165mm Sram eagle cranks

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
My wife bought a new Scott Spark and the GX cranks are a bit long at 170mm. What options are there for running 165mm cranks as far as compatibility with other sram stuff or is it just a case of getting a new 165 Eagle crank set? If so, is it worth the extra to get GX over NX? I could always swap over the chainring off the current GX if needed....

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Any common SRAM crankset (NX/GX/descendant etc) should work as long as the spindle thickness is the same. Since its a new bike I'm guessing it might be a MY2019 which uses the new DUB BB standard so might be a bit harder to source a new set.

Unless you're a weight weenie, there's not much difference in NX vs GX cranks.

I'm not sure if going from 170 to 165 will make much difference though? I went from 175 to 165 to 170 and it all feels the same to me pedalling wise. Main difference I felt was having feet further apart when standing and manoeuvring the bike.

DMan

Any common SRAM crankset (NX/GX/descendant etc) should work as long as the spindle thickness is the same. Since its a new bike I'm guessing it might be a MY2019 which uses the new DUB BB standard so might be a bit harder to source a new set.

Unless you're a weight weenie, there's not much difference in NX vs GX cranks.

I'm not sure if going from 170 to 165 will make much difference though? I went from 175 to 165 to 170 and it all feels the same to me pedalling wise. Main difference I felt was having feet further apart when standing and manoeuvring the bike.
The problem is she's running a dropper and her seat height is fractionally too high due to not being able to drop it any further into the frame so she's a bit stretched at the bottom of the crank stroke. She had a bike-fit done where they put the sensors all over you, and it was something they picked up too on the little stickman on the computer. The 5mm difference should give her enough I hope.
Yeah, I'm thinking the NX are the cheapest option and change the chainring over.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
The problem is she's running a dropper and her seat height is fractionally too high due to not being able to drop it any further into the frame so she's a bit stretched at the bottom of the crank stroke. She had a bike-fit done where they put the sensors all over you, and it was something they picked up too on the little stickman on the computer. The 5mm difference should give her enough I hope.
Yeah, I'm thinking the NX are the cheapest option and change the chainring over.
Is it possible to change the dropper to shorter model?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DMan

Is it possible to change the dropper to shorter model?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unfortunately this was the shortest I found.
Ah damn! Thats fair enough. Just get 10mm thicker pedals? ha

This isn't too bad for $135 delivered (using 10% off code) if its a DUB BB : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SRAM-NX...h=item4d835a6e27:g:Ud4AAOSwWW5cAjYw:rk:3:pf:0

No mention of the chainring offset though. I'm guessing its boost.
Cheers mate. Pushys are great. I'll get it quicker. It certainly seems, shopping about, that the most cost effective way is just to go NX
What's code for 10% off by the way??

Last edited:

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately this was the shortest I found.

Cheers mate. Pushys are great. I'll get it quicker. It certainly seems, shopping about, that the most cost effective way is just to go NX
What's code for 10% off by the way??
PRESENTS10 ... It should work for everyone .. maybe only eBay plus users?

rsclio

Likes Dirt
My wife has also got a spark
Hers is small and the dropper is only 100mm drop but the larger sizes are 125mm drop
She could go 125mm drop easy.
If your wifes bike is medium or larger could swap droppers?

DMan

My wife has also got a spark
Hers is small and the dropper is only 100mm drop but the larger sizes are 125mm drop
She could go 125mm drop easy.
If your wifes bike is medium or larger could swap droppers?
Same as your wife then. Small frame with a 100mm dropper. I know there are small travel droppers again but they are veeeerrrrry pricey...

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same as your wife then. Small frame with a 100mm dropper. I know there are small travel droppers again but they are veeeerrrrry pricey...
I run a bmx brake cable attached to the seat and down to the seat post clamp to limit the travel of the dropper.
My Mrs has short legs and I only get 70mm of dropper post use for her, it's very quick to disconnect one end and at full travel post height my son can ride it.

DMan

I run a bmx brake cable attached to the seat and down to the seat post clamp to limit the travel of the dropper.
My Mrs has short legs and I only get 70mm of dropper post use for her, it's very quick to disconnect one end and at full travel post height my son can ride it.
Ha! That is a very clever idea! But there is no way my wife is going to let me ghetto her lovely new RC900.....