1x10 ratios

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im looking at going to 1x10 with a RF narrow/wide ring up front. Whats considered a good 1x10 ratio for XC racing?

At the moment im on a 26-32 with a 11-36 cass. I barely ever get into the small ring at the front unless its a long climb (like climbing up stromlo) however I still want an easyish gear so im not stomping up the big climbs.

moorey

call me Mia
Whats your wheel size? I like 34t up front and 11-36 rear on a 26". My mate with a 29" insist on a 30t, but he is a candy arse.
That said, I'm going 36t up front next time, possibly even 38 if I can get a NW works components one (not sure they make them that big :pout:)

Edit: Meant to say mate runs 30t direct mount WTC

Last edited:

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whats your wheel size? I like 34t up front and 11-36 rear on a 26". My mate with a 29" insist on a 32t, but he is a candy arse.
That said, I'm going 36t up front next time, possibly even 38 if I can get a NW works components one (not sure they make them that big :pout:)
Cheers, its 27.5. Havent been riding it long though, came off at 29er

moorey

call me Mia
Cheers, its 27.5. Havent been riding it long though, came off at 29er
Without knowing your fitness, I'd suggest a 32 would be a good start, but that's personal opinion.
I've lent my spare 32 to mate. Getting it back soon, and won't need it for a week or 2. Happy to post it to you to try it out for sizing.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
he already has a 32t from his original post...

going off your post, try a 30t if you do need to drop down off the 32t every now and then.
to go lower than 30t, you'll need a sram spiderless crank if you dont already have one.

moorey

call me Mia

going off your post, try a 30t if you do need to drop down off the 32t every now and then.
to go lower than 30t, you'll need a sram spiderless crank if you dont already have one.
Crap...I don't read well. Thanks, Cpt Surly.

...or the Raceface stepped out 30t rings.....

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Yeah, but it won't be wide/narrow if it's currently on a 2x setup.

If a 32 on the front isn't low enough, I've got one of those 41t cogs for the cassette that you can try. Means you have to sacrifice one other gear (see Gripper's posts), but ultimately makes you realise that you need X01 or XX1 :)

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, but it won't be wide/narrow if it's currently on a 2x setup.
In Captains defence, he's referring to the fact that OP has tried the ratios and its too big

If a 32 on the front isn't low enough, I've got one of those 41t cogs for the cassette that you can try. Means you have to sacrifice one other gear (see Gripper's posts), but ultimately makes you realise that you need X01 or XX1 :)
Or just man up and get some legs....:behindsofa:

Gripo

Eats Squid
Start at the lowest gear that you ride in for a climb then work up from there....

Or if you actually have a push bike you might like to walk it up hills so start at the highest gear...

In the end you will have to compromise.....and it could be both ends of the range.

Go to Wolf Tooth Components website and look at their gear charts for all wheelsizes and they have a cadence chart also.

Print them out, plot the gear range you currently use against what you intend to use on a 1x.

What anyone would recommend is based on their bike/trails/fitness/hero status....1x gearing is specific to what you need.

Last edited:

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty happy with the 32 up front and 36-11 cassette.

I rarely use the 36 cog but some long climbs it's nice to have it to give the legs a rest.. On the other side, I rarely use the 11 tooth.. So pretty much in the sweet spot I reckon.

redline316

Likes Dirt
i run a 36t wolftooth up front 11/36 rear on my rocky mountain 29er sometimes its a bit tough going.I just try and suggest rides with my mates that aren't to hilly lol.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Stromlo isn't steep. If you're dropping into granny ring going up there you'll need to go 28 or 30 up front. But maybe you're just not ready for 1X ???

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
I was running 11-34 and a 33 p front until yesterday and thought i could push myself a little more up the hills so i just ordered a 34t. I have 650b wheels.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
What anyone would recommend is based on their bike/trails/fitness/hero status....1x gearing is specific to what you need.
Exactly. Australia doesn't have many steep climbs (well not in VIC), but take a trip to NZ and you'll be hating your 36t ring up front pretty quickly... Personally I like a ratio that allows me to ride anywhere.

quin66

Likes Dirt
Starting to not like very much my 36t chainring on recently purchased bike.26" of course. Going to give 34t a go me thinks.