170mm fork recommendations..

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm considering changing out the 160mm Pike on my Remedy for something at 170mm.

The Pike is very nice but I'd like something with more adjustability, more supple off the top and generally supportive in fast successive hits.

On the rear I'm running Fox Factory X2, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I should be considering?
The bike is ridden at Redhill / YY / Harcourt and Lysterfield when travel isn't an option.

Any suggestions? Don't want to burn loads of coins but appreciate performance costs.
170mm
HSC and LSC
HSR and LSR
27.5"
Boost spacing.
Reliable and straightforward to undertake a lowers service on too.

Thanks in advance.

herbman

Likes Dirt
Was looking for the same type of fork last year.

Ended up with a second hand Factory Fox 36 with the RC2 damper and put a vorbsprung luftkappe kit the air spring.
Am really happy with now. At first it was a bit harsh on the small bump stuff but the luftkappe fixed that and it is some much more composed in the lumpy stuff than the pike it replaced.

doihoi

Likes Dirt
I've noticed riders move from Pike to Fox 36 - are they really good? I currently ride Pike, but I do like the 36 cause of the Kashima haha

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SR Suntour Durolux RC2C does. I've yet to meet a better fork when it comes to user servicing as well. Thing is really well thought out from that perspective. Pretty hard charging as well, and fraction of the cost.

Cane Creek Helm has everything but the HSR setting, and it's a bladder damper, so a pain in the arse to work on.
But OP is gonna get the Fox Grip2 anyway so it matches his rear, he just wanted a stamp of approval before spending $1500! ;)
I know $1500!! I'm drawn to the Suntour though, will have to look out for it. I believe it's on CRC?

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Don't get the Helm or Ohlins. They have issues with sucking lubricant into the damper and splitting the bladder.

I haven't tried the Grip 2 Fox36 but I do like the Grip on my Fox 34 rythm a lot, so its likely to be very good. MRP ramp control allows negative air spring to be adjusted independantly.

The Lyrik rc2 has a really poor poppet valve adjustment design that will eat itself over time.

The Mattoc 2 has lots of adjustability including end stroke on the air spring and hydraulic bottom out. Not as stiff as the opposition but is lighter as a payoff.

DVO Diamond is the best off the shelf fork I have tried. Very effective lsc and midvalve. Incredibly supple. Negative spring is independantly adjustable. Can be fitted with DVC to adjust air spring end stroke. Very stiff but a bit porky.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't get the Helm or Ohlins. They have issues with sucking lubricant into the damper and splitting the bladder.

I haven't tried the Grip 2 Fox36 but I do like the Grip on my Fox 34 rythm a lot, so its likely to be very good. MRP ramp control allows negative air spring to be adjusted independantly.

The Lyrik rc2 has a really poor poppet valve adjustment design that will eat itself over time.

The Mattoc 2 has lots of adjustability including end stroke on the air spring and hydraulic bottom out. Not as stiff as the opposition but is lighter as a payoff.

DVO Diamond is the best off the shelf fork I have tried. Very effective lsc and midvalve. Incredibly supple. Negative spring is independantly adjustable. Can be fitted with DVC to adjust air spring end stroke. Very stiff but a bit porky.

Great, thanks for that as I'm keen to avoid getting drawn into the hype of the Helm. Would avoid Ohlins regardless as I've not heard great things on forums from owners there...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Unsurprisingly, it's very similar in regard to LSC damping, but with better chassis stiffness and an added HSC adjuster that lets you iron out a lot of the square-edge and repetitive sharp bumps that tend to make the 34's choke.

My first Grip 2 36 I had no love for as it was quite harsh and chattery, but with the benefit of things learned too late it probably suffered the common Fox overgreasing of the airshaft, and presumably had grease filling up the negative air spring. My second one (the one I have now) is buttery, buttery smooth. Only difference is it had a travel change done by Cyclinic before it was sent to me which would have meant this second one has the appropriate amount of grease applied, but is otherwise totally stock. Hard to explain just how different these forks behaved.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Unsurprisingly, it's very similar in regard to LSC damping, but with better chassis stiffness and an added HSC adjuster that lets you iron out a lot of the square-edge and repetitive sharp bumps that tend to make the 34's choke.

My first Grip 2 36 I had no love for as it was quite harsh and chattery, but with the benefit of things learned too late it probably suffered the common Fox overgreasing of the airshaft, and presumably had grease filling up the negative air spring. My second one (the one I have now) is buttery, buttery smooth. Only difference is it had a travel change done by Cyclinic before it was sent to me which would have meant this second one has the appropriate amount of grease applied, but is otherwise totally stock. Hard to explain just how different these forks behaved.
I absolutely love my Fox34 Rythm with the Grip damper. The way it swallows bumps compared to my Fox 36 rc2 is mind blowing. So much so I've sourced a supposedly cheaper Grip damper to replace the rc2.

In saying that the Diamond is significantly better again. I really can't emphasise this enough, it's the best off the shelf fork going. The only forks that I have tried which are better, are custom valved Avalanche ones.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Running a 2017 Fox 34 Performance on the hardtail - 130mm travel, stock air spring (not EVOL) and like @Oddjob, find the Grip damper very good. And quiet too. I could do something with the air spring but I just don’t know if I need to.

Edit: I know this doesn’t help OP much, thought I’d just second @Oddjob’s praise of the Grip damper. I haven’t ridden a 36 with the Grip2 though.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you've got the money for it, the Formula Selva has been an amazing performing fork as well. It cost me a bit more than a Fox 36, and I got it prior to the Selva R release which gives it dual air compatibility so you can properly adjust you negative spring. I have the straight Selva and it can accept the updated airshaft if needed, but I have not found it wanting. There's also a coil version in prototype at the moment.
I did have a slight issue early on where the fork felt sticky after about 200km, but I think it was my fault with removing oil that sits on the air shaft piston head when installing the NeoPos, and it appears to need that bath for consistent performance. Lowers servicing is straightforward, although like I said, the SR Suntour simply cannot be beaten with how easy it is to pull down. It also comes stock with a tooled axle (the QR Lever is magnetically clicked 5mm Hex Key).

Although the box includes a lot (extra CTS modules, oils for servicing, air cap tools, etc.) and you really can go to town adjusting it, it's undoing is in the cost. Mine set me back about $1700 with NeoPos for it, which is a HUGE wad of cash.; especially when you can get MRP Ribbon's, DVO Diamond's, Marzocchi Z1's, Lyriks, etc. in around that $1000-$1300 mark. Given everyone saying how good the GRIP damper has been, I think the Zokes might actually edge out the Durolux after the updated prices (when i bought mine they were $600AUD landed). If you find another $500 down the back of the couch later, pull the GRIP out and slam a GRIP2 in and Robert's your father's brother.

If you want Italian styling and essentially the Armani of forks, get a Selva though.

Looks outstanding but perhaps a little too much for my needs / budget. Great suggestions here though so thanks for everything all. Will update as I make a decision.

Reactions: Zaf