1x10 - what chainring options are there?

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
hey.

I'm wanting to up(down?)grade to 1x10 as I only ever seemt to use the middle ring and I wanna get rid of the gripshifters so I may as well.

I've picked out all the parts I need except for the chainring... I can't find a single (non-ramped) chainring to suit XT cranks that specifies that it is suited to 10 speed.

I like the look of this one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17741 but it says only for 3/32 8/9 speed. It also says it's 'only' 5mm thick.

Looking at 10sp chains, they're 5.88mm wide. whatever that means? inside/outside I don't know. Would that fit over a 5mm chainring?

any suggestions?

cheers.

soontir

Likes Dirt
Black spire DH pro
I bought one by mistake, thought it was ramped and it wasn't. 42t 104
CRC normally have them on special.
Just bought some of the Black Spire Supergate 28/40. 64/104
CRC will say that they are 9 speed, but the black Spire site has them listed as 9/10 speed. Linky here
These will work with 10 speed chain and 9 for that matter.

Hope that helps

Last edited:

hiredassassin

Likes Dirt
Black spire DH pro
I bought one by mistake, thought it was ramped and it wasn't. 42t 104
CRC normally have them on special.
Just bought some of the Black Spire Supergate 28/40. 64/104
CRC will say that they are 9 speed, but the black Spire site has them listed as 9/10 speed. Linky here
These will work with 10 speed chain and 9 for that matter.

Hope that helps
yes that helps heaps - thanks. The DH rings or the mono veloce rings will be fine.

From the blackspire site:

SINGLE SPEED RINGS

CNC’d from 7075 T6

For use on Single Speed bikes
Cut from .160 material for strength and long life
Anodized w/Laser Etched Graphics
Compatible with 9 and 10 Speed chains

cheers!

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
I'm pretty sure virtually any 9 speed chainring will work fine. If you're interested I have an e-13 36T guide ring (which has seen time on 1x10) in great nick going cheap...

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
+1 on the Blackspire. I'm running that on my Tazer HT 1x10 and its smooth and solid quality. E13 is also a damn good ring as a non ramped.