2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Yeah I need to know which events will be qualifiers, a workmate is holding back booking his holidays to fit in with me and I can't even tell him if he's wasting his time or not.
I reckon this'll probably be similar to previous years... so in Oz (from memory) we have the Scott 24, Australian Solo Champs and the Kona 24... any others?

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Australian Champs for 2010... I hear that its not at the Solo only event at Easter so that adds an additional factor... my guess would be that whoever doesn't get the WSC24 champs would be the front runner for the Aussie champs.

Anyone heard anything about that?

akashra

Eats Squid
I reckon this'll probably be similar to previous years... so in Oz (from memory) we have the Scott 24, Australian Solo Champs and the Kona 24... any others?
The qualifiers have not been announced, and I'm not sure how much I can say, only that at least one of the events you've listed is likely to not be a qualifier - so don't bet your house on it being the same as previous years.

Edit: To clarify, that is, for the sake of not fueling rumors further.

Last edited:

Jesus.

Likes Bikes
The qualifiers have not been announced, and I'm not sure how much I can say, only that at least one of the events you've listed is likely to not be a qualifier - so don't bet your house on it being the same as previous years.

Care to share which one you think will be excluded as a qualifier?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Que? Seeing as it's Stuart Dorlands call at the end of the day, I'm wondering exactly how you might know more than anyone else?

*shrug*

Cheers
Gonz

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Australian Champs for 2010... I hear that its not at the Solo only event at Easter ...
That is a real bummer if true. What to do at Easter now.
2009 was the final year of CORC's 5 year contract with MTBA to stage the Australian Solo 24Hr MTB Champs. For the first 2 years of the 5, those championships were part of the Mont, then the Scott, and then we moved it to the Easter race (which we had also been running for some years before that as a "different feel" event) after some discussions with MTBA. The Easter race was also better in terms of fitting in with the schedule for the World Champs.

The feeling within the club is that we still want to run a race at Easter, because we like doing it and the riders seem to like riding it. Besides, we have that warehouse full of chocolate eggs to get rid of ;)

AFAIK, MTBA have not released a bid document yet for the next set of the Australian Solo 24Hr MTB Champs - so the future of the Australian Solo 24Hr champs is a bit up in the air until that happens.

Last edited:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
The feeling within the club is that we still want to run a race at Easter, because we like doing it and the riders seem to like riding it. Besides, we have that warehouse full of chocolate eggs to get rid of ;)
Yay... missed it last year but that event has a great feel :)

akashra

Eats Squid
AFAIK, MTBA have not released a bid document yet for the next set of the Australian Solo 24Hr MTB Champs - so the future of the Australian Solo 24Hr champs is a bit up in the air until that happens.
This kind of stuff is getting really frustrating. It would meant that if someone wanted to run an event on the same time of the year as the national champs and won the bid, or even any time early in the year, they have only 3-6 months to get it off the ground. The tender doc for this should have gone out in the first quarter of 2009, even if only due mid year, so organizers know what they would need to have in place.

You raise a good point about the timing and proximity to the world champs - For the people who are riders of these events, how far out would riders like to see the national champs from the world champs, so you can recover, but also maintain fitness? (eg, say Worlds were the second week of October, when would be the best time for Nats?)

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
This kind of stuff is getting really frustrating. It would meant that if someone wanted to run an event on the same time of the year as the national champs and won the bid, or even any time early in the year, they have only 3-6 months to get it off the ground. The tender doc for this should have gone out in the first quarter of 2009, even if only due mid year, so organizers know what they would need to have in place.
Agree! With the calendar the way it is (crowded) then its at the point where you pretty much need to be planning a year out and thats just as a racer let alone as an organiser! Given that you need about 3-4 months at least between 24hr races... (and probably don't want to do more than a couple a year...) choosing which ones to do gets tricky :)

Sigh. Oh well, it'll get better eventually I suppose...

DaGonz

Eats Squid
And the winner is...

Sid-A-Knee...

...oh hang on, wrong event

Looks like we'll be racing around stromlo in Oct though

Cheers
Gonz

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Canberra

This media release from twenty4sports this morning our time.

You can expect further releases in coming weeks about qualifying events, but the aim is to be all-inclusive, given the capacity of Stromlo to take large rider numbers. I would expect previous World's riders and qualifiers to be grandfathered, plus qualifiers for 2010 to come from the major Australian 24Hr races.

There is normally a cutoff date by which grandfathered entries have to be submitted, so get your thinking caps on if you want to enter and you think you qualified from the 2004/2005 Mont, the 2006+ Scott or the 2007+ Australian Solo 24Hr Champs.

Of course, we want to target the Kiwis and the South African Riders to come and join the fun - especially after Tony Hogg's ride at Canmore this year. Its a big chance for the southern hemisphere riders to have a crack at a world title, if airfares etc have put them off in the past.

The media release states that entries will open on 1 Nov 2009, and, historically, these events fill up quickly. For example., the 2010 Canmore 24Hr filled up within 36 hours of the 2009 winner crossing the line !

Attachments

Last edited: