$2.5 million for Tassie West Coast trails and maybe Maydena?

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry, don't mean to hijack your froth and love it much so, But I feel people should know what battle is going on in the background with these trails.

Same person that's causing the issues here in Brisbane (Dr Flipflop ChrIstiNe HosKing) with its scare tactics and half truths, it's a QUT researcher, so it's got some pull with the governments. I've challenged it a few times online, and it can't respond with proper answers other than to delete the posts or hurl the typical NIMBY abuse.

View attachment 383773

View attachment 383772
She must have visited a different Derby. The only reason to visit there before mountain biking was for the (now defunct) Derby River Derby. That was the one day of the year it wasn't a ghost town. I suppose she would rather the locals only had the continuing, grinding poverty that sets in when the resource runs out to look forward to. Perhaps she like people to be dependent on the state for hand outs like she appears to be.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I suppose she would rather the locals only had the continuing, grinding poverty that sets in when the resource runs out to look forward to. Perhaps she like people to be dependent on the state for hand outs like she appears to be.
Sounds like the opinionated big mouthed earth muffin that took up the 50m of campsite for a few tents because she had 'been coming here for years before you fcking MTBers'

Flow-Rider

Burner
She must have visited a different Derby. The only reason to visit there before mountain biking was for the (now defunct) Derby River Derby. That was the one day of the year it wasn't a ghost town. I suppose she would rather the locals only had the continuing, grinding poverty that sets in when the resource runs out to look forward to. Perhaps she like people to be dependent on the state for hand outs like she appears to be.
It speaks a lot of rubbish, I'm not against environmental protection of endangered fauna and flora, but properly aligned and maintained MTB trails are going to have minimal impact on those issues, connecting people with the bush is what will save it in the end.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Sorry, don't mean to hijack your froth and love it much so, But I feel people should know what battle is going on in the background with these trails.

Same person that's causing the issues here in Brisbane (Dr Flipflop ChrIstiNe HosKing) with its scare tactics and half truths, it's a QUT researcher, so it's got some pull with the governments. I've challenged it a few times online, and it can't respond with proper answers other than to delete the posts or hurl the typical NIMBY abuse.

View attachment 383773

View attachment 383772
I don't believe that we need mountain bike trails "everywhere" and especially in places like World Heritage areas and the like. Yes, there is an impact to the natural ecology when a trail gets built and used.
The major trail networks in Tassie have been built in areas already affected by mining, logging, and have other users like dirt bikes and 4WDs. None of them are in "pristine wilderness"
I've heard people complaining about the Queenstown Mt Owen trails ruining the beautiful mountain, the same mountain which has been stripped bare of vegetation due to over a hundred years of sulfur emissions from mining.
We do need to be careful to not support developments in actual pristine or high risk areas (for want of a better description) as this can harm projects that are in suitable places.

I do get annoyed by people like Christine, who is a bushwalker who seem to think that all the walking tracks and the people that walk them make no impact whatsoever and use images of tire tracks to show how bad bikes are. I can also show some pretty shocking walking tracks in Tassie that are massive erosion nightmares.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't believe that we need mountain bike trails "everywhere" and especially in places like World Heritage areas and the like. Yes, there is an impact to the natural ecology when a trail gets built and used.
The major trail networks in Tassie have been built in areas already affected by mining, logging, and have other users like dirt bikes and 4WDs. None of them are in "pristine wilderness"
I've heard people complaining about the Queenstown Mt Owen trails ruining the beautiful mountain, the same mountain which has been stripped bare of vegetation due to over a hundred years of sulfur emissions from mining.
We do need to be careful to not support developments in actual pristine or high risk areas (for want of a better description) as this can harm projects that are in suitable places.

I do get annoyed by people like Christine, who is a bushwalker who seem to think that all the walking tracks and the people that walk them make no impact whatsoever and use images of tire tracks to show how bad bikes are. I can also show some pretty shocking walking tracks in Tassie that are massive erosion nightmares.
Green groups don't really think like that, they look at land rehabilitation of decimated areas as already existing natural habitats are being reduced in size.

It's the same issue in Brisbane, there isn't a piece of bush land that wasn't extensively logged or mined at some point, all the topsoil has been stripped clean over 100 years ago and not much that was there originally will regenerate. I've had a bit of dialogue with Christine and her green group of wack jobs. Most of the pics she put in her presentation are trails of the only sanctioned MTB trail network in the Brisbane district area. The reason the trails look like that is because trailcare ceased for about 5 years due to a technicality that she caused when she stopped a zip line being constructed in the park. A lot of what she claims is anecdotal, every park should be assessed on its own practically whether it is suitable for a trail network, not her total blackban on MTB one size fits all across every park.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I agree. What you have said is very accurate, at least for Tasmania. Your also correct about the impact of bush walking. There is a reason many trails are now being covered with duck board and have signs posted to remind walkers to stay on the paths.
I can remember the "Chocolate Swamp" from about 30 years ago at the north end of Lake Sinclair. We walked straight though it but it was about 10 meters wide from walkers trying not to get their feet wet. Same at the "Sodden Loden" on the way int Frenchman's Cap. These have all been duck boarded for their own good as the walkers were untrainable.
I love the bush and walking and riding are very compatible. There is no need to cast anyone as a villian. Anyone who uses the bush for work or play needs to be mindful of their impact.

Stredda

I agree. What you have said is very accurate, at least for Tasmania. Your also correct about the impact of bush walking. There is a reason many trails are now being covered with duck board and have signs posted to remind walkers to stay on the paths.
I can remember the "Chocolate Swamp" from about 30 years ago at the north end of Lake Sinclair. We walked straight though it but it was about 10 meters wide from walkers trying not to get their feet wet. Same at the "Sodden Loden" on the way int Frenchman's Cap. These have all been duck boarded for their own good as the walkers were untrainable.
I love the bush and walking and riding are very compatible. There is no need to cast anyone as a villian. Anyone who uses the bush for work or play needs to be mindful of their impact.
Yep, totally agree here.
It's a risk we take when an area becomes popular. MTB trails that were old raw hand cut fall lines that we all love, just don't work with thousands of riders going down them. Same goes for walking tracks, the odd walker, no issues, throw a few hundred a day and you have a massive erosion issue.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't see mountain bikers trying to ban other park users, but I do often see it the other way around. If mountain bikers don't defend their ground they'll have nowhere to ride in the future.
I don't know any MBTer's that want to stop walkers. The propaganda piece you posted is typical of some of the stuff we see here in Tasmania.
In fact, the demographic on the left look a lot like the people who make snarky comments to cyclists; even on fire roads.
So I guess there can be villains if there are people or groups that resort to lies and distortions rather than open, honest discussions.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I don't see mountain bikers trying to ban other park users, but I do often see it the other way around. If mountain bikers don't defend their ground they'll have nowhere to ride in the future.

This is one of Christine's groups.

View attachment 383801
Old mate argyle could be stepping on the last blue throated warbling orchid in existence and give zero Fucks... But at least he's getting a poorly framed, overly zoomed image of a common koala

Stredda

This is one of Christine's groups.

View attachment 383801
This is frustrating when you see this sort of thing.
Show an old most likely non sanctioned gap jump :rolleyes:

Two can play at that game

Flow-Rider

Burner
I don't know any MBTer's that want to stop walkers. The propaganda piece you posted is typical of some of the stuff we see here in Tasmania.
In fact, the demographic on the left look a lot like the people who make snarky comments to cyclists; even on fire roads.
So I guess there can be villains if there are people or groups that resort to lies and distortions rather than open, honest discussions.
Their abuse is sometimes far worse than that of bogans, I get told that I should go play on the road and hopefully get run over. :D
This is frustrating when you see this sort of thing.
Show an old most likely non sanctioned gap jump :rolleyes:

Two can play at that game
View attachment 383804
Yeah, they're a bit hypocritical at times, the problem is that they have the power to block new trail networks here. I actually send them photo's of walkers in the scrub quite often.

Old mate argyle could be stepping on the last blue throated warbling orchid in existence and give zero Fucks... But at least he's getting a poorly framed, overly zoomed image of a common koala
They had a pic on their site of suger gliders taken at night with the camera flash in their eyes from about 2m away, a few mountain bikers put crap on them and they've since removed it.

How many mountain bikers do you see wearing diapers? This was a ride through one of the parks they don't want MTB in today.

ozzybmx

The full Mt Owen trail network opens this Friday! :D
Shuttle bunny had today off and has drawn up a loose plan, she has allocated us 4 days at Queenstown/Strahan/Zeehan area over New Year.

1 Georgetown (may be a day trip from Derby)
7 Derby
5 St Helens (Christmas)
3 Maydena (Left of field)
4 Queenstown (New year)
3 Cradle (no riding)
4 Derby

Stredda

Rode Mt Owen yesterday. Perfect day, trails were riding well and even still had some wet patches. The Waterfall trail is an awesome trail, a great addition to the network.

That’s the Waterfall trail in the distance that we descend down from taken from the solid climb back up the hill to return to Queenstown.

ozzybmx

The double shuttles on 2 days will let us ride all the trails, North Owen Decent and Natural Selection today, then Long Spur and Waterfall tomorrow.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Shuttle bunny had today off and has drawn up a loose plan, she has allocated us 4 days at Queenstown/Strahan/Zeehan area over New Year.

1 Georgetown (may be a day trip from Derby)
7 Derby
5 St Helens (Christmas)
3 Maydena (Left of field)
4 Queenstown (New year)
3 Cradle (no riding)
4 Derby
Maybe add hollybank shuttles. Plus I need more people help clear the leaf build up off the trail!