2008 trance x1 rear shock upgrade

Tigger75

Likes Bikes
Hi everyone, I have a 2008 giant trance x 1 that I have had since new and totally love for my type of riding but my rear shock fox rp2 died last week and I am looking at an upgrade to either rp23 or the new CTD or maybe even Fox 2012 DHX Air 5.0 Shock for those days I want to get a little more serious. My current shock size is a 7.25 x 1.75 and I don't seem o be able to find the right size anywhere. Does anyone know if the 7.5 x 2.0 would first of all fit and secondly how much would it effect the ride charteristics? Keen to hear if any one has had any similar experinces upgrading rear shock on trance x

PhillipJ

Likes Bikes
Rockshox do a Monarch RT3 in the right size (184mmx44mm). TBSM.com.au had them for a while but don't list that size any more.
If you search the MTBR.com forums you'll find lots of people who have fitted a 7.5" shock (190mm) with about 50/50 for and against it. All those "for" were running a longer fork too.

moorey

call me Mia
Toranajudd had a kashima dhx air in 190mm. Offset bushes will bring it back to right length. Unsure if it will fit due to piggy back, but a brilliant shock. I run the dhx air 5.0 on both my AM and trail bike.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Looks like the 08 would fit it. I had an earlier trance that wouldn't have. Talk to Judd, he's a good operator, and his price is very reasonable I reckon. If it was 200mm, I'd have bought it.

Tigger75

Likes Bikes
I had a look and im pretty sure the dhx piggy back will fit no worries and thinking of going that way instead of the rp23. just have to look into the bushings as I have read that I can only fit an offset on the top and not the bottom.