2007 Giant Reign 1

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thats one sexy bike, perfect all mountain monster you should check out mt buller and ride it there for some dh fun:D
I'm sure all his lightweight components would last for ages going down International.... you twat. Living up to your custom title again eh?

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt

One thing that's been lurking around in my forebrain is rolling resistance. I've always thought that the Reign "feels" slow. My 2.35 Nevegals seem to be a slow rolling tyre (or so I've read), but apparently the 2.1 is fairly fast whilst still offering a lot of grip. I've been hesitant to put thinner tyres on the Reign to this date but after seeing a Yeti 575 at the Yeti stall over last weekend's World Cup, and talking to the sponsored rider (sorry forgot his name?!) who gave the 2.1's a thumbs up for trail riding I thought I'd at least give thinner tyres a go.

I've put the 2.1 Nobby Nic's off my Titanium project over to the Reign and I'll see how they go out on the trails. The bike now weighs in at 12.6kg's. She's a 575 now minus the frame! (LOL). Should roll a lot faster but the sidewalls look and feel very thin. Experience is King, so I'm looking forward to testing them out in any case.

PS: It's hard to tell when rims are still true, or not, since I'm not in the early 90's (ie: I don't have rim brakes!). I've just checked out my rims and both of them are out of true, nothing major, but still, they're out, especially the rear. I've read that Chain Reaction wheelsets often go out of true very easily, but once trues once, tend to hold. So I'll get them trued up tomorrow hopefully.

Blackthorn

Likes Dirt
That Reign would have to be the most changed and cared for reign ever. Every day it seems to have new parts or swapped parts, that and it's always clean.

Most wheelsets will need a re-true after their first few rides as the nipples and spokes bed in and will normally loosen a little bit.

All of your bikes give me inspiration and an empty wallet :)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
CRC wheelsets are not of the greatest quality build anyways. Most of the stuff I have read from users is that they recommend getting them trued properly at a bike shop after taking delivery.

At the end of the day, its an all mountain bike so its going to have slacker angles then that of an XC bike or similar. Thats probably the biggest thing that makes it seem 'slow'. Your bike is probably about the same weight as mine (not that I really put any effort into a weight loss program) but I guarentee if you got on it, you would feel faster even if your Reign was locked out fornt and rear. Tyres have alot to do with it and after running 2.35 Nevagals, I can safely say that there are much faster tyres then that. Rock your Nobby Nics and see what you think. I roll with 2.0" Larsons on my bike and they go like no tomorrow while still providing good traction in the rough stuff.

If your still feeling slow, loose weight fatty! ;)

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt

One thing that's been lurking around in my forebrain is rolling resistance. I've always thought that the Reign "feels" slow. My 2.35 Nevegals seem to be a slow rolling tyre (or so I've read), but apparently the 2.1 is fairly fast whilst still offering a lot of grip. I've been hesitant to put thinner tyres on the Reign to this date but after seeing a Yeti 575 at the Yeti stall over last weekend's World Cup, and talking to the sponsored rider (sorry forgot his name?!) who gave the 2.1's a thumbs up for trail riding I thought I'd at least give thinner tyres a go.

I've put the 2.1 Nobby Nic's off my Titanium project over to the Reign and I'll see how they go out on the trails. The bike now weighs in at 12.6kg's. She's a 575 now minus the frame! (LOL). Should roll a lot faster but the sidewalls look and feel very thin. Experience is King, so I'm looking forward to testing them out in any case.

PS: It's hard to tell when rims are still true, or not, since I'm not in the early 90's (ie: I don't have rim brakes!). I've just checked out my rims and both of them are out of true, nothing major, but still, they're out, especially the rear. I've read that Chain Reaction wheelsets often go out of true very easily, but once trues once, tend to hold. So I'll get them trued up tomorrow hopefully.
You can ride trails on a 2.1 no worries. Fact is that the Nob Nics are a really big tyre for a 2.1 anyhow. Personally i find them very draggy..... which is against most other peoples experiences it seems.

Maybe try a skinny rear with a low resistance (such as a crossmark/ larson) and a chunkier 2.2/ 2.3 up front to stop washout (maybe a nob nic OR what you already have- i hear the crossmark will be in a 2.25 for 09 too- which is an option).

Ultimately though a AM dually will feel sluggish due to the angles etc- and AM tyres are not XC tyres- the key is to get stronger and faster!!!

I see folk on 14kg nomads/ 575's/ giants/ etc etc climbing and riding faster than some 9kg wippet bikes on the Porthills..... what makes them ride faster? Just riding lots and not worrying about it :) Fact is that rider skill and fitness is about 90% of what makes you go faster!

If its really that slow..maybe try a burly AM hardtail with a long travel fork? They fly!

I'm not having ago here JF- just seems like you keep changing your ride every second day.....to make you go faster..... but you ain't going to ever go faster if you don't just go faster ;)

EDIT: had a think.... try Specialized Eskars.... they are 2.3 and FLLLLLLYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
100% agreed on the geometry/nature of the bike. I KNOW my Reign will never feel as fast as a Scott Scale (damn they're fast!) but I'm pretty sure that I'm not going about to make a hardtail my do it all bike and I really don't want to bother with a 4inch dually (say, a Trance). I mostly agree on the "harden the fuck up" concept (muahaha my mate Matt reminds me to HTFU a lot (lol) :) I'm trying, believe me!

ruskoo

Likes Dirt
I'm not having ago here JF- just seems like you keep changing your ride every second day.....to make you go faster..... but you ain't going to ever go faster if you don't just go faster ;)
I guess you dont see what goes on behind the forum thread, he's getting alot faster every week (he's gone from being at the back of the group to leading the group sometimes) and he just wants that little extra gain from getting his bike dialled in.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
I guess you dont see what goes on behind the forum thread, he's getting alot faster every week (he's gone from being at the back of the group to leading the group sometimes) and he just wants that little extra gain from getting his bike dialled in.
Yeah funny that ;) How am i supposed to know what goes on offline? hehe.

@JF. Yes a AM hardtail like a COVE handjob maybe? muuuhhhaa! - CRC have them on sale btw in our size 15.5" !!

But yeah- Eskars are brill.

Pitto

Likes Dirt
12.6 with a Joplin and a 20mm thru axel is very very respectable. i think you've done extremely well to get her down to that weight.

as others have said, ride more, ride fitness is the key. i have not been riding as much as i used to and feel it everytime i go out now, it sucks. by the end of the ride im pretty good, but at the start, crap [mind you the 3kms of uphill fire road at the start doesnt help :rolleyes:]

be happy and just ride, you've got a great bike there.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh don't get me wrong. SUPER happy with the Reign, always have been from day one. I love this bike!!! :D

It's not a 20mm front though BTW. I can't get it any lighter, shame it's not a 2008 frame (apparently 700g lighter?!).

-----------------

OK my aluminium bars (which are replacing my barely used carbon bars) have finally come in the mail. These Easton EA70 25.4mm Low Rise 685mm bars are advertised as 250g, WRONG! Ripped off once again. They are 276g on my scales.

Difference between the CF bars + the new Eastons.

Pretty bad this side.

Other side.

New bars are on. Wheels are being trued by Ash at Maroubra Cycles.

Looking forward to the wider bars as I've found myself holding onto the very edge of the bars a lot since getting the shorter CF bars (they were not as wide as the original Raceface Evolve XC bars on the bike).

'Ross

Eats Squid
Low Rise 685mm bars are advertised as 250g, WRONG! Ripped off once again. They are 276g on my scales.
You always say stuff like this, are you sure you don't just have innacurate scales? I know manufacturers claimed weights aren't always precise, but most household scales people have are fairly innacurate and I don't think they should be used as an exact measurement, moreso a rough guide.

jdc5r

Likes Dirt
You always say stuff like this, are you sure you don't just have innacurate scales? I know manufacturers claimed weights aren't always precise, but most household scales people have are fairly innacurate and I don't think they should be used as an exact measurement, moreso a rough guide.
nah its right, parts do have a lot of difference. Its called manufacturing tolerences. Everyone does it. Apart from weight weenie companies like kcnc and tune because they know they will die by flying titanium bolts if they advertise wrongly.

Lorday

Eats Squid
If your still feeling slow, loose weight fatty! ;)
hahaaha, haven't you read his other thread, he's borderline anirexic ;)

Haha manufactors are bullshit, a VW transporter (short wheel base) are 250kg overwieght.

Anyway, I don't like this new direction of your XC ways, back to a bashy and charge down hills more.

nick_dales

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just a quick question, what do you do with all you old parts, looking at this thread you must have heaps, sell them or are they just sitting around

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Those Next bars look well dodgy now. Good idea to change them.
I once read the worst place you can put CF bike parts in on the outer extremities where leverage in accidents makes them ripe for damage... bars and posts! They build them better these days, but there's no substitute for metal in those areas, IMHO.
The Easton bars are great.
I just sold an unused pair. Bit more width and backsweep. Will suit the Reign nicely (I had them on my Reign, too!).
BTW, (and I know you won't) don't listen to anyone telling you that:
a) you change too much stuff, or
b) you're going too XC.
Do whatever the fuck makes you happy and has you in the right position on the bike.
I do. :p

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Axela8: Whoo hoo 3 cheers for that (or Amen to that if you're religious!).

Lorday: Ango was joking, he knows my weight/frame and chimed in to help in my losing weight thread :) I have to say, this bike could have gone either way in regards to XC vs. Freeride.

Initially I was waiting for the new Saint to be released but that damn Yeti 575 desktop wallpaper on my laptop must have finally gotten thebetter of me?! I'm pretty sure the XTR gear will hold up on the stuff I like to do and I'll always forever love DH more than going up.

Regarding spare parts: Much of the Reigns original drivetrain went onto Christina's Giant Talon, her stuff then was sold to mates at half RRP prices (what are mates for huh?!) and some of it went up on eBay too. I still do have a few spares lying around and at times I get pissed off I sold stuff so cheap (Christina's Sun Rhyno Lites would have been a good keeper for a DJ bike project, my old Reign's bars would have gone back on instead of me forking out for these new Easton bars etc).

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
hahaaha, haven't you read his other thread, he's borderline anirexic ;)

Haha manufactors are bullshit, a VW transporter (short wheel base) are 250kg overwieght.

Anyway, I don't like this new direction of your XC ways, back to a bashy and charge down hills more.
Cough *AnOrexic*

Yeah i'm confused too :confused: Is a reign AM/ freeride? and the trance XC? Because if you want a lighter ride why go reign?

I have seen alot of people buy a hardcore AM bike and then fall for a lighter one and ride the same stuff----- nothing wrong with that!

Freaking great weight though considering!

How did you damage those bars so badly btw?

oh.......I TOO AM SAVING FOR A 575 MuauauaHAHAHAHAH!

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I want to keep it "all mountain" that's for sure as XC style trails, especially endurance related ones (NRMA Careflight zzzzz) bore me to tears.

I'm kinda gambling on the fact that I'm a lighter rider and that XTR componentry is plenty tough for me and the kind of aggressive/XC stuff I do. Maybe I've gambled wrong and perhaps the 2009 Saint/20mm direction would have been better but the way I see it, all of it should hold up except the rims and spokes (the Hope hubs should be fine). If they fail I'll be ripping them apart, keeping the Hope hubs but building a more all mountain wheelset around them (I still dream of the Industry 9 all mountain wheelset).

The bike came with an XC wheelset stock, also a full RaceFace Evolve XC catalog of parts. I assume in 2007 the term/category "all mountain" wasn't as agressive as it is this year and that explains why the Reign came with a lot of XC gear on it?

I'll get my 575, it's a given. I just want to feel worthy first :)

PS: the bars were damaged from going over the bars 2 times, both times were at low speed too so overall I'm very dissapointed at how easily damaged they are. Fair call if you're a sponsored rider but there's no way in hell I'd be putting up that kind of cash for every time I drop the bike.

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking absolutely sweet! Don't listen to Lorday, He keeps trying to get me to paint my specialized.

What saint gear were you originally looking at getting? I can give you a report on the rear SS mech after next week when my bike's ridable. Although I can't really compare it to the XTR as I only have XT on my XC bike.