2007 Giant Reign 1

ovadahill

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Here's a video of me rolling down it. I'd love to throw caution at the wind and huck down it, but maybe not yet.
Just watched that a few times.... I get the impression that your fork either might not have enough rebound damping or just a touch too much preload for the current rebound setup. You can see the kickback on the last two drop offs.

ilostmypassword

Likes Dirt
Just watched that a few times.... I get the impression that your fork either might not have enough rebound damping or just a touch too much preload for the current rebound setup. You can see the kickback on the last two drop offs.
That's because his body weight is on the rear... no fork will work well if its 90% unweighted.

But as JF said- he is aware of this. </paulzippit>

Last edited:

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just thought I'd post an update. It's been a while.

I set up my brakes inbound, geez so good, why didn't I do this earlier?!

I cut my steerer too short. I've been feeling a slight tweek in my shoulders at the end of a ride so I replaced my low risers with high risers and also removed my Thomson 70mm zero rise stem and replaced it with a Funn 50mm stem (with a bit of rise). I was worried the result was going to hurt climbing but it's damn perfect now!!!

Worn Ti cassette, the lightweight Yaban chain snapped on me so I replaced it with an XTR chain.

New XT cassette.

Latest pic.

New shifter cabling to replace the gold Alligator cabling made a world of difference to my shifting. It's so buttery smooth now with the new cables, cassette and chain.

The Joplin seatpost has a bit more play in it than new but it's working so well I can't complain (it's my fave modification on the bike).

I'm now running a Kenda Small Block 8 on the back (so fast it's ridiculous, sketchy when you have to haul up in a hurry but that just adds to the fun!) and I'm running a High Roller on the front which so far (only been for one ride on the High Roller) is awesome and feels a lot faster rolling than the Nevegal I had on there before (not to mention no washing out but the ground was slightly damn so more testing is needed).

One thing I've learnt is to avoid weenie parts from now on. All the shifting woes I've had were due to a very worn Ti cassette (it was damn light but damn expensive too). The cassette didn't last me more than a few months before the shifting problems kicked in (I always thought it was due to a bad chainline, or ghost shifting due to bad cable routing).

I've finally gotten the bike completely dialed in to how I like it. She's getting old now, the only thing I'm a little paranoid about is the bearings/linkages. How the hell am I meant to know if it's time to service them? I can't hear anything from them, or feel anything (feels fine to me?) but I have been riding this since March last year and I've never done anything with them.

All in all, completely in love with the bike, more than ever before. I'm attached to it, it's awesome on all the trails I do (Loftus, Manly Dam, Appin and Menai). I do think about a new frame every now and then but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it just yet. I'm sure I'll know when the time is right.

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GOD DAMN 10 YEARS FLIES FAST!!!!!!!!

It's been a while Farkin!

I've been at wars with depression for a few years, and I'm finally out of the hole. I was bonging from 4.20AM-Midnight 7 days a week for a while there, and I'm finally sober (have been since early January). I still smoke tobacco but I'm super keen to cut that out (I never smoked when I rode so I figure I've GOT to get back on the bike!).

My Reign was in bits for a lot of years but I've put it back together and I intend to get rolling again, mainly just to get fit, so Loftus rides are on the cards to begin with.

I've been invited back on to a MTB WhatsApp group and the boys have been pushing me to look into getting a new bike. I'm seeing lots of nice internal cable routing, 27.5 wheels are new to me, and it looks like lots of bikes come with a dropper post (one of my fave mods on my old Reign). I'm floored at the prices of top end MTB's these days. $6k is money I just don't have, so I have no choice but to stick with the Reign for now.

Judging on previous posts in this thread, it looks like my tyres are 10 years old. They still feel soft, no signs of cracking, so I'm wondering if I really have to replace them at all? Any advice would be appreciated. My dropper post still works, brakes are fine, suspension feels OK. I'm not sure if anything else but the tyres needs attention.

I'm just being silly (can't help myself) but I wonder whether a 27.5 wheel would work up front, and whether or not it would make any difference. I assume it wouldn't change geo too much? One downside would be having to carry 2 tubes though. I think I best just burry this idea and just ride.

Here's a fresh photo of the bike, not that it looks much different to before... it's now got an XT crankset and XT brakes too, main thing is its not in bits!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Also you don’t need to throw 6k at a new bike, 3.5 will get you something pretty bloody good nowadays.

But ride that thing untill it breaks! Looks to be in pretty good nic

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers for the warm welcome back guys... this place has changed!!!

I truly am super broke. I've just bought a Honda Jazz to carry the bikes, I'm 44 this year and it's a bit embarrassing, but Mum had to buy me the car as I'm in the red. I've just bought some new gloves, a new hydration pack (my WhatsApp chat mates just told me they're out of fashion now...), tubes and shoes. I need some shorts as I'm fatter now and also a new jersey would be nice. Tyres; I'm tempted to just ride on these as there are no cracks and the rubber still feels soft to the touch (has been stored indoors away from sun) but I might bite the bullet and buy some new tyres then just ride and see how I go.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Don't sweat the small stuff, just ride! Every k you do is a k closer to where you want to be.

If it breaks, then you'll know it needs replacing. I'll back @hifiandmtb 26 tubes will stretch just fine.

clockworked

Like an orange
Cheers for the warm welcome back guys... this place has changed!!!

I truly am super broke. I've just bought a Honda Jazz to carry the bikes,
Welcome back jussy!
Nice to see you're back into riding. You used to post some interesting stuff back when.

Was it you, or @JTmofo that had that sweet jazz back in the day?

Justin Fox

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yup guys that was my old Jazz with K20 swap and I sold it on to Dave. Going to keep my current Jazz 100% stock though haha!!!

Replaced my old grips with a new set from Bikebug Tempe.

Got some new gloves with my name on them (lol).

My shoes are falling apart from the inside out (bottom right shows liner losing it's shit).

Cheap no brand top cap legit snapped when I was putting my bike back together so I put the old trusty Niner beer bottle cap back on!

It's not often I walk away from a fight, but I've been on a WhatsApp Mountain Bike group for the past week which started out good, but after a while it felt like being back on the forums again where some people would put you down for the choices you make for yourself.

IE: Cloak and dagger shit.

There's been all sorts of pressure to get a new $6,000+ bike (there's nothing wrong with my old bike!), nbt nbt nbt... I'm like WTF is nbt? NEW BIKE TIME. I bought a new hydration pack, but got bagged out for that as all the new kids are using hydration bum bags these days. It was suggested that I get new tyres as mine are 10yrs old, fair call. I did just that, but now there's lots of poo poo over my tyre selection.

End of the day I just want to get out and ride. Full stop.

PS: Love this video, reminds me of old times when we stopped to try something gnarly out on the trails, no egos, no pressure (just gentle encouragement!).

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Yup guys that was my old Jazz with K20 swap and I sold it on to Dave. Going to keep my current Jazz 100% stock though haha!!!

View attachment 352273

View attachment 352275

View attachment 352277
My shoes are falling apart from the inside out (bottom right shows liner losing it's shit).

View attachment 352278
Cheap no brand top cap legit snapped when I was putting my bike back together so I put the old trusty Niner beer bottle cap back on!

It's not often I walk away from a fight, but I've been on a WhatsApp Mountain Bike group for the past week which started out good, but after a while it felt like being back on the forums again where some people would put you down for the choices you make for yourself.

There's been all sorts of pressure to get a new $6,000+ bike (there's nothing wrong with my old bike!), nbt nbt nbt... I'm like WTF is nbt? NEW BIKE TIME. I bought a new hydration pack, but got bagged out for that as all the new kids are using hydration bum bags these days. It was suggested that I get new tyres as mine are 10yrs old, fair call. I did just that, but now there's lots of poo poo over my tyre selection.

PS: Love this video, reminds me of old times when we stopped to try something gnarly out on the trails, no egos, no pressure (just gentle encouragement!).

Sounds like the whatsapp group is full of f-wits.

I told the story last week of a guy schooling a bunch of enduro style e-mtbs riding a shitty old Giant Talon with balding tyres. They're worried about what they and others ride, he's just focussed on riding and having fun. I know who I'd rather be.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

View attachment 352273

View attachment 352275

View attachment 352277

View attachment 352278

Fuck those clowns. Don't spend 6k, you'll spend too much time worrying about being able to afford to replace it to actually do it justice.

I'm off to find a bottle cap