2010 Snow season thread

Bilza_ridez

Banned
Just want to know and hear about what you think
this years season will be like.
Ive heard from snowfrog that we wont get a fall to mid june
but im hoping that its a bumper like in 2004 (Great Season)
and also you can tell where you want to for this years season (im hoping for Perisher)

Last edited:

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
spending the season in perisher. june is meant to be average till around the 21st then start of july will have a massive dump. supposed to be the first season in about 5 years with >2m of base so fingers crossed for a good one. check the long range forecast on snowatch.com.au

Bilza_ridez

Banned
Great

yeh i have been watching the snowatch website to see if there are any developments
hopefully there will be a 2m base
i just hope it will be better than last years, i went to mt Buller and it was quite terrible
but anyway down here in Geelong Vic it is Really raining at the moment
hopefully a good sign (y)

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
ive been checking the perisher website frequently they reckon the season is staring in about 12 days... hopefully there is some snow.

Bilza_ridez

Banned
Yeh

yeh i have been as well. Unfortunately a lot of the man made cover has been washed and
melted away :(. But I have also been hearing good news about how the temps will drop at the end of the week and we'll see the guns fire up:)
hopefully a good starting base (y)

bitterbro

Likes Dirt
it's too early to tell. any snow that could drop now or even in a few weeks would be no indication of how good the season would be. in 1982 it started snowing early april, but it turned out to be one of the weakest seasons on record, and in one of the biggest seasons, it didn't start really dumping until mid august.

fingers crossed. hoping (as always) it'll be good, and not crowded. but you can't have both. welcome to skiing in australia

Bilza_ridez

Banned
Yeh back in 2008 i think it was it didnt start snowing till about the start of July.
But that season was fairly good and it was good all the way through September

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
anyone in canberra heading to the adrenaline + straitline rail jam on saturday night?

I'll be there then heading to perisher on Sunday to start work Monday :D:D:D

Riding Hoares

Likes Dirt
great predictions

I have been looking on snowatch at the long range forcast latley and it looks like it will be a good season. I have heard that the rain will be above avergae this year meaning good snowfalls for all resorts.
Bilza is the best ;)

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
anyone in canberra heading to the adrenaline + straitline rail jam on saturday night?
I went a few years ago and it was pretty good, but to be honest it got a little messy. There was a lot of ego floating around... some of the 'Jindy' locals were loud mouths and pretty much bagging out all the canberra boarders. There were a few little scuffles, nothing too crazy though.

I will be giving it a miss though. My mum is getting married tomorrow night. :)

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
I have been looking on snowatch at the long range forcast latley and it looks like it will be a good season. I have heard that the rain will be above avergae this year meaning good snowfalls for all resorts.
Bilza is the best ;)
i heard on the radio this years winter is going to be warmer than usual with more rain.

Bilza_ridez

Banned
hmm

yeh i saw that as well which could do bad, its something to do with this el nino and la nina stuff apparently normal for this period.
but you never know the temps at the moment at the resorts are -2 which means the guns will be firing up every where.

just pray for a good season (y)

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
i heard on the radio this years winter is going to be warmer than usual with more rain.
id prefer slightly warmer, with more rain, then super cold and no rain.

atleast you know, even if it is, slightly warmer, its still going to snow sometimes! yeah you might get a bit of slush with the rain, but give me a day of slush, over a day of rock hard ice any time.

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
id prefer slightly warmer, with more rain, then super cold and no rain.

atleast you know, even if it is, slightly warmer, its still going to snow sometimes! yeah you might get a bit of slush with the rain, but give me a day of slush, over a day of rock hard ice any time.
i find with warmer days, the snow goes slushy, then over night when the temps drop, it all freezes and turns to ice.
30cm of pow each night is what we need :p

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
i find with warmer days, the snow goes slushy, then over night when the temps drop, it all freezes and turns to ice.
30cm of pow each night is what we need :p

but, in australia, that happens any way, as its not often we get more then 3 days of negatives!

atleast if its warm, the ice chops up quickly!

Switch

huskier headed gent
Opening weekend is about a piss up, it has nothing to do with snow. That being said there are expected snow falls in the next couple of days and above 1300m on Friday in Vic but I doubt there will be enough to warrant getting out on the hill.
In terms of the outlook for the season, it will be EPIC as I did not get a Valley Pass this year due to injury and I have an uncanny ability to miss good seasons so strap yourself in for some big powder dumps just to piss me off :D

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone headed to NZ? I'm going in july, looking at visiting perisher as well if good season and Japan at the end of the year.

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
Anyone headed to NZ? I'm going in july, looking at visiting perisher as well if good season and Japan at the end of the year.
i WAS going to NZ but a car crash put me and debt and i cant afford to anymore, hopefully ill be able to afford a trip to the northern hemisphere aswell. jap sounds like a good destination. but most likely somewhere in EU for me because i dont need a visa.