2.35/2.4 tyres to fit a 32mm internal rim?

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I've bought a set of new wheels that are 32mm internal. I want to run a set of 2.4 tyres. Pretty much everything I've read says a 2.4 should be ok. I need some decent sidewall protection as the majority of our riding is rocky, loose hardpack. I but don't want really heavy tyres as I climb lots so I'm thinking either Ardent EXOs both ends or maybe a 2.35 Magic Mary, Nobby Nic snakeskin combo? Any recommendations and do the Schwalbe have quite a big bag for their width?

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
What about the Rekon 2.4 WT?

A lot of people seem to favour them over Ardents, and they're made to suit 30-35mm internal width rims.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you considered a 2.3 Aggressor Exo? They're great as a rear and do very well climbing.

DMan

Have you considered a 2.3 Aggressor Exo? They're great as a rear and do very well climbing.
I'm running a 2.3 Aggressor on the front at the moment and I'm pretty happy with that. Just looking at options I guess.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
MM snakeskin up front , Rock razor SG on the rear .... or the Maxxis equivalent in exo+ if possible

DMan

2.4 will be perfect.

The schwalbes have a bigger volume than the maxxis for the same stated width generally.
I thought so. I'm thinking MM up front and an EXO on the back. I was running our local black trail yesterday and pinch flatted the Ardent on the rear up landing off a drop. had 26psi in it and I'm 74kg. Completely covered my mate who was following me with Stans..... So maybe even a DD on the rear

moorey

call me Mia
Ardent 2.4 are ‘ok’, 2.25 are shite. I’m not a great fan.
Another vote for the Aggressor as an all round tyre. Currently trying a rekon, much prefer the aggressor.

DMan

Ardent 2.4 are ‘ok’, 2.25 are shite. I’m not a great fan.
Another vote for the Aggressor as an all round tyre. Currently trying a rekon, much prefer the aggressor.
Yep. I was looking at the Rekon as suggested above but think the Aggressor is the go. I had a MM on the Reign and loved it for the conditions here so it might be MM front and Aggressor rear. Not sure if I want the weight penalty of the DD so I might just with the EXO.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep. I was looking at the Rekon as suggested above but think the Aggressor is the go. I had a MM on the Reign and loved it for the conditions here so it might be MM front and Aggressor rear. Not sure if I want the weight penalty of the DD so I might just with the EXO.
Forekaster 2.35 is good on the rear in exo if you want a lighter tyre. Better than the ardent and nobby nic.. More aggressive than the rekon as well.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running 2.4" Bontrager XR4 tyres on my 29mm / 30mm rims with very good results. They're a decent size relative to other similarly billed tyres. I certainly wouldn't want to run much smaller though.

DMan

I'm running 2.4" Bontrager XR4 tyres on my 29mm / 30mm rims with very good results. They're a decent size relative to other similarly billed tyres. I certainly wouldn't want to run much smaller though.
I looked at Bontys actually. Now, I've just realised they're 32mm internal... Everyone reckon I could still go 2.35 MM on the front and a 2.3 Aggressor the back?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've run a 2.4MM on 29mm rims and they're a touch square. I personally don't think it's going to be massively different but it might be enough to compromise the ride for you.

DMan

I've run a 2.4MM on 29mm rims and they're a touch square. I don't think it's going to be massively different but
I might risk it. I don't really want to and not sure if I have enough space to run a 2.5. I read a great Pinkbike writeup about wide rims and he ran a MM/Razor 2.35 on rim going from 25-35mm and the 35mm handled it fine so I should be fine.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I might risk it. I don't really want to and not sure if I have enough space to run a 2.5. I read a great Pinkbike writeup about wide rims and he ran a MM/Razor 2.35 on rim going from 25-35mm and the 35mm handled it fine so I should be fine.
I have run Rock razor on 29mm ID rims, they were pretty square and rolled like shite on the flats/uphill. The tread looks fast, maybe on gravity stuff where it’s just up then down it would work better.

moorey

call me Mia
Rock Razor is a shit version of an SS. Less grip, shitty side walls, no great weight saving....but it does have a noticeable bigger bag (2.3 v 2.4). I don’t believe I’ve seen a 2.5 in EXO unfortunately. Would be a perfect summer tyre for wider rims.