1x tweens bike

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hi all,

My son will soon grow out of his 24" wheeled bike and so we're taking an early look at some 27.5 wheeled mountain bikes. I'm surprised to find 3x cranks on these as 2x or even 1x would be so much better (lighter and less confusing).

Something along the lines of this bike - https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/...bikes/marlin/marlin-5/p/23134/?colorCode=teal

Has anyone bought an entry level bike for their children and added a 1x drivetrain?

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
How many gears? Easy to just ditch derailleurs and rings, replace with 1x NW ring (depending on crank BCD) and a sunrace wide range cassette (if bike is 9 or 10sp)

edit. Just saw it’s 7sp. Booo. I think you’re better off building up an XS 26” personally.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is this a shoe string budget, like your own bike endeavour?

If so, second hand...

And remember - teenagers like jumps, cheap bikes don't.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The Marlin 7 29" are a really good basis for an older child...

Agree with recommendations to go for a good quality 2nd hand 26"

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Buy secondhand, I sold my 2 boys size small 27.5 Kona Kula HT's a while back, both went for $900 each, sold locally to parents that have their kids at the local Dirt Skills program.
Fox 34's, SLX/XT, Reverb droppers, both with nearly new Minions, all good shit but well used. Decent bikes come up on fakebook buy & Sell.

Post an ad on your local MTB FB page asking for what you need, sometimes people have bikes sitting there doing nothing as they have not got around to OR cant be bothered with the hassle of advertising them.