18650 battery like this??!!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I wanted to try a light that took replaceable 18650 batteries. I settled on a Moon Meteor Storm Pro from Merlin as it reviewed well through various mtb reviews. Also as it said the 18650s can be taken out. Weeeellllll, they can but they are some fucking propriety battery which has the positive and negative on the same end! No complaints on the quality of light, it's very nice, but it's no good to me if I can't carry extra batteries I can purchase easily and cheap. I even read the review where someone even went to the effort of saying that they bought extra generic 18650s because the Moon ones were so dear and though "Sweet!".....
Here is the cell. Anyone here with electronics contacts that might know where I might find one like this? I'm having no luck looking on the net so far

Attachments

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a thought. Have you checked that the base of the battery isn't also connected to the negative. If you have a multimeter do a voltage test with the negative lead on the base and see if it is connected.

DMan

Just a thought. Have you checked that the base of the battery isn't also connected to the negative. If you have a multimeter do a voltage test with the negative lead on the base and see if it is connected.
I have. The end doesn't connect to anything. I put 2 standard 18650s in and they don't work.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I wanted to try a light that took replaceable 18650 batteries. I settled on a Moon Meteor Storm Pro from Merlin as it reviewed well through various mtb reviews. Also as it said the 18650s can be taken out. Weeeellllll, they can but they are some fucking propriety battery which has the positive and negative on the same end! No complaints on the quality of light, it's very nice, but it's no good to me if I can't carry extra batteries I can purchase easily and cheap. I even read the review where someone even went to the effort of saying that they bought extra generic 18650s because the Moon ones were so dear and though "Sweet!".....
Here is the cell. Anyone here with electronics contacts that might know where I might find one like this? I'm having no luck looking on the net so far
Geez that looks like a very unsafe 18650. Arcing would be just too easy. I've never seen anything like it, but I recommend sending a photo and message to supersports600 on ebay. He is the go to man for 18650's, and if any like this are available, he will have/get them.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

poita

Likes Dirt
This is very unhelpful, but fuck I pissed myself laughing at the picture of the cell. What planet did the idiot that approved that cell design come from??? The perils of "we can make you anything you want" China...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Geez that looks like a very unsafe 18650. Arcing would be just too easy. I've never seen anything like it,
+1, sure looks like a bad idea implemented perfectly. You would have to hope that the insulation between +ive and -ive is done well.

DMan

+1, sure looks like a bad idea implemented perfectly. You would have to hope that the insulation between +ive and -ive is done well.
Like I said the light reviews well and never any mention of the battery. I can buy them I've found, but at $32 each off Pushys its just not worth it.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Like I said the light reviews well and never any mention of the battery. I can buy them I've found, but at $32 each off Pushys its just not worth it.
Could you get a more 'standard' 18650 battery pack and join it to the lights instead?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I just spent 10 minutes doing a reverse google image search of what I'm guessing is the base of the protection circuit. ZERO results. I'm gonna say this is not generic but something Moon have custom designed to lock out non genuine 'battery' sales. we all know our stance on this behavior.

also google image searched lipo protection circuits and many variants. no hits for this risky arrangement.

I love a good lithium cell fire in the middle of the night.

DMan

I just spent 10 minutes doing a reverse google image search of what I'm guessing is the base of the protection circuit. ZERO results. I'm gonna say this is not generic but something Moon have custom designed to lock out non genuine 'battery' sales. we all know our stance on this behavior.

also google image searched lipo protection circuits and many variants. no hits for this risky arrangement.

I love a good lithium cell fire in the middle of the night.
That's exactly what it is Link. Made by Panasonic.

Similar design principle has been used in torches before. This one had both contacts on both ends. Double the shorting opportunities, wouldn't this one be fun to store. Candlepowerforums: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...Lantern-(Proprietary-18650-1x-18650-2x-CR123)
Even if it had terminals on both ends that would be something as like the review you could use normal cells but not charge them in the light. This battery only has terminals on one end so I can't even use standard cells. I'm going to cop the freight hit and send it back. The guy on ebay even said he couldn't get anything like that...