2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

dyon

Likes Bikes
1km would sort me out.
Dont these race organisers know that running is for people who dont have a bike?? :p
I manage to injure myself every time I get off the bike. Maybe I could do the "run" in a wheelchair instead? I think I'll just be walking, too dangerous to run in MTB shoes with a dodgy knee!

*rach*

Likes Bikes
It's the worlds, the le mans will be brutal!!!!!
If you still have two unrolled ankles by the time you get on your bike you will be doing well! :cool:

seriously though, with 400 solos - surely they don't have much choice but to le mans it?
I guess all will be revealed .... not long till the big day.

SteppenW

Likes Dirt
Le Mans

Good luck. Anyway, the run shouldn't be that important - this is a 24 hour race; unless you're at the pointy end of the elite field, there's little advantage in being first onto the singletrack.

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a suggestion for a cunning plan to resolve the issue of being clogged up at the start. You know that roady criterium track behind the toilet block - either start with a couple of laps of that then head onto the track, or to be really dramatic take a leaf out of the track cyclists book - have a motorcycle at the head of the field on the crit track, slowly ramp up the speed until the field is stretched out then pull the motorcycle off the track and let the racing begin!

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Easy solution

Solution to ease the congestion of the start

Rankings could be determined upon your time taken to scull a can of beer or equivilent beverage, then holding a broom above ones head spin 20 times throwing the broom down and successfully jumping over the broom without falling over!

Start rankings are both based on quickest time and comedy factor in attempting the skill. An independant panel would need to judge the comedy aspect, that is where bias and bribery of judges could hold the sports integrity at greatest concern.

Or maybe a hot dog eating contest.

clearly very bored

Quiggs

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Or just have a mass start, and be awarded extra laps at the end of the race dependant on how many slices of pizza you ate over the preceding 24 hours.

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
I've often lamented, that it's hard to win a 24 in the first lap... but very easy to loose one.
LeMans running start... = booo!!

dyon

Likes Bikes
Why don't we just start in Garema place? Get some good crowds and then by the time we get to the holeshot no more congestion!

Boreit

Likes Dirt
there must be some safety concerns running in MTB shoes.... if by some miracle i can recover from an injury & get to the start line i'll be running in sandshoes & changing to MTB shoes ala triathlon style. am sure if there are rules to the contrary someone here will be quick to correct me though.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Another possible solution: on the Cotter Road entry to Mt Stromlo, ride down that rode, chuck a right at the T intersection, ride along that road, chuck a right onto the road that climbs up to Mt Stromlo Observatory, then jump onto the singletrack near the DH start (you know that little track which leads to skyline)... no running start, but I garuntee people will be sorted out by the time they hit that sniggle - the people out the front would probably stretch the lead even further on the descent... and the brilliant thing is you'd only have to close cotter road for about 15 minutes

edit: alternatively we could really stretch it out and start at APH :p

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
I've got a solution...............nah stuff it I've got more to worry about than the start, I think I'll focus on the 24hrs after the start.

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Solo Pit Row Rank Locations?

Pit location is being done by ranking... does anyone know which side of the pits go to the better riders and which areas are left to the rest of us? I kinda think the better ranked will be closer to the entrance to the pit area but that's just my guess.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Pit location is being done by ranking... does anyone know which side of the pits go to the better riders and which areas are left to the rest of us? I kinda think the better ranked will be closer to the entrance to the pit area but that's just my guess.
The higher ranked riders (and internationals) will most likely be in the two rows that go from L to R in front of the VIP/Sponsor Marquee in this plan.

That means that people looking down from the highest part of the embankment can get a good view down those two lanes.

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Solo Support Crew Camping Area

Is space going to be assigned within the camping area similarly to within the pit area?

Will there be a separate area for campervans/caravans? Will there be 240v power for caravans(I expect not but its worth asking)? Will we be able to combine with other support crews and have sufficient space for 6m x 3m marquees etc?

Mal01

Likes Dirt
Solution to ease the congestion of the start

Rankings could be determined upon your time taken to scull a can of beer or equivilent beverage, then holding a broom above ones head spin 20 times throwing the broom down and successfully jumping over the broom without falling over!

Start rankings are both based on quickest time and comedy factor in attempting the skill. An independant panel would need to judge the comedy aspect, that is where bias and bribery of judges could hold the sports integrity at greatest concern.

Or maybe a hot dog eating contest.

clearly very bored

Quiggs
And also clearly a closet Single Speeder.