2010 UCI Road Cycling World Championships - Geelong

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
YAY my tipping ability has improved today - then again given I began my World Champs tipping performance by choosing somebody who wasnt even in the race (u23 itt) I suppose I couldnt have done any worse :p

4th and 5th in the mens itt. 2nd and 5th u23 itt. 8th,18th,19th womens itt. Australia is certainly punching well above its weight in the cycling world

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
One HD ruined the TT for me

So I switched on last night at 10pm when the cycling was suppose to start only to have Sports Tonight run late and tell who the winner was for the TT. Stupid One HD ruining what is a pretty boring event if you know who the winner is. That is just poor television.

Top effort Cancellara. Porte will be an interesting one to watch over the next 10 years

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Michael Mathews takes no prisoners!!!

End of Day 3:

Australia: 3 Jumpers: 1

interesrting that such a big group came back together at the end - I'm going to have to rethink my choices for the Elite Mens RR

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
...Stupid One HD...
Totally agree. No one but SBS should handle the cycling.

Another thing I've noticed with the cycling news on mainstream TV lately is that they have given more air time to the Conti drug controversy than the World Champs... which by the way are in Geelong. Such a joke. Australia (the country) doesnt know how to cover the sport properly, such a shame given we have some real guns in the sport.

Michael Mathews takes no prisoners!!!
This guy's an example of a gun. A combination of a well executed finish/right place at the right time.

Porte 4 RR World CHamp!!!

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Toady is just a nightmare.
Cycling, Moto Gp, League all on at once. Might be time to hook up Borat's VCR Record....:)

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow, pretty dramatic with about 1.5km to go, where the hell did the peleton come from?!?!?!

I appear to have edged away from Jumpers 4-3 in the end. Well played mate. See you for the Spring Classics/ Giro? I dont even know when the Cth games race is, but if you put a thread and some categories to tip on I'll jump in on it

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Australia well done you got me again. That was a mighty tip Matthews in u23 road race. I thought we may hace nearly tied in womens road with arndt and cooke at lead with 100m to go.
I thought mens road was most exciting race of season - god of thunder rode a mighty race. Cadel did good job, thought he showed real pride in rainbow jersey and fought like a true champion.
I will get the cwealth form guide and statrt a new thread tuesday.
Alot of people on course yesterday - cycling has arrived in Aust.
Did you see the guy dressed in borat man kini running beside - sure beats the red devil!!!!
Good see no Spain guys finish

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Fuck OneHD.

Put my TV recorder on to record the whole event to watch it last night when I got home from work, not realising they'd just switch to the freaking Moto GP half way through the 5th lap of the circuit...so I watch from the very start in Melbourne, with all the pre-race commentary, all the way through to the 5th lap where things are actually starting to get exciting, and they go to an ad-break, but end up changing events completely. So I had to read about it online, like a chump.

Pissed off. :mad:

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Big congrats to Allan Davis, that was a brave ride. But I reckon mucho praise must go to Simon Gerrans for his effort to keep the Aussies in contention. It was an amazing ride and he busted himself for Davis and Evans.:) Aussie pride.:cool:

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Looked like Gerro has been talking to Jens, with Stuey having to keep riding up to the front to say "not yet Gerro", "Calm down Gerro", "take it easy Gerro" then finally "OK, go Gerro"

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got to watch the Mighty Dragons pick up a well deserved premiership, then came home to watch the end of the road race (taped) and got to see Aussies kicking arse and one on the podium, all in all, a good day! I'm still confused though, how on earth did the peleton come back that hard???

Samy

Likes Dirt
Was amzaing to see these big guns race around my local streets. Geelong put on one hell of an event. Looked great on TV and the racing was top-notch.

I got out to see most days of racing and time trialing from various parts of the course. Sunday had a crazy amount of spectators everywhere. Cadel had such a crack on the final 2 climbs, awesome effort and great to see Alby come through with the goods.

Anyone know if you can buy a DVD of the worlds after they are run and won (preferably with Phil and Paul commentry)?

uci.jpg

Last edited:

struggles

Likes Dirt
I got to watch the Mighty Dragons pick up a well deserved premiership, then came home to watch the end of the road race (taped) and got to see Aussies kicking arse and one on the podium, all in all, a good day! I'm still confused though, how on earth did the peleton come back that hard???
They put the hammer down, thats how they came back. I was on Queens Park hill when the leaders came through, then waited for the Peleton. After they came through the leaders were only 4 minutes behind.

I then went down to Pako and you could see them getting quicker and quicker until they were just destroying riders with the pace.

Awesome atmosphere on the main street for the sprint with everyone hitting the signs.

Glad I drove the 1600kms to see it all. Hopefully have some photos up in the next few days.

rubikat

Likes Dirt
awesome pic samy.

i was lucky enough to be there from go to whoa as a volo and boy, was it an experience.

i videoed the sprint to the line from the 150mtr to go mark just so my noncycling assciates understand how 'intense' it is. the noise, the colour, etc.

HATE oneHD - why do i care about golf while the worlds is on!

Also- big boo to the american commentator doing the women's TT - Jeanne Logro Cipelli (sp?) DOES NOT need a rocking chair for her in the hot seat! Heck, she's faster sitting down than i am on the bike and at 52? and finsihing 6th overall I think your comments were a touch rude (as did many in the finish chute!).

to everyone i had the pleasure of meeting and working with - cheers!!

Last edited:

WolfCreekPsycho

Likes Dirt
Great race and perfect way to spend a rainy sunday on the couch.

Did anyone else find Cadels comments a little odd when asked about Davies finish ?
Did he really not care enough about the race that he didnt see the poduim presentation nor care about the aussies making it to the podium?

mtb1611

Seymour
We headed down for the weekend; packed the 3 of us, 3 mtb's, all our gear etc and left Sydney at 530am Sat, arriving at Torquay at 330. Got something to eat, got hammered at the pub, got up at 8am (having lost an hour's sleep due to Daylight Savings) and then headed to Torquay airport - a client of one of my mates owns a helicopter and he gave us a bit of a joyflight down to Lorne and back, was awesome. Then headed up to the You Yangs and spent a bit of time at the Stockyards course, stopping along the way to watch the race pass through. Then we headed into Geelong and spent a few hours on the hill (the last climb) before heading back to Torquay, walking into our room just as the grand final (the important one, not the one where they squeeze into their little brother's shorts and jump all over each other) and at full-time, off to the pub again for a somewhat more subdued evening. Monday morning bought with it more mtb-ing at the You Yangs, time around the Kurrajong loop. Straight back into the van and back home, arriving at 9:00pm last night. Took a few pix too, such as this one of some ex-mtb fellow whose name escapes me....

Last edited:

BM Epic

Eats Squid
We headed down for the weekend; packed the 3 of us, 3 mtb's, all our gear etc and left Sydney at 530am Sat, arriving at Torquay at 330. Got something to eat, got hammered at the pub, got up at 8am (having lost an hour's sleep due to Daylight Savings) and then headed to Torquay airport - a client of one of my mates owns a helicopter and he gave us a bit of a joyflight down to Lorne and back, was awesome. Then headed up to the You Yangs and spent a bit of time at the Stockyards course, stopping along the way to watch the race pass through. Then we headed into Geelong and spent a few hours on the hill (the last climb) before heading back to Torquay, walking into our room just as the grand final (the important one, not the one where they squeeze into their little brother's shorts and jump all over each other) and at full-time, off to the pub again for a somewhat more subdued evening. Monday morning bought with it more mtb-ing at the You Yangs, time around the Kurrajong loop. Straight back into the van and back home, arriving at 9:00pm last night. Took a few pix too, such as this one of some ex-mtb fellow whose name escapes me....

Hope you were not working today Ben!..sounds like an awesome weekend, was looking for you in the crowd, instead i seen some fool doing a streak, and then started to worry that it might have been you doing a nudey run:D:D.
Ride report on the you yangs?