2010 Snow season thread

Switch

huskier headed gent
Depends on what level of skiier you are. I killed my Candide's to the point that they had such little stiffness left when I stepped onto my next set of skis I skiied down an off piste section no dramas but as soon as I hit the groomed run at the bottom went to lay an edge and ended up on my arse. If you are a reasonably advanced skiier you will be comfortable enough after a couple of hours but the subtleties of a new ski can take ages to get used too. My latest skis are 4frnt MSP's and love them but still getting used to skiing trees on them even after a season. What skis have you purchased?

B.utters

Likes Dirt
I'll be in Queenstown in about 2 weeks time. I haven't been boarding in NZ before so does anyone have advice on the best mountain to head to?

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll be in Queenstown in about 2 weeks time. I haven't been boarding in NZ before so does anyone have advice on the best mountain to head to?
ATM for consistency, best snow and the most variable terrain to ride, Cardrona for sure.

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
just got back from a week at thredbo. some of the worst conditions i have skied on. the first day wasn't too bad because we had snow the night before but it just went down hill from there. i had an urge do jump on a bike and go for a pedal there because of how little snow there was.

i was so disappointed. luckily i was there with about 8 friends so i still had a good time, but the snow conditions were pretty disappointing.

Bilza_ridez

Banned
Man This thread died....
but it is now back alive again with that big dump we had last week
anyone heading up to falls in the next few weeks?

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Man This thread died....
but it is now back alive again with that big dump we had last week
anyone heading up to falls in the next few weeks?
umm i will be up at falls a few times id say. was there yesterday, and hotham on weds thurs fri.

the dump of snow was good, hopefully it last's and we get another 30-40 over next two weeks, which would mean everything will open at most vic resorts id say!

falls is really fun at the moment, their park on drovers is awsome. hotham on the other hand, still needs a little more. the actual snow and open terrain there is lacking. i spent most of my time doing walk up runs of blue ribbon area. untill we got drilled by ski patrol!

sawtell

What happened with the ski patrol?
just the usual, cant you guys read the signs etc etc, we are sick of people like you getting stuck on closed runs, getting lost etc.

the funniest point he made was that they are trying to conserve the snow on the runs untill they get another dump, so they could open the area... what a complete load of bullshit!!! if theres untouched powder, of which i know a short few hundred metre walk gets me to a chair lift, im going to ride it!

after a bit got a bit sick of his complaining and started to be a bit of a smartarse, he threatened to take my season pass! hahaha

was still a fun few days! except for the constant annoying snow fall, constant light snowfall, that accumlates to like 3cms over a whole day is nothing but a pain in the arse!

did completly destroy my new board, a few times i looked behind me to see orange strings of my base on the rocks!

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
The other day at Buller I had this super weird feeling that this dude was you, don't ask me why but I just did, kept saying 'Alex, Alex.' Yes I do know your name because I sit beside your window every night ;)

Bloody TSC kids at Buller yesterday made me feel like I only just started boarding, bastards!

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bloody TSC kids at Buller yesterday made me feel like I only just started boarding, bastards!
Try boarding at Cardies. There's a 10 year old shredder throwing backies and a couple of guys that look around 15 throwing consistent 5's.

In other news...BURTON OPEN THIS WEEK! :D

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Their coach is like if you do another 5-0 on that rail I'll punch you in the nuts to one of the kids, I'm all :mad::mad::mad: I only just 5-0'd it!

sawtell

Their coach is like if you do another 5-0 on that rail I'll punch you in the nuts to one of the kids, I'm all :mad::mad::mad: I only just 5-0'd it!
hahaha yeah, tell me about it, those kids can ride pretty damn well!

kind of like my mates little brother, he is like 12, been boarding 6 days. and can already do every rail trick i can do!

pocket_cup

Likes Dirt
its the same with those milo kids, theyre nuts. they make everyone else look like they should still be on the magic carpets and have a strap across the front of their ski's. lol

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got back about 2 weeks ago from Q-town, was heaps of fun with mac alpine (macquarie uni) about 90 people, cardies was the best with midget skiers and boarders shredding everything. We are going down to buller for snow games in 2 weeks? anyone else going to snow games (for unis)?, buller is supposed to get snow all week long!

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
Anyone been to Baw Baw? Seriously considering going on Friday, just looking to get better at park stuff so I'd mainly be doing rails/boxes/kickers all day, so take that into consideration.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
Yo! Anyone been to Japan? Looking at hitting up 2 weeks in Feb next year in Hakuba then Niseko, any advice would be awesome.

S-Club

Squid
Anyone been to Baw Baw? Seriously considering going on Friday, just looking to get better at park stuff so I'd mainly be doing rails/boxes/kickers all day, so take that into consideration.
I haven't hit up baw baw this season. I'd be up for a day trip at some stage. Let me know if you want someone to ride park with up there.

Yo! Anyone been to Japan? Looking at hitting up 2 weeks in Feb next year in Hakuba then Niseko, any advice would be awesome.
Yeah i've done 3 seasons in Hokkaido, a couple in Niseko and then one out of a van. What do you want to know?

Lots of snow in hokkaido, park's okay and is getting better. Hakuba has real mountains but honshu not as much snow full. Niseko is fun; reliable snow with some fun terrain around. It's a fun base, but its worth getting out and checking out elsewhere in Hokaido with better terrain and less people. Look at resorts around Asahikawa, particuarly Asahidake.

PM me if you have any other specific.

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
I am pretty much looking at keeping it centralised around Tokyo as I won't have a lot of time to travel around... looking at around 1.5 - 2.5 weeks, I also want to spend a few days just checking out Tokyo. So Niseko is now out of the question... and I have turned my attention to Myoko + Hakuba.