2 narrowwide chainrings on a crank

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Sounds crazy but I want to get rid of my front derailleur because my suspension hits the cable stop and going NW + because my legs are weak ,I like low gears so thinking 32or34 T NW on outside and 26 NW inside of normal double 104/64 cranks and I would do a manual change depending on terrain.
Anyone tried this, I heard of a tourer doing it?
Please - no offers of cement.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't see any issue in doing that

You could also change your rear cassette, what r u running at the moment?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
yep changing to a bigger cassette as well.
Just wondering about chainline etc whether small rings are too offset to do that

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep changing to a bigger cassette as well.
Just wondering about chainline etc whether small rings are too offset to do that
May need to consider derailleur cage length

Sham or shitmano set-up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
I have some cem... oops.

What cassette coming? One of the crazy range sunrace will still give better than 2x on an 11-36

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah 11-40 Sunrace I realise there are bigger pizza trays thats not the issue..
I just wanted to know if anyone had thought of the idea or tried it.
A 104 BCD crank with just a 26T ring on the inside looks pretty fugly so thought I could use an old 32 T non NW or NW as a bash ring and or have extra range for flatter/ downhill riding.
Moorey I am going to have to meet you one day and straighten you out.
Have you been to Harcourt yet = a great place for winter ?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
It will work no problem, just keep your biggest cog to minimal size and you may not have to do the manual swap very often.

I have a compact Sram red crank here for my cx/gravel/bikepacking bike, it will be 42-34 NW manual change rings on the front and already got a 11-44 Sunrace cassette on the back.

Currently 42 single up front and its 100% for hills, gravel and anything else I'm doing currently, but loaded with 12-15kg of gear, bags and water, I'm going to use the manual shift to the 34 as a 'cop out' option for steep climbs, fatigue or whatever has me swearing at the big front ring.
Only expecting very very occasional use so the manual change doesn't worry me... also I'll still make over 30kph in 34:11 with a happy cadence.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Great to hear you have already tried it ozzy.
I went for a ride with 32 + 26 up front non NW + 11-36 and its easy to change chainrings with a flick of the finger.
where I ride there are some sustained steep switchbacks and in the wet 26 front x 40 rear will be handy.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Great to hear you have already tried it ozzy.
I went for a ride with 32 + 26 up front non NW + 11-36 and its easy to change chainrings with a flick of the finger.
where I ride there are some sustained steep switchbacks and in the wet 26 front x 40 rear will be handy.
I haven't changed it yet but its sitting here ready to go, just need to get the 34NW ring ordered and will fit it up.

MTB cranks would have been good but my crank fit is BB386evo so needed to stay with road/CX fit, smallest I can fit is a 34.

FSA now do a adventure super compact for bikepacking with the smallest being a 30t but I have most of the gear here to do the manual change cop out crankset.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Sheesh I hadnt even heard of BB386 evo .
Sounds like a PITN, all our touring/cyclo bikes have 9 speed triples w square taper bbs still, at least the bearings are well protected and last for ever. Also found 10 speed chains are much harder than 9 to push out the pins by the roadside.
Building a frame up at the moment with all common type parts eg rim cantilever cable brakes , J spokes , quick release,deliberately no thru axles so any bike shop anywhere will have parts.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Tried the nonNW chainrings 26 /32 again today sans front derailleur on technical terrain/rock drops and chain didnt fall off once !!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
long cage shimano 10 speed derailleur
If it's anything other than M6000 Deore, the biggest sprocket it will happily handle is 40T (official spec is 36, but there's a little bit of play room). Anything bigger and the upper body - which dictates maximum sprocket clearance - just can't get low enough to swing under. M6000 Deore is officially rated to 42T big sprocket, but it shares its geometry with the 11-sp. models which fit under at least 46T, and probably a bit more.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Hi, yes did it a few years ago for a 1200m climb, think it’s a 24 I put on the front and manual change . I’ve left it on and ended up on it accidentally once or twice when dropping the chain just ended up going onto the inside ring. Can’t even remember last time I used it though (running a 30 normal though)