2010/2011 Vic DH State Series Official Discussion Thread!!

jmurphy

Likes Dirt
I think alot of people will agree with me when i say.. If we race Beauty SC can we please use the bottom section of big hill after you cross the road.. the other section was sooo shit!

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think alot of people will agree with me when i say.. If we race Beauty SC can we please use the bottom section of big hill after you cross the road.. the other section was sooo shit!
disagree... the part immediatly after the road is better, the rest of it is alright.

The one we did race was more technical through the middle steeper part, and i think that it would be longer

cluster

Likes Dirt
I disagree; I loved the SC bottom section that got used last season!!! It's always good to have something new... its more technical and is a bit longer (I think???) - the other bottom section is a bit too easy I thought...
Mind you, I did wipe out an XO derailleur on a rock in the new bottom section, so that's definitely a minus:eek:

Last edited:

D.HILL817

Likes Dirt
I disagree; I loved the SC bottom section that got used last season!!! It's always good to have something new... its more technical and is a bit longer (I think???) - the other bottom section is a bit too easy I thought...
Mind you, I did wipe out an XO derailleur on a rock in the new bottom section, so that's definitely a minus:eek:
Yeah the SC bottom is way better i love those little rock gardens.

Puppet Master

Likes Dirt
Just my 2c, but in reply to all suggesting a price drop, not realistic at all and I think the Vic series is very good value for money, the national that I attended was very expensive and VERY badly organised. this is My first season in Aus and very impressed with the organisation and price of the events. UK events are nearly twice the price. a couple of other things:-

1) Whistles are good, been used in the UK and all over Europe for years very helpful youknow when you're catching or being caught

2) Saturday seedin for sport/vets etc is good as means there is less overtaking, as this slows you down (Fort Bill one year I was held up by 8 riders!) pro classes have qualifying as now.

3) a good thing would be a remote screen with the timing on so people don;t keep bothering the timiing guys, they're really busy and it's stressful for them, and it's useful to see live timing. just a monitor near the timing tent so you can keep an eye your position/time

I only attended half the series but as I said it was very good, looking forward to next season.

broomey

Squid
thoughts on harder tracks??

every one at the vdhs seems to be getting alot better these days even the newbies
and the younger riders. maybe we could start working on making some of the easier
tracks a bit harder and more tech. still with the a, b and c lines but make it so the more skill you have the more it shows in your time.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
every one at the vdhs seems to be getting alot better these days even the newbies
and the younger riders. maybe we could start working on making some of the easier
tracks a bit harder and more tech. still with the a, b and c lines but make it so the more skill you have the more it shows in your time.
I'm in 2 frames of mind for this.
1. Yes - for progression.
2. No - I can see it scaring off alot of people still cutting their teeth in DH. Remember, racing is for everyone, not just the top 10% of each catagory.

So maybe not make easy tracks harder, just harder to ride fast. Or a mix of some hard tracks **cough** Barjarg **cough** and some easy like Mt Beauty SC or InterBom or something.

Thoughts?

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in 2 frames of mind for this.
1. Yes - for progression.
2. No - I can see it scaring off alot of people still cutting their teeth in DH. Remember, racing is for everyone, not just the top 10% of each catagory.

So maybe not make easy tracks harder, just harder to ride fast. Or a mix of some hard tracks **cough** Barjarg **cough** and some easy like Mt Beauty SC or InterBom or something.

Thoughts?
Barjarg is just too good to miss.
But Interbomb, i think, is a waste of time. That fireroad link is crap, and you miss the flatter top part of Inter, which alot of people do bitch about, but really requires you to hit stuff smooth and fast. And you dont even really ride much of ABOM at all, seems like the first half of the run is a waste of time.

Ideally, both tracks would be raced seperately, due to the use of lifts which are amazingly more effecient.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Barjarg is just too good to miss.
But Interbomb, i think, is a waste of time. That fireroad link is crap, and you miss the flatter top part of Inter, which alot of people do bitch about, but really requires you to hit stuff smooth and fast. And you dont even really ride much of ABOM at all, seems like the first half of the run is a waste of time.

Ideally, both tracks would be raced seperately, due to the use of lifts which are amazingly more effecient.
Agreed. But that's not what I am saying. I am saying have some hard tracks and some easy tracks in the season. I consider both Abom and International to be easy, but racing Interbom makes it easy without being boring. This is just an example. Nothing more.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed. But that's not what I am saying. I am saying have some hard tracks and some easy tracks in the season. I consider both Abom and International to be easy, but racing Interbom makes it easy without being boring. This is just an example. Nothing more.
Totally agree with the easy/hard tracks.

Tracks like Eildon, and even ABOM are hard to ride really fast, but theres nothing difficult on them really.

Eildon would make for a killer start to the season, and i'd like to see Barjarg towards the end.

Most of the tracks aren't that hard, they're easy enought to get down, but doing it quickly and cleanly is where it gets "hard".

Whichever tracks are run, i think that this season is going to be a awesome one!

Morgan123

Likes Dirt
Would love to see Abom and Inter on the race calender, would find it hard to pass up riding a round with those chairlifts.

hey guys,
my thoughts on the tracks for next season are:

yack
beauty - bighill
barjarg - state champs
eildon
buller
youies
baw baw
shepperton maybe ??

i disagree with you on the part where you say short track bottem is longer than bighill bottem, because my brother and i rode bighhill then when we crossed the road and we raced i did short track bottem and he did bighill botteml and he is alot quicker than me and i almost ran into him at the stair case corner where the two tracks meet

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cant wait to see what the dates will be.
need to organize leave from work any idea how far we are off an announcement?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
cant wait to see what the dates will be.
need to organize leave from work any idea how far we are off an announcement?
Maybe not that long........I know someone that knows someone, that is slightly related to people that might be organising the dates/venues. Hold tight!:D

mcurrie

Likes Dirt
just gonna say one thing,maybe on the sat morning have a track walk open the shuttles but NO bikes just a walk top to bottom just to check stuff out..

matt :cool:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Matt good suggestion.
What about early sunday morning?
a track changes through an hour let alone a whole day with heaps of people going sick down it

Case king

Likes Dirt
I know the nationals start happening over the summer holidays but I would like to see a race over that period...or it may just be because I haven't raced the nationals yet.