2.2" on a 30mm Rim?

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
Hey all, on the weekend I managed to slice open a Maxxis Forekaster 2.6 tyre on the rear.

However just last week at the Pushys Car Park sale I picked up the same tyre in 2.2" for $20.

Am I on a hiding to nothing trying to fit the 2.2 in place of the 2.6 on a 30mm rim? A quick play suggested it wouldn't seat properly. But I'd rather not be out another $100 for new tyre...

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure about running that on a wheel I needed decent grip on. Might be too square and go from grip to slip in no time...

Possibly on the rear?

Staunch

Eats Squid
Soap up the bead up a little and put some more pressure in, she'll be right.
I run 2.25 Ardents on 30mm rims no dramas. I change tyres a lot depending on conditions and they fit perfectly every time I swap them onto my wheels.
It's always harder to bead new tyres as the rubber is a lot sticker than older, dusty, drier tyres

BorisBC

Likes Bikes
Soap up the bead up a little and put some more pressure in, she'll be right.
I run 2.25 Ardents on 30mm rims no dramas. I change tyres a lot depending on conditions and they fit perfectly every time I swap them onto my wheels.
It's always harder to bead new tyres as the rubber is a lot sticker than older, dusty, drier tyres
Sweet as mate, I'll give that a shot. Was trying it out last night watching the Wallabies, but got so pissed with the game I couldn't see straight, lol.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I ran some narrow Ikons on wide rims on my xc/trail, ok on the rear but I think it was too squared off on the front, didn't inspire confidence like a 2.35 did. Use it up on the back.