2007 Nicolai M-Pire ST resto-mod

fastrider gus

super huck
I picked this frame up a while ago as I was converting my M9 to 27.5 and figured the Nicolai would be a cool home for the old 26" parts, a good shed-art bike and also good for mates to jump on for shuttle days.
Ive since sold the Intense, tried an M16 and sold that too, now the Nicolai is the main DH rig.
27.5 wheels fit nicely with the adjustable wheelbase stretched right out.
Ive changed to a 216mm shock down from 222mm which has given a little more range to the BB/HA adjustment (still plenty of travel, i never even ran it in the full 8.5" setting) so i can have it one hole up from fully slammed and its roughly 64deg.

I just got a rear end rebuild kit sent over from Nicolai before the Covid dramas kicked in, it had a bit of play in the main pivot and this thing is funky as far as pivot bearings go! Rollers in the swingarm, thrust in the frame and shimmed with one tiny pinch bolt through the center for minimal preload.
The white paint was a bit rough so ive gone for the easy route, buffed raw to show off those bullshit nice Nico welds.
Custom decals are on the way, along with a full red bolt kit, next is some hope cranks to take a bit of weight out of it. Diabolus are cool but dang heavy, especially in a 100mm BB width.

Few pics of the progress until now.

I cant wait to rip this thing with the fresh suspension. Ive only ridden it a handfull of times since i got it but im confident its the best DH bike ive ever had, definitely doesnt ride like a 13 year old, outdated clunker!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

fastrider gus

super huck
I bet you get sick & tired of seeing all the other ones out & about. Common as muck!
I got it from a bloke in Canada, i have seen a fair few of the odd Nicolai models here in Aus over the years, but never one of these. Curious to see if there are any others here!

fastrider gus

super huck
The next headache is converting this from a 10x165 to a 12x165. Not sure if you could take the existing axle out to 12mm or just turn up a whole new one.
The Ringle hub on the bike at the moment is nice, but i want to run the DT so i can use a 54t upgrade. Its going to be the best/loudest option for the stupid 165mm width..

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The next headache is converting this from a 10x165 to a 12x165. Not sure if you could take the existing axle out to 12mm or just turn up a whole new one.
The Ringle hub on the bike at the moment is nice, but i want to run the DT so i can use a 54t upgrade. Its going to be the best/loudest option for the stupid 165mm width..

Are there any fatbike options or something wacky from White Bros.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

fastrider gus

super huck
Are there any fatbike options or something wacky from White Bros.

Not that i can find. I originally had an MSC hub but it was way too quiet and had a slow engagement.
I grabbed this nos 12x165 ringle fairly cheap, they used to sound killer back in the day! Its definitely loud, but the modern high engagement hubs have changed the game. I think the best im going to get is the DT with a 54t upgrade. I ran 54t in another wheelset on my enduro bike and it had a nice sound to it with minimal grease.
Other than those 3 hubs, im not sure what else is available in a 165 width, good quality at least.

fastrider gus

super huck
Hope fatsno in 170mm. You might be able to get the 10mm endcaps to work somehow.

https://www.hopetech.com/products/hubs/fatbike/pro-4-fatsno-rear-hub/

Interesting! A silver Fatsno would match the front pro4 perfect.. and matchy is always good! Also once i get cranks and pedals this thing is covered in hope haha! I might send them an email and see what they rekon is doable, could be an expensive experiment if i just buy one and get the grinder out...
Cheers for the heads-up!

fastrider gus

super huck
Hope australia have no idea what im talking about.. they dont think a 165 hub exists.
Just put me through to the machine shop buddy...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If only there was standards...I'm surprised the Nicolai folks didn't make a hub for this frame themselves?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Hope australia have no idea what im talking about.. they dont think a 165 hub exists.
Just put me through to the machine shop buddy...

Get on touch with the UK. They might be able to mod a set of 10mm endcaps to make it work.

fastrider gus

super huck
May be a little chunky.. i was trying to cut weight out of this thing... form over function?