20% off at new Bike shop Katoomba.

Blue Balls

Likes Dirt
Just thought I would let any Blue Mountain locals know a new bike shop has opened at the top of the main street in Katoomba and are offering 20% off for three weeks. They don't seem to have much stock now but can get all majour brands apparently. Hmm new forks for me.

lotec

Banned
Lets hope tehy have more of a clue than the tool down at the one thats been there for ages near the bottem of the hill... (The one that USED to be cycletech)

Blue Balls

Likes Dirt
Pull ya head out of the conspiracy theory book ZZ, I went in to check it out and the dude there was real helpful and into it so I just thought I'd give it the thumbs up. Yeah Lotec it seems like it might be better than the other joint, even though I don't mind the owner there, he dosn't seem to know much about anything but road and xc.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lotec said:
Lets hope tehy have more of a clue than the tool down at the one thats been there for ages near the bottem of the hill... (The one that USED to be cycletech)
Oi, what's your problem with Velo Nova. Chris knows his stuff, how else could he run a bike shop.
He may not have a huge knowledge of DH bikes, but he's keen as mustard and is a top bloke.
Lay off the slander. I'm sure with this new shop, there will be someone to cater for all cycling needs.

lotec

Banned
Just that he tried to sell me a thornproof 1.5-1.75" tube with a french valve as a "downhill tube" for my 2.7" tyre and insisted I would have no problems even though my rims were drilled for car valves, and then when i got a car valve tube off the shelf he tried to overcharge me for it, after sneakily pulling the pricetag off (sorry buddy I saw that) i wanted to shorten my chain and fair enough wouldnt let me use the chain breaker cause i might hurt myself and sue him (direct quote) so he says leave it with him, fair enough maybe for an hour if he's busy, nope i have to leave it overnight, i ask for a cable tie he has a 2 second look UNDER THE FRONT COUNTER oh sorry we're all out etc etc etc, basically i have had no good experiences and will never set foot in there again but thats just me.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lotec said:
Just that he tried to sell me a thornproof 1.5-1.75" tube with a french valve as a "downhill tube" for my 2.7" tyre and insisted I would have no problems even though my rims were drilled for car valves, and then when i got a car valve tube off the shelf he tried to overcharge me for it, after sneakily pulling the pricetag off (sorry buddy I saw that) i wanted to shorten my chain and fair enough wouldnt let me use the chain breaker cause i might hurt myself and sue him (direct quote) so he says leave it with him, fair enough maybe for an hour if he's busy, nope i have to leave it overnight, i ask for a cable tie he has a 2 second look UNDER THE FRONT COUNTER oh sorry we're all out etc etc etc, basically i have had no good experiences and will never set foot in there again but thats just me.
for starters, the french valve tube would have been fine, well the vavle anyway. the size of the tube would have been more of an issue. But he doesn't stock DH parts, so id say he was trying to offer you the best alternative he had.

As for leaving you're bike there overnight to shorten your chain, he works there by himself and has a lot on his plate, i know for a fact that he is usually quite busy with repairs/services. If you want to be able to get it done on the spot, either go to a shop that has numerous staff, or buy a chainbreaker.
Zipties, it makes perfect sense to me that he keeps them under the counter (which he does cos ive got some before), because he does the repairs at the top of the stairs, not out the back. Why would you keep them in an inconvenient spot.

I'm not going to argue this any further here, as this is not what the thread was intended for, so if you wish to take it any further, do it via PM.
I'm not trying to have a go at you, just trying to stop the slander of a good shop and a mate of mine, so he may not be in on all the latest DH parts and technology, but give him a break, different shops cater to different markets, and his caters for the local market perfectly.

Sorry again for going OT.

lotec

Banned
well fair enough as i said just my opinion, i was sure he had a workshop out the back and i have had enough problems pulling french valves out in french valve rims, i hate to imagine what it would be like in a rim where it could move and sit on a lot more of an angle... but enough crap from me, gonna go check out this new shop in the next few days :)

naz

Criminally Inane
lotec said:
or maybe he realises...oh he has money, he looks stupid, ill rip him off.

quite understandable :p ;)