

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Absolutely, also there needs to be more trails at Lapstone, the 1 DH trail is just not enough, plus also is quite a jump in difficulty for those getting into it. Would be amazing if there was a smoother flow type trail with A/B lines as well so those new can progress up to riding proper DH tracks. They think because they green lit one track that it is enough... :rolleyes:
The whole area along the river and escarpment (Richmond to Penrith) has been raped and pillaged by MX and 4WD wankers since the invention of internal combustion engines. I get why NP are hesitant to allow access, but I wish there was some middle ground.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
The whole area along the river and escarpment (Richmond to Penrith) has been raped and pillaged by MX and 4WD wankers since the invention of internal combustion engines. I get why NP are hesitant to allow access, but I wish there was some middle ground.
Agreed - shame as there is lots of good terrain that is relatively easy to access and being so close to Sydney would be a great spot for a better riding scene. We were saying this 20+ years ago when I was riding as a teen and it is a shame it has not really progressed much in that time

Last edited:

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube
Agreed - shame as there is lots of good terrain that is relatively easy to access and being so close to Sydney would be a great spot for a better riding scene. We were saying this 20+ when I was riding as a teen and it is a shame it has not really progressed much in that time
I think it's almost 20 years since they put the vehicle barriers at the bottom of the hill at Yellowmundee, but the pricks still get in there. I worked with a bloke 10 years ago who regularly rode his MX from there to Penrith, in a group, cutting new tracks and crossing the river. They got caught a few times, even fined ..... never stopped them going back though.