1998 Cannondale F1000

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So basically I sold my stp, I had originally wanted a XC bike but as time went by I was really set on a project to do and wanted to build and restore a road bike and build a fixie. I went to the tip hoping to find a road bike but not one bike at all, which was really strange. Than today I was driving with my dad to drop off some stuff for soccer and I suggested we drive down my grandparents old street as there was a council clean up.

To my surprise I saw a Cannondale F1000 which I instantly put in the car, hardly even expected it, seemed to be the find of the century for me, the bike just screamed for a rebuild. So here it is, needs some brakes, gears and wheels.

I hope to paint it and get some wheels, gears (I have spare sram x7 to put on, if I wish) and turn it into a XC bike or a ss ride everywhere bike. The bike has been sanded by whoever threw it out, can anyone enlighten me what year it was made from what I read on the web its 96 or around there.

By mrcrossi at 2010-08-31

Last edited:

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Firstly before you decide on anything, I'd check it for cracks/similar, as that could explain it being sanded down and then thrown out.
And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but after a quick search and some translating, it appears to be from 1998 and only 98 were made by the look of things.
Hope that helps.

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
Great find, l always wanted one of those cannondale's when l was younger.
Keep us posted of the build up.

rtd

Likes Dirt
Firstly before you decide on anything, I'd check it for cracks/similar, as that could explain it being sanded down and then thrown out.
And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but after a quick search and some translating, it appears to be from 1998 and only 98 were made by the look of things.
Hope that helps.
^What he said. I've picked up a few bikes/frames on council pick up days that have appeared to be amazing finds, but which have on later inspection had massive cracks, dints and bends etc - so check yours over thoroughly!

Looks like a sweet find though from pics, good on you!

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks guys I don't think it 98 as some had disc brake mounts on the rear and the one doesn't but still not 100% sure on the year.

I've checked it all no dents or cracks ( but I'll inspect one I strip the paint) all the treads and bolts are in tact, which is great.

I plan to build it as a SS XC bike and hopefully nice and light.

davo808

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^What he said. I've picked up a few bikes/frames on council pick up days that have appeared to be amazing finds, but which have on later inspection had massive cracks, dints and bends etc - so check yours over thoroughly!

Looks like a sweet find though from pics, good on you!
probably what the person who picked up my orange 224 thought, completely unnaware that it was riddled with cracks :D

Damienp

Likes Dirt
Awesome find.

I had one of those that i spent a small fortune on making a replica of the previous years team bike.

I had to sell it for car rego when i was poor and struggling. I have regretted it ever since.

I might be able to get it of the girl that bought it from me. I am told she still has it too. Hopefully it's still in decent condition.

The quality of those frames is insane. The attention to detail is superb.

powermutant

Likes Dirt
It's '98. A fantastic find. As a SS you shouldn't have too many problems building it up sub 11kg. I've got a '99 F700 that's still going strong.

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's '98. A fantastic find. As a SS you shouldn't have too many problems building it up sub 11kg. I've got a '99 F700 that's still going strong.
Thanks mate, that's good to know! The frame is great and as said above the attention to detail is second to none hopefully I can build it up light and cheap.

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Can't help with the year but its a great find

As they all said, check the main spots for cracks and the alike.
I have ridden a few f1000, some as full on XC rigs, and others as muck around SS rigs and i absolutely love them, If the frame in intact, a nice fresh red and new sticker kit would look very nice,
and if thats a working headshock, you could be sitting on a small gold mine...

Keep us posted with the build. And good luck.

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can't help with the year but its a great find

As they all said, check the main spots for cracks and the alike.
I have ridden a few f1000, some as full on XC rigs, and others as muck around SS rigs and i absolutely love them, If the frame in intact, a nice fresh red and new sticker kit would look very nice,
and if thats a working headshock, you could be sitting on a small gold mine...

Keep us posted with the build. And good luck.
Ill check for cracks once I strip all the paint (I cant seem to find any now).

I slammed the wheels off my bolder onto it to get an idea of what it looks like with wheels. The final build will be different, hopefully I can save and get a new wheelset with a 9ps hub so I have the option of going to gears. Im going to give ss XC a go but it will be my XC bike either way. Things to changed/ buy are: new v-brakes (hopefully realy good, cause im used to avid brakes), new short stem (this one is way to long), new wheels and hubs (in the future), new seat (and maybe post), new a seat clamp, new chain, new chain ring (this one is missing heaps of teeth) and the rest I have as spair parts.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Damienp

Likes Dirt
I have a spare head shock internals for that frame sitting in the shed somewhere as well. Never used. I upgraded to the longer travel version and installed it when I built it up new.

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a spare head shock internals for that frame sitting in the shed somewhere as well. Never used. I upgraded to the longer travel version and installed it when I built it up new.
You willing to sell? and how much?

I'll pm you

Last edited:

83AST

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alright, haven’t updated in a while. The bike is just starting to take off, done a fair bit of work and bought a few parts for it. Bike should be completed for under or on $300, (I have everything I need except seat), which I will be very pleased with.
The frame has been stripped not 100% done, currently at LBS getting headset removed so I can paint it, sometime this week.

Brake levers where looking very sad, so I stripped and polished them. Much better!

Some goodies I bought, costing just under $70 for everything below.

Hope to have it done soon so I can ride the beast haha