2008 Specialized Epic

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought this bike brand new back in 2008 when I was still living in Perth and it's still with me 10 years later, now in Victoria.

It was originally had triple chain rings and skinny bars but it's been the recipient of many bits and bobs that have come off other bikes over the years. Now running an XT 1x10 transmission, a fancy Chromag bar and stem combo and a dodgy Rockshox Reverb internal dropper setup with me drilling into the seat tube to make it work. Add in some red highlight Panracer tyres and it completes the love it/hate it mismatch setup.

The rear brain still works, with a bit of oil leaking and the original front fork has a bit of a top out clunk, but it all still works.

It's primarily used as a bike to pull the kids trailer around now, even though our youngest is nearly grown out of it. So it might be time to repurpose it again!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Has Link worked his magic on that brain shock to keep it limping along?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has Link worked his magic on that brain shock to keep it limping along?

He hasn't, but he's welcome to have a go because every other place has just laughed me out the door . There's a reason why I don't buy any bikes with propriety bits on them anymore.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
He hasn't, but he's welcome to have a go because every other place has just laughed me out the door . There's a reason why I don't buy any bikes with propriety bits on them anymore.
Specialized can eat a big bag of dicks.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I owe someone else a 2008 rebuild first, then I can help. As long as nothing is damaged and it’s just O-Ring that have failed, it’s not a drama. Keep that air can lubed, apart from a 10” long piece of solid rod, there are no alternatives for that shock. None. Not one.

Specialized. Abandoning customers since 1983.

It’s their actual business MO.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I might take you up on that offer when the day comes. The compression and rebound circuits still do their jobs so it's not a completely lost cause.

Wife is looking at an XC bike to race next year and I have to keep reminding her, no Specialized. So in a few months time when I make a new build thread that contains a newer Epic, just know I lost that battle

redbruce

Eats Squid
I might take you up on that offer when the day comes. The compression and rebound circuits still do their jobs so it's not a completely lost cause.

Wife is looking at an XC bike to race next year and I have to keep reminding her, no Specialized. So in a few months time when I make a new build thread that contains a newer Epic, just know I lost that battle
Epics are a stellar XC (and race) bike. However there are alternative (in my experience better) aftermarket shocks for 2011 Epics onward.

Last edited: