190mm steerer enough for 140mm headset stack?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hi all,

I found a couple of good forks for sale (27.5 Boost - 2019 Yari and a 2020 Fox 34 Performance Elite) and both have been cut to a 190mm steerer.

The frame supports the ZS44/28.6 | ZS56/40 headset standard.

Do you think 50mm is enough to accommodate a headset and a stem?

Most stems I'm looking at are between 30mm and 35mm stack height.

Any recommendations for a compact headset that doesn't cost the same as a Chris King?!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
My advice is be cautious, you always end up with less than you think with crown races, upper hs stack.
There are some nice low stack stems out there like the DMR Defy which are designed to offset the bar back up a bit so you don’t end up as ‘slammed’.

If you need to factor in a different stem, more expensive low stack headset and/or a high rise bar to get height again then it could end up being more economical to buy a full steerer length fork.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Depends on the handlebar height relative to saddle you need more than anyting.... It will be enough to fit a stem safely enough, but whether it's enough to fit it at the right height is another matter.

HamboCairns

It does sound like I'm pushing it a bit. I'm really torn between the slacker 27.5 or the better stack of the 29er when it comes to frames.

The Fox 34 Performance Elite (27.5) has a 205mm steerer btw.

moorey

call me Mia
It very much depends on the headset, but being ZS, I say yes. Most stems are 40mm stack. 35mm is easy enough to find. Even 30’s out there. Pay no attention to Duck and his XC priorities. Unless you’re an XC rider....then you don’t deserve suspensions anyway.

HamboCairns

It very much depends on the headset, but being ZS, I say yes. Most stems are 40mm stack. 35mm is easy enough to find. Even 30’s out there. Pay no attention to Duck and his XC priorities. Unless you’re an XC rider....then you don’t deserve suspensions anyway.
Hahaha! Got any headset recommendations?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Oi! Riding type doesn't really factor into it. Regardless of bike type/riding orientation, the rider's individual body geometry determines the difference between what is possible and what is necessary......

HamboCairns

Ok just did a binge read about headset standards!

From my understanding, I should be fine as the bottom part of the headset sits inside the head tube so the only height is the top part of the headset and this will be about 5-10mm at most? Should be fine then!

Scotty675

Cable thief
Ok just did a binge read about headset standards!

From my understanding, I should be fine as the bottom part of the headset sits inside the head tube so the only height is the top part of the headset and this will be about 5-10mm at most? Should be fine then!
The headset you listed states a stack height of 24.4 mm, that one lists a top cap of 12mm. Definitely better options out there but you will have to pay more.
At 190mm you will be looking for a low stack stem At least to get you there.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Found this on my ritual Sunday morning bargain hunt. Will get an extra 10% of with CLEARANCE10 code.
Seems expensive with your $40 budget but could save you some headaches and steerer spacers are cheap.

Last edited:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
either the CC slamset or you can get a Nukeproof Mix'N'Match top only headset to suit any frame config you have got, have a look at CRC
I can have a look to see if I have a 2nd hand one if you like?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My budget is around $40
Chain reaction has plenty of cheap headsets at the moment. Nuke proof is a reliable value option or brand X if you need to really jam on the savings break.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...s?f=4294967021&sort=pricelow&_requestid=47879

I put a brand X on my new bike to see how they go. I figured the price wasnt going to upset me if it was shit and at least I'll know. Can't report back as bike unridden bit it all went together as expected and feels smooth enough.