2010/2011 Vic DH State Series Official Discussion Thread!!

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just gonna say one thing,maybe on the sat morning have a track walk open the shuttles but NO bikes just a walk top to bottom just to check stuff out..

matt :cool:
You can do it anyway if you keep a look out, and if you really didn't want riders just do it friday or early early saturday.

Shredden

Knows his goats
3) a good thing would be a remote screen with the timing on so people don;t keep bothering the timiing guys, they're really busy and it's stressful for them, and it's useful to see live timing. just a monitor near the timing tent so you can keep an eye your position/time.
Hell yes! I went to an XC race recently and it is soo much better with a screen!

RGN

Likes Bikes
State series courses

First I must confess I do not race downhill, but I have a son who will be starting in the next couple of years (does anybody know a Melbourne club that does junior development?), and I will probably do some races when he does. But when I was your age I competed extensively in canoe slalom, and organised international level events. And I have only attended events at You Yangs, so some I my points may already be implemented.

Apart from Ballarat, there is no second level race series, consequently the state series needs to also be the junior, beginner race development series.

Courses: when people say they would like harder courses, I suspect what they mean is they would like scarier features within the course. The challenge of fear can be an important component for these types of racers. The only need to be one or two features to keep the adrenaline heads happy and the rest of the course can be designed around good people riding fast and the others riding slow errr having fun. He big huck in the original bandages and glory is a good example. Admittedly, the feature did need a better B-line. It would be interesting to hear why the feature was taken out. I like the idea of b an c line's being smaller (but slower) versions of the a-line. Kids need to be able to huck , jump, descend steep stuff etc. So if the big boys are hucking the kids should be doing a smaller huck, on a longer line to ensure it is slower. (a huck that drops into a rock garden is not a solution). If the a-line gaps, the b-line tabletops. Don't think of the alternate lines as being the annoying link you have to build for useless riders, think of it as the junior development line. Obviously this will not always be possible, so my next thought is to not ruin the flow of the track with the alternate routes. If the a-line is designed to be ridden at 30k/h then slowing the juniors to 3 k/h will not teach them how to ride down hill tracks. If the A-line is a high speed gap, don't send the juniors into a slow speed rock garden.

At the other end are the elite riders, and it is also important to cater to them. Everybody is excited when a local rider makes it on a national or international stage. Catering to elite riders ensures that your local elite riders will attend as well as attracting interstate riders. This adds excitement to the races. I think it is important that the series organisers ensure there is a wide variety of riding environments throughout the series. You Yangs may be very good at teaching you to ride rock gardens, but it does not really teach you to corner. Split times would also be an interesting things for the general rider but extremely useful and appealing for the elite riders. elite only practice times may also be useful.

Otherwise, remember to look after your volunteers, commentators at the bottom were very good at you Yangs, but what about one halfway down the run.

Remember to keep it fun on

tracywhittaker

Likes Bikes
Scrap Qualifying for women, What the point when they have so few numbers that its just seeding for them.QUOTE]

I find this comment really disappointing being a female rider myself. I don’t see why we should only do a race run to save 20 minutes.
You don’t see the National series stopping qualify for women to save on time.
When you think about it, it’s not the women riders that make the event run longer on a Sunday, it’s the things that can’t be prevented, such as crashes.

dw4dh

Likes Dirt
I don't know if it's been said but I think that the top 25 riders should qualify. For all the classes that have to qualify. As at the You Yangs in the first round it was 15 and whens theres nearly 50 people in one class its a bit unfair that only a very small portion of the 50 get to have a race run. Besides that I believe this series was well run.

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Scrap Qualifying for women, What the point when they have so few numbers that its just seeding for them.
When you think about it, it’s not the women riders that make the event run longer on a Sunday, it’s the things that can’t be prevented, such as crashes.
Now now Tracy.. We don't want to go trying to copy the Nationals. Everyone nows the the Vic series is better anyway. If anything, the nationals need to be copying our series. ;)

Anyway, I do agree. Females pay the same entries so should get the same rights as the guys. We all want more chicks in the sport so I think we should support them as much as we can. If the chicks want to do a qualifying/seeding run then I say let them.

Last edited:

Gravity Addict

Likes Dirt
First I must confess I do not race downhill, but I have a son who will be starting in the next couple of years (does anybody know a Melbourne club that does junior development?), and I will probably do some races when he does. But when I was your age I competed extensively in canoe slalom, and organised international level events. And I have only attended events at You Yangs, so some I my points may already be implemented.

Apart from Ballarat, there is no second level race series, consequently the state series needs to also be the junior, beginner race development series.

Courses: when people say they would like harder courses, I suspect what they mean is they would like scarier features within the course. The challenge of fear can be an important component for these types of racers. The only need to be one or two features to keep the adrenaline heads happy and the rest of the course can be designed around good people riding fast and the others riding slow errr having fun. He big huck in the original bandages and glory is a good example. Admittedly, the feature did need a better B-line. It would be interesting to hear why the feature was taken out. I like the idea of b an c line's being smaller (but slower) versions of the a-line. Kids need to be able to huck , jump, descend steep stuff etc. So if the big boys are hucking the kids should be doing a smaller huck, on a longer line to ensure it is slower. (a huck that drops into a rock garden is not a solution). If the a-line gaps, the b-line tabletops. Don't think of the alternate lines as being the annoying link you have to build for useless riders, think of it as the junior development line. Obviously this will not always be possible, so my next thought is to not ruin the flow of the track with the alternate routes. If the a-line is designed to be ridden at 30k/h then slowing the juniors to 3 k/h will not teach them how to ride down hill tracks. If the A-line is a high speed gap, don't send the juniors into a slow speed rock garden.

At the other end are the elite riders, and it is also important to cater to them. Everybody is excited when a local rider makes it on a national or international stage. Catering to elite riders ensures that your local elite riders will attend as well as attracting interstate riders. This adds excitement to the races. I think it is important that the series organisers ensure there is a wide variety of riding environments throughout the series. You Yangs may be very good at teaching you to ride rock gardens, but it does not really teach you to corner. Split times would also be an interesting things for the general rider but extremely useful and appealing for the elite riders. elite only practice times may also be useful.

Otherwise, remember to look after your volunteers, commentators at the bottom were very good at you Yangs, but what about one halfway down the run.

Remember to keep it fun on
This is exactly right.
every one listen to this guy

222man

Squid
[Scrap Qualifying for women, What the point when they have so few numbers that its just seeding for them.QUOTE]

I find this comment really disappointing being a female rider myself. I don’t see why we should only do a race run to save 20 minutes.
Yeah and alot of those Crashes are the females, thier runs take them ages, they all pass each other a million times and crash heaps.

There is only probably 2 good female riders in the vic state series, when the rest step up and realise that having a vagina isnt an excuse for sucking so much i might actually feel that they deserve thier qualfying run, until then they should have to earn it like all the men do. There seems to be an attitude amougst the females that simply having a half arsed go is good enough. You dont see the sport guys hugging each other after a terrible run where the stack from going to slow 8 times.

The whole line about femails paying the same as males is a bit of a crock, They pay the same as expert and sport men but they dont qualfying.

Last edited:

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah and alot of those Crashes are caused by the females, thier runs take them ages, they all pass each other a million times and crash heaps.

There is only probably 2 good female riders in the vic state series, when the rest step up and realise that having a vagina isnt an excuse for sucking so much i might actually feel that they deserve thier qualfying run, until then they should have to earn it like all the men do. There seems to be an attitude amougst the females that simply having a half arsed go is good enough. You dont see the sport guys hugging each other after a terrible run where the stack from going to slow 8 times.

The whole line about femails paying the same as males is a bit of a crock, They pay the same as expert and sport men but they dont qualfying.
Holy shit fight starter Batman!

One of those good riders has posted in this thread dude. I think what you're saying is a bit over the top, I think it's good for the girls to be out there giving it a go.

aceyone

Likes Dirt
Snip...

Snip...
It's maybe a bit further afield, but we generally run a couple of club races a year up here in Albury that've got a bunch of juniors off and rolling (pun intended!) in the last few years.

Yeah and alot of those Crashes are caused by the females...

Snip...
(Uh-oh... )

Sorry 222man -- disagree with pretty-much everything you said.

Wikid Z

Likes Dirt
The top couple of girls in the dh series spend a lot of their weekend helping out the other females competitors and they deserve the same right as the elite males. Most of these girls are quicker than myself. Then again I would expect that as they are elite female racers.

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah and alot of those Crashes are the females, thier runs take them ages, they all pass each other a million times and crash heaps.

I believe that the girls deserve to ride more than you with comments like that mate. That was not called for, and inaccurate. If that is your opinion I think you should keep it to yourself, this is a constructive forum, not a place to bad mouth a minority group.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Someone's head is on the chopping block :eek:

I'd like to see thing's like the whistle which was awesome at you yang's incorporated into the state series, that's about it really guys, series was pretty top notch if you ask me!

Calvin M

Likes Dirt

Tone it down you look like a real asshole writing like that. Have your say but dont try so hard to offend these no need for it.

swanny

Likes Dirt
Whos the FRIDAY F**K WIT!!!!!!!

Yeah that sort of attitude towards ANY group is NEVER acceptable. I pretty sure that if I was to ever find out who you are, then many might agree that we shouldnt let YOU race in any races AT ALL!!
Pull ya head in mate, learn some manners and maybe even let then rest of know who you are so the women can all laugh when they smoke you!!!!!!

BTW all women welcome, we need many more chicks to get into it....................

Matt.

juzz

Likes Dirt
Swanny has a point, we need more women in the sport. I am hoping (on a positive note) 222 guy is just trying to rev us all up to get more girls into the sport, if they can get their backs up enough they would race.
If enough chicks get out there racing they will be waisting alot more than 20mins and giving more competition to the girls already racing, and more chicks to beat me too..
And if not name and shame...Haha

mutters21

Likes Bikes
Yeooooooooooow! Hey Maaan!

It's Jai Motherwell over here :) Can't wait for the next series, it's always good to get out there on the bike and rip it up!

I started reading everyones comments, till i relised there was 8 pages! Ceeebs, anyway my personal opinion is defs bring in the whistles! Keep the Mini busses at beauty, I think that SC is better than Big Hill personaly because it's more tech and flows real nice and just links up well (My favourite) Also, big fan off bargarg and we didn't really have any hard tracks in the series last year, we had Taylor which was sick! But we need to look at how many people would turn up because it's so far away from most of the riders.. On You Yangs, i really like the place but i prefer the old track to the new one, it's a little longer and heaps harder. I found that the new one wasn't very hard and was more something you would go ride with a couple of mates on a weekend for a bit of fun, just fast flowy jumps, minimal pedaling and no tech stuff, in other words it wasn't very demanding..

Thats my personal opinion anyway :)

Thanks in advance for an amazing 2010/2011 series :D

Brown Dog

Likes Dirt
Yeooooooooooow! Hey Maaan!

It's Jai Motherwell over here :) Can't wait for the next series, it's always good to get out there on the bike and rip it up!

I started reading everyones comments, till i relised there was 8 pages! Ceeebs, anyway my personal opinion is defs bring in the whistles! Keep the Mini busses at beauty, I think that SC is better than Big Hill personaly because it's more tech and flows real nice and just links up well (My favourite) Also, big fan off bargarg and we didn't really have any hard tracks in the series last year, we had Taylor which was sick! But we need to look at how many people would turn up because it's so far away from most of the riders.. On You Yangs, i really like the place but i prefer the old track to the new one, it's a little longer and heaps harder. I found that the new one wasn't very hard and was more something you would go ride with a couple of mates on a weekend for a bit of fun, just fast flowy jumps, minimal pedaling and no tech stuff, in other words it wasn't very demanding..

Thats my personal opinion anyway :)

Thanks in advance for an amazing 2010/2011 series :D
I see your point mate, maybe after we give Bandages a face lift and take out the flat sections then that will be the track to race, the You Yangs will be forever changing. Bandages and Turbulence = 1.6km both the same length just one is faster with less cornering and no real pedaly sections, the other a little flatter and a little more tech. ;)

Also 222 i hope you have been reading all the comments on here about you and have had a real hard think about what you have said, not good bro.

Last edited: