2009 Peugeot Partner 1.6 Diesel Van

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Hi Kids
My wife and I are looking at one for a mtb rig/ second vehicle. Does anyone know much about Peugeot vans and is there anything I show know about? It's done 143K and I know the timing belt was done. It's a dealer vehicle and I know little else about it.. Any help would be welcome!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Eleventy million of them made and leading hard lives in Europe. Pretty robust, check for dpf filter problems and all the usual maintenance checks for a car with that many kms on it.

Cross shop with Kangoo and Caddy.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Any Peugeot savvy mechanics out Stanthorpe way if something does go wrong?

How much is it?

Avoid a plain white van if you have a moustache, the neighbourhood watch ladies will be relentlessly reporting you to the cops.

DMan

Any Peugeot savvy mechanics out Stanthorpe way if something does go wrong?

How much is it?

Avoid a plain white van if you have a moustache, the neighbourhood watch ladies will be relentlessly reporting you to the cops.
No, unfortunately there aren't. My local is a Repco jack of all trades. $7500
Funny you say that as it is white. And I'll be hanging out in it outside the primary school when I have to pick my daughter up.....

Haakon

Keeps on digging
There is nothing radical about them, all very boring. Engine is shared with a bunch of Peugeot passenger cars as well ie the 307. Plenty around, should pose no challenges to any half decent mechanic who is willing to learn.

Plenty of cheap places for parts, I recommend Parts of France in Ringwood - Ken sells all the service parts you’ll need by mail order way cheaper and better quality than anything the likes of a repco would find. French car parts are usually very cheap.

moorey

call me Mia
We had a 2008 417tdi for about 4 years. Wife insisted on dealer servicing and repairs. Damn thing nearly sent us broke.
Last straw was being quoted $800 for brake pads and $250 for wipers. Cuss that shit.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
We had a 2008 417tdi for about 4 years. Wife insisted on dealer servicing and repairs. Damn thing nearly sent us broke.
Last straw was being quoted $800 for brake pads and $250 for wipers. Cuss that shit.
The key words there are “dealer servicing”... Why on earth would you do that?? Madness.

Last edited:

DMan

There is nothing radical about them, all very boring. Engine is shared with a bunch of Peugeot passenger cars as well ie the 307. Plenty around, should pose no challenges to any half decent mechanic who is willing to learn.

Plenty of cheap places for parts, I recommend Parts of France in Ringwood - Ken sells all the service parts you’ll need by mail order way cheaper and better quality than anything the likes of a repco would find. French car parts are usually very cheap.
Thanks Haakon

Yeah well, you did do dealer servicing. I'm not that fussy

moorey

call me Mia
Wife’s car. Wife’s insistence.
Regardless, all parts were 3x5 times the price of even parts for my Landy at the time.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Wife’s car. Wife’s insistence.
Regardless, all parts were 3x5 times the price of even parts for my Landy at the time.
I guess it surprised me is all - you’re the master of online parts bargains for bikes, but got bent over by the dealer for the car?

Changing the brakes on a 407 is no harder than on a mountain bike - just the parts are bigger and heavier.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
ill raise you..got quoted $4000 for some rubber rings which stabilized some under body parts on a Renault...I said WTF - reply with a. straight face, we don't sell the rubber rings separately, you have to replace the whole tail shaft assembly in order to fit them...tossers, I ordered some from UK for under 100.

my advice -find a good aftermarket parts supplier, order everything yourself by express, give to local mechanic - I use auto parts in box hill, always give them the vin no when ordering, so its their mistake, our last Peugeot 206 had 3 diff oil filters, & 2 diff air filters.

our Peugeot's have always ran well, had 2 & 2 Renaults...they do suspension well, you'll get a nice ride

moorey

call me Mia
I guess it surprised me is all - you’re the master of online parts bargains for bikes, but got bent over by the dealer for the car?

Changing the brakes on a 407 is no harder than on a mountain bike - just the parts are bigger and heavier.
  1. I don’t do much on cars.
  2. Wife insisted.....until I had to overrule on the brakes and wipers.
  3. I said ‘quoted’
  4. No, I said 417. Callipers can’t simply be pressed back. They screw as they retract. I did try, (I insisted after wife showed me quote, and I’d sourced $90 pads from the UK) specific tool required. Paid my local mechanic to fit.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
417? So such thing. You must mean 407? Peugeot models all have the 0 in the middle at least.

Can be done without the right tool but it’s fiddly... Virtually every euro car and most Japanese ones have the wind back on rear callipers - it’s the handbrake mechanism. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/123321786317

Doubt the mechanic charged more than a half hour labour for it though, he would have done it with his eyes shut if he has ever seen a Focus or Astra or any VW etc etc

moorey

call me Mia
My bad, poor knowledge in the models.
You’ve changed your story since ‘same as changing MTB pads’ though.
Mechanic charged maybe $50, can’t recall.
Was under $150 total, instead of quoted $800 though.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Lol. Fair enough. It’s as easy but there may be more steps ;)

I’d argue winding a piston in is easier than bleeding sram brakes though...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
anyhoo - as for the Pug Partner van, beware the diesel will cost a bit more to run. There are more filters and if injectors or pumps go it can get exxy fast (as for any modern diesel).

Petrol will be way cheaper..