2007 Giant Reign 1

stickso

Likes Dirt
Justin, thanks to this thread I was inspired to buy myself a new Reign 0 a few weeks back. After playing around with various stem lengths I've settled on a 60mm 0 degree stem and it feels great. I do the Dam most weekends and I feel more confident on the steep rocky bits and getting up that big-arse hill is fine (heart rate is another story though!)

TransitionPete

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Couldn't help myself. De-stickered everything including the Fox forks (it's strange having stickers of your surname on your bike!)

No Way dude. Its the best! My surname is Larsen. I run Maxxis Larsen TT Tires on my Transition. I tell all my friends im sponsored by Maxxis and they make me custom tires. :D

I am really liking the look of how this is coming along. Future upgrades planned?

Pete..

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One thing to think of though JF is the tyres- maybe something a little more "aggressive" is in order? Larsons are OK- but not teh best on loose over hardpack. I highly recommend a Specialized Eskar up front at least.... fantastic tyres.
I'm 100% on this. The front washed out (understeered) a fair few times, on the single track early on and on the big downhill too. I was purposely trying to get it to wash out all day just to get used to the feeling. I am looking into a front tyre that bites but is light too. Maybe a 2.35 High Roller but I'm open. I'm also going to whack on some ultralight Maxxis tubes (Jing's had one on his Reign for Loftus as well as the Dam and it's been fine, maybe it helps that we're 60kg's light!) and I'm also going to flip the rear Larsen around the wrong way for more traction (I hope).

Justin, thanks to this thread I was inspired to buy myself a new Reign 0 a few weeks back. After playing around with various stem lengths I've settled on a 60mm 0 degree stem and it feels great.
Thanks for that feedback. That's so awesome. I'm going to try that too. I feel it's going to be a good move. Can't hurt to try!

No Way dude. Its the best! My surname is Larsen. I am really liking the look of how this is coming along. Future upgrades planned?
LOL Pete. Well I could always wear Fox clothes/gear lol. Future upgrades, well I'm already doing the research and the math. One part of me wants to get some Thomson gear on it, saves weight, as strong if not stronger, weenie in me says I am light enough to go for Syntace/KCNC gear but it doesn't feel right to put weaker parts on there. All in all I'd like to get it down into the 12kg's and stop there.

H

>Henry

Mmmm Reigny goodness, I wonder how long it's going to take you to get new forks :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Viv92

Eats Squid
Don't say that man?! What's wrong with them? They feel good to me?! Argh!
Yeah they are great. IMO Pikes would be better but floats aren't exactly bad.

Don't go an Ignitor on the front... I had one. I changed to a High Roller 2.35. Much better. Just don't get the XC version. Get single ply DH.

Pitto

Likes Dirt
i would go the maxxis advantage's or kenda nevegals.

i have geax sturdy's 2'25 on mine and they have been going for 2 years with no problems or pinchflats. they roll ok on the road too, handy for pavement cruising.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some updates for the Reign:

Thomson Elite 0 degree 25.4 x 70mm (172g). Heavier than the stock stem but it's shorter at 70mm and also has zero rise.

Thomson Elite 30.9 x 287mm (214g). Just right, it's short and on the MAX line indicator is where I will have it for XC stuff. Still kinda wish I had a remote handle bar adjustable seatpost height thingy though.

Race Face Next SL 25.4mm Carbon Low Riser (158g). Got to admit putting these on without a torque wrench was scary. I hope I haven't got them on too loose!

WTB Rocket V SLT Race saddle Ti rails (223g). I don't mind the SDG but I've heard so many people harp on about these seats I thought I'd give it a go. I hope it's as comfy as 'they' say it is.

Kenda Nevegal 26 X 2.35 John Tomac DTC 120 (671g/660g). Yes the Kenda's won! They sure look more aggressive than my old Larsen TT's. So keen to try them at the Dam.

Maxxis flyweight x 2 (98g/tube). My faves :p

Current weight: 13.38kg (OEM: 14kg)

H

>Henry

Don't say that man?! What's wrong with them? They feel good to me?! Argh!
Hehe sorry, i wasnt saying that the forks were bad I was just referring to your love of changing everything on your bikes and i suspected that you may have been thinking of changing the forks because of the practically endless possibilities for added strength, wieght losses etc.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is it just me or is justins seat not straight???:O
Ah fuck no wonder my nuts are sore. No, but seriously. I rode the bike tonight with a lower seat and angled back (more like a freeride/dh set-up). I tested it at a decent speed over some rock work at the cliff on Maroubra Beach, felt amazing, on the ride seated home though my nuts began to ache half way home.

LOL.

Shit. When will I ever get the set-up right? Why can't it be as easy as the single speed?!

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
baha, ive done it before too..on a considerably less comfortable seat to begin with. not fun. besides, fiddling and getting it wrong is all part of the experience, even if your nuts hurt afterwards.

Sov

Likes Dirt
Good stuff. I love the WTB Rocket saddles. Not the lightest or softest but super comfy.

I reckon you should run one of the Larsens as a rear tyre with a Nevagal as the front. Makes for a nice combo. Maybe Nevegals front and rear if the trails are very sloppy.

ps who brakes with two fingers these days???:) Move your levers inboard and go the single digit...