2010/2011 Vic DH State Series Official Discussion Thread!!

jmurphy

Likes Dirt
Well then why has the You Yangs had so much development (money going back into it) and Mt Beauty not changed at all? It does cost a lot to run Mt Beauty I know, all the buses and that, BUT... the recent rounds there have pulled numbers around the 300 mark! There's a lot of money in that, $30,000 in entry fees!

QUOTE]

I wouldn't go assuming that thats what is being made out of races, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that much profit is being made, don't forget all of the things that need to be paid for.. not just transport, there is timing and heaps of other stuff that the money goes towards. I have seen the comitee's of the clubs at work, people just have to stop jumping to conclusions and thinking they are getting ripped off or what not... the people who run these events want them to be as cheap as possible for you..

Last edited:

swanny

Likes Dirt
So without going into too much detail, and to try to curb some people perception on how much $$$ the VDHS makes, here goes.
If we had 300 riders, 300 X 85 = $25500 (not $30K)
Of this, $10.00 per rider is used for Capitation Fee, which funds event marketing, rider development, equipment for events and so on.
So now our event just made $22500.
Nearly EVERY race would have total expenses of AT LEAST $20000.
This leaves each host club with $2500 PROFIT..........For the CLUB, not for any people, company, or anything else. The Club then chooses how to best use this money and it usually gets spent on equipment and tools for building trails etc.

Now, this scenario is only valid IF we have 300 riders per event, and trust me, look back at results, we only had 2 events with these numbers.

So come on guys, dont be as naive to think that anybody or Club is rolling in $$$. Its a love sport, and we do it cos we love it. Same as you........Its not like anybody is out there racing for the PRIZEMONEY, which I might add, is probably the best in Australia for gravity events.

trav

Likes Dirt
Well then why has the You Yangs had so much development (money going back into it) and Mt Beauty not changed at all? It does cost a lot to run Mt Beauty I know, all the buses and that, BUT... the recent rounds there have pulled numbers around the 300 mark! There's a lot of money in that, $30,000 in entry fees!

QUOTE]

Well first of all You Yangs was government funded... and also I wouldn't go assuming that thats what is being made out of races, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that much profit is being made, don't forget all of the things that need to be paid for.. not just transport, there is timing and heaps of other stuff that the money goes towards. I have seen the comitee's of the clubs at work, people just have to stop jumping to conclusions and thinking they are getting ripped off or what not... the people who run these events want them to be as cheap as possible for you..
Firstly the You Yangs MTB area is not goverment funded ,the reasone it has had so much devolopment is because the YYMTB Inc and it's supporters invest heavily in the area.I can see why some people may ask what happens with entry fees when other areas do not change from race to race though.

Now as Swanny has pointed out ,it takes at least $20000 to put these type of events on.The host club is lucky to make any money out of it,so I cant see entry fees dropping.

aday

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think everyone who made the series possible needs a massive pat on the back, i saw alot of very tired organisers at the final round & I think people don't realise how hard it is to make a race work. Fantastic job to everyone!

________

I have a suggestion in regards to slowling the whole Sunday rush with Practice, Qualifying & Racing.

To clarify Non-Pro & Pro-Practice held on the Saturday afternoon of every race. Then before finals on Sunday we have Qualifying for Elite Men & Women, Under 19s & Under 17s making Sunday really squeshed for time. My suggestion is to scrap Saturday afternoon's Pro-Practice & Non-Pro-Practice & replaced with Seeding for the "qualifying" classes. [seeding as riders who didnt qualify have no reason to ride sunday, classes may need to be looked at with who seeds]

So when it comes to Saturday afternoon, the track can be live for Seeding, it can be a time to sort out any faults with Timing [saves delays on sunday] & allow all riders know there starting positions for sunday.

On the Sunday, practice can start at it's normal time of 8am [maybe extend practice time?] & finals start for all classes at 1pm [as an example]. The day will be less stressful for the blokes who had to worry about practicing in the morning, trying to fit in lunch before qualifying & then still having there race run late sunday arfternoon.

I think we should go back to a nationals style Elite Men/Women & Under 19's only to seed/qualify. it will also to speed the weekend up etc.

Just a suggestion & i don't intend on being flamed for voicing a simple suggestion. Cheers.

macca21

Likes Dirt
OK OK, they're just suggestions and queries, just after seeing the amazing work at the youies I wondered what was going on everywhere else. I'm just saying what I think will help the sport develop...

From where I'm standing I think the biggest benefit to the the series would be changing the points system so that it brings the field closer together. So that one win from an inter-state rider won't give them an overall in the pointy end of the field.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think everyone who made the series possible needs a massive pat on the back, i saw alot of very tired organisers at the final round & I think people don't realise how hard it is to make a race work. Fantastic job to everyone!

________

I have a suggestion in regards to slowling the whole Sunday rush with Practice, Qualifying & Racing.

To clarify Non-Pro & Pro-Practice held on the Saturday afternoon of every race. Then before finals on Sunday we have Qualifying for Elite Men & Women, Under 19s & Under 17s making Sunday really squeshed for time. My suggestion is to scrap Saturday afternoon's Pro-Practice & Non-Pro-Practice & replaced with Seeding for the "qualifying" classes. [seeding as riders who didnt qualify have no reason to ride sunday, classes may need to be looked at with who seeds]

So when it comes to Saturday afternoon, the track can be live for Seeding, it can be a time to sort out any faults with Timing [saves delays on sunday] & allow all riders know there starting positions for sunday.

On the Sunday, practice can start at it's normal time of 8am [maybe extend practice time?] & finals start for all classes at 1pm [as an example]. The day will be less stressful for the blokes who had to worry about practicing in the morning, trying to fit in lunch before qualifying & then still having there race run late sunday arfternoon.

I think we should go back to a nationals style Elite Men/Women & Under 19's only to seed/qualify. it will also to speed the weekend up etc.

Just a suggestion & i don't intend on being flamed for voicing a simple suggestion. Cheers.
I personally would love it to work like that, qualify the entire class automatically, so they get a full weekend but seed the riders to get them in a slow -> fast order.

Would be a lot less tired come race run time, with out having to do a qualifying earlier.

And yes, 19's, elite men/woman is all that needs seed/qual'ing really.

at the drive in

Likes Dirt
Scrap Qualifying for women, What the point when they have so few numbers that its just seeding for them.

Also i thought that expert lost qualifying to be more in line with nationals, if so why does under 17's still have it.

Smooth King

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I think a hot-seat should be a common every event thing, rather than a just 'here or there' thing, like we would see one at some events only, and larger splits between the final top ten elite riders to grow higher levels of suspence and create better atmosphere.
I like this idea. The hotseat at Mt Taylor worked awsome. Was good atmosphere there.
The hotseat idea gave it that extra kick to make it more top notch ! Reccomend it at all Rounds if possible, im fair sure there is no-one who wouldnt want to be in the special seat.

Like someone stated, i have to Hand it to the Event Organisers who put there time and Effort in for these Events to run as good and as Smooth as Possible. Im not the one to complain much, im fair chilled, though Im deffinetly looking forward to next season !

But hopefully Eildon is in the Calender :D

woody 14

Eats Squid

________

i think thats a good idea but i can see a few holes in it.
1) If you dont qualify then you wound of payed $85 just for one day of riding. thats a bit harsh i think.
2) If people know they arnt going to qualify then they will either race in the lower categories (sport, etc) or not race at all
3) Riders that might only be able to only race sunday wont be able to race because of them not being able to get there for saterday.

also as said already get rid of women qualifying. there is no need for it as there is not enough of them to have anyone not qualify.
amd yes a hot seat at every race would be sick as.

just my 2c

swanny

Likes Dirt
Women will always get qualifying so long as they want to do two runs, so you can forget that idea. Obviously none of the people who have said this are women???
The girls pay the same amount of entry fee, and deserve the chance to ride. We have some real quick girls and they would wipe the floor of most guys, so let them have the ride. And if we did scrap their second run its only going to save about 20 mins from the days racing. Besides this, many of the girls do a hell of a lot for the sport and need to be encouraged. Besides no girls = sausage fest, is that what you really want???
Saturday seeding has been discussed before, but we will bring it up again.

aday

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think thats a good idea but i can see a few holes in it.
1) If you dont qualify then you wound of payed $85 just for one day of riding. thats a bit harsh i think.
2) If people know they arnt going to qualify then they will either race in the lower categories (sport, etc) or not race at all
3) Riders that might only be able to only race sunday wont be able to race because of them not being able to get there for saterday.

also as said already get rid of women qualifying. there is no need for it as there is not enough of them to have anyone not qualify.
amd yes a hot seat at every race would be sick as.

just my 2c
Make it seeding, solves all of those holes. For the 5% of riders who race sunday only, they can just start off as slowest seeded. No holes now.

Smooth King

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As far as events go, I would really like to see Eildon in there, love that track and area in general. Also agree with some others, Barjarg and Buller would be great, really missed those three in the season just gone.
Im on same Page with you there also Jake. Deffinetly would like to See Buller in there and Big Bad Barjarg out in this years Calender !.
Think we are on the same page haha..

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im on same Page with you there also Jake. Deffinetly would like to See Buller in there and Big Bad Barjarg out in this years Calender !.
Same here,

I'd like to see both tracks at buller run, can't go past chairlifts and location!

Barjarg i miss quite a bit.

Yacks good too, Beauty SC, Baw Baw and Eildon.

Also think that Beauty SC would be the best race for state champs, good length track so times are close, and an epic finish that brings a crowd and adds to the awesome atmosphere

What a sick season that would be!

Ozza

Eats Squid
Series was a ripper this year, first time I attended every race! Always room for improvements, but no doubt this one has set a new benchmark. I thought at Big Hill, although the track was sub 10 minutes in the end, how higher class riders were sent down in there series standing for qualifying, brilliant! Whether the course is is under or over 3 minutes, this is ideal, esspecially in such classes like U19 with high variance in rider abilities!

Few other ideas.... keep the bunting as wide as possible in sections, try bunt/track build sections with pull over points, key hole wc like finish area depending on venue obviously, the sticker on the number plate idea for compulsory sunday run isnt flash... creates congestion at the top of the hill sunday when people want to be motoring... resulting in domino effect at the first corner! This would be quciker done once the trailer is loaded, a volunteer runs along and sticks them on before the shuttle goes up.

Cheaper sunday only prices, lets be honest... last season it was 20 bucks cheaper! Personally this is what resulted in me not riding the last round. If I can work on a saturday for extra cash or attend a family event and still make it to a race on the sunday only on a track Im familiar with, its going to need to be a little more worthwhile!

Thatll do me until a few more pop up!

Last edited:

Zyphryss

Breaker of the unbreakable
This is a very minor thing, and probably irrelevant for most people... but IMO, I would rather win a trophy engraved with my name, rather than a universal trophy + a prize bag. Most of the prizes get sold off anyway, and I think it would be nice if they were a bit more personal. I realise that this involves time, and money, and again, it's only a very minor thing. Still keen to hear peoples thoughts though..

Amazing series though, can't wait for next season on a big bike! ;)

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is a very minor thing, and probably irrelevant for most people... but IMO, I would rather win a trophy engraved with my name, rather than a universal trophy + a prize bag. Most of the prizes get sold off anyway, and I think it would be nice if they were a bit more personal. I realise that this involves time, and money, and again, it's only a very minor thing. Still keen to hear peoples thoughts though..

Amazing series though, can't wait for next season on a big bike! ;)
Unfortunately Todd, were not all as pro as you, and don't make the podium ;)

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think so, that page is the go. haha

Yacks good too, Beauty SC, Baw Baw and Eildon.

Also think that Beauty SC would be the best race for state champs, good length track so times are close, and an epic finish that brings a crowd and adds to the awesome atmosphere

What a sick season that would be!
Have to have Yac, it was great having an event just down the road, plus I loved being able to help out with track prep for once. Great track there, love it, Big thanks to Simon for letting us all out there on his property. Have to disagree with you there Jacko, I would rather see champs at Barjarg. That track would really separate the boys from the men, and for champs I think people would be more willing to put it on the line. Would make for some great filming and spectator viewing if they decide to make the walk up the hill. I think that would be the best place for champs, but I do agree that Beauty SC would be good and have a great atmosphere.

Have to have Baw Baw as a round this year, would rather see it as a round over champs. There are so many tracks that I want to go to, I hope there are many rounds this coming season.

Looserider

Likes Bikes
Firstly, thanks to all for putting in and getting this series happening. Is definately the best. One thing that springs to mind that would help on race day (especially really cold or very hot ones) is for the delay while the qualifying results are printed and posted up to go. If there were some way this could be avoided it would, as a marshall and spectator, keep the day flowing and riders keep coming down the hill, and as a rider, you are not sitting up the top for sometimes over an hour waiting for your run, even though it is a really good time to have a social chat with your mates!!