2008 Tance X1 vs modern enduro bikes climbing?

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
After about 7 years not touching a bike I had a ride over Easter up at Mansfield and am hooked again, I can’t work out how I’ve gone this long without riding. I’ve still got my 2008 Tance X1 but as would be expected after that long without any love it’s got a few issues, mainly the piston seals in the brakes seem to be stuffed. I’ll probably fix that up a little, but it’s got me looking at new bikes. I really prefer going down than up which has led me to look at enduro bikes. How would a modern 150-160mm enduro bike compare to my Trance X1 in climbing terms? I’m making the assumption that it would kill it descending but I do need to be able to get to the top to enjoy the downs.
Cheers

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don’t have a 150/160mm bike but I did have a 2011 Trance x1 26er which has very similar frame geometry. Imo it did not climb well even back then. Front end lifted on anything slightly steep and I had to move my arse off the front of the seat to keep it down way too often..
I reckon any recent model from 2015/16 onwards will climb better than it.. You would be surprised how capable the new shorter travel bikes now the wheels are bigger and the geo no longer resembles a road bike. A 130mm travel bike now will do most stuff very well without having the weight and extra travel to drag around since you are earning your turn climbing.

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
I don’t have a 150/160mm bike but I did have a 2011 Trance x1 26er which has very similar frame geometry. Imo it did not climb well even back then. Front end lifted on anything slightly steep and I had to move my arse off the front of the seat to keep it down way too often..
I reckon any recent model from 2015/16 onwards will climb better than it.. You would be surprised how capable the new shorter travel bikes now the wheels are bigger and the geo no longer resembles a road bike. A 130mm travel bike now will do most stuff very well without having the weight and extra travel to drag around since you are earning your turn climbing.
Thanks, the trance seemed good to me (coming from a 22kg dh bike) so if a modern enduro is better happy days

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
I went from a 2008 Trance X2 to a 2017 Trek Fuel EX 9.8.

My X2 didn’t have any sort of lockout or on-the-fly adjustment at either end, and I couldn’t believe how much of a pogo stick it was when I hopped back on it after three days demoing the Fuel EX and a Remedy. Riding up and down is so much better.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Any modern geo trail or "enduro" (whatever that means now) bike will be day and night difference compared to a 10 year old anything.
I had a 2012 Trance 26'er and there is no comparison between my current 2019 bike and that. I recently had a pedal of an older 26" trance and thought I was going to die.

Climbing is the least of your worries if you like the descents. A modern geo trail/enduro rig will blow your trance away on the descents, and that alone should be worth an upgrade.
Don't waste money on putting lipstick on a pig( putting heaps $ into your Trance).

That said, one piece of advice I will give you is don't get yourself over biked. So many people starting out or getting back into riding think they need the full fat, long, slack, low 160mm race rig, but truth is that unless you ride them on the absolute limit (which is doubtful for anyone starting or returning to riding), they can be hard work on anything but the 10% or gnar they are designed for.

My advice (unless you're super technical and fit), look for a capable all mountain/trail bike (130-150mm), either 27.5 or 29er with a 65/66 HA, decent long reach and 75 Deg+ SA.

Depending on budget and local terrain, I'd be looking at something along the lines of the Canyon Spectral, Giant Trance, Devinci Django or Troy, SC Bronson, etc and not along the lines of a Canyon Torque, SC Nomad, Yeti SB150, Giant Reign, Trek Slash etc.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Don’t forget the PYR of the new rig. You won’t know yourself on a new bike.

Book in for some demo’s?

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the replies. Looks like it's time for a new bike (now just got to convince the wife).
Do most shops do demos? I've had a look at the polygon bikes, which on paper look like a good deal, $3.2k for the Siskiu N9

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. Looks like it's time for a new bike (now just got to convince the wife).
Do most shops do demos? I've had a look at the polygon bikes, which on paper look like a good deal, $3.2k for the Siskiu N9
Some shops do, some don't. Bicyclesonline (polygon) offer a 14 money back guarantee as far as I remember.

I can also vouch for Canyon. I had a 2017 Spectral and it was an exceptional bike for the money. If a carbon model is out of the budget, look at the alloy versions. Unreal value and you will not be disappointed with the quality and characteristics.

moorey

call me Mia
I recently had a pedal of an older 26" trance and thought I was going to die.
That’s any pedaling, based on my time with you at The Mont.

That said, a modern bike with better suspension will see you straight. I don’t find the 27.5 a game changer like others, but that’s what you’re pretty much stuck with unless you go 29...