2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

smokeybear

Likes Bikes
On a different topic completely.

For all you non Australian riders, you can ignore all the quips about drop bears and bunyips but it is probably worth noting that the local Magpies are nesting at the moment. They occasionally have a go at a passing cyclist.

If your out for a ride you can put a few cable ties on your helmet or its pretty effective just to wave your hand above your head (kind of like Gary Johnstons signal in Team America).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVrCSdbUSeQ&feature=related

Rambler

Likes Dirt
On a different topic completely.

For all you non Australian riders, you can ignore all the quips about drop bears and bunyips but it is probably worth noting that the local Magpies are nesting at the moment. They occasionally have a go at a passing cyclist.

If your out for a ride you can put a few cable ties on your helmet or its pretty effective just to wave your hand above your head (kind of like Gary Johnstons signal in Team America).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVrCSdbUSeQ&feature=related
I am not sure about the cable ties-this bit of research seems to refute that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHreVKgOT4&feature=player_embedded

I am getting swooped two or three times a training ride although magpie interval training can be very effective.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
691 current riders

Did anyone else receive an email this morning from WSC?

With 691 current riders.

Now that is a lot of riders,
I remember the days when there were 12 of us doing it.
and maybe 50 at the Easter race.
and the one time I was ranked 8th, DaGonz 9th.

this will be a crazy start.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
Did anyone else receive an email this morning from WSC?

With 691 current riders.

Yeh, I had to look at that twice but it says 691 riders and pit managers so not 691 riders, but still 400+ riders still gonna be nuts at the start.
Glad I don't rate myself for a podium otherwise the first couple laps would have to be pretty intense to get in a good position.

Jackstack

Likes Dirt
he completed 72 laps of a course which was frying pan flat, with no technical features and at one point was indoors (pictures looked like it was routed through an old warehouse)...

*shrug*
C'mon Aussie be fair there was 100metres of vertical in it......................

Knopey

Likes Dirt
There's a 1:1 ratio of riders to pit managers we've been told,
So with 691 riders + pit managers and 127 pit managers still to be advised,
That's 818 riders+pit managers total,
409 riders :eek:
In the words of Marty McFly - heavy! :cool:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wonder when they will announce the start list and track course?
I wonder if I'll be racing against Tinker

have the wild card entries been told they have got an entry yet?

they have 3 weeks to "taper"

smokeybear

Likes Bikes

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
So with 691 riders + pit managers and 127 pit managers still to be advised, that's 818 riders+pit managers total = 409 riders
Correct. There have been a few withdrawals due to injury etc... And there may still be a few internationals to come as well.

I wonder when they will announce the start list and track course?
This weekend.

Have the wild card entries been told they have got an entry yet?
Yes, told, told and told again. I think less than 10 have not taken it up.

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
At the start of the weekend? (Please!)

I'm heading up to Canberra for the weekend and it would be great to ride the course rather than just some random tracks (never having ridden at Stromlo).
Simple solution. Ride all the tracks. Then there'll be no surprises. ;)

RichJS

Likes Dirt
(never having ridden at Stromlo).
Lies! I distinctly remember you crashing my NRS at a dirt crit there a couple of years ago.. :p

We'll go get some air on Double Dissolution several times this weekend, just in-case that's in the course. ;)

Last edited:

dyon

Likes Bikes
Lies! I distinctly remember you crashing my NRS at a dirt crit there a couple of years ago.. :p

We'll go get some air on Double Dissolution several times this weekend, just in-case that's in the course. ;)
I don't think I quite dropped the NRS but it did get very messy. Now it's SS maybe I should give it another go.

It's tracks like DD that I'm worried will be in the course actually. Still picking the scabs off from the last time I attempted to get some air!

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Thanks to all the solo riders than have completed your requirement of adding a Pit Manager... 73% have completed. The bad news is that 27% have not. You have 48 hours to complete the addition of your Pit Manager or unfortunately you will NOT be racing.

Can't believe that figure-it takes 5 minutes. Cmon people!

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I notice on the website in "Invitations" that my pit manager has no entry for "Responded"

Does this mean I am included in the 27% who have not completed?

Boreit

Likes Dirt
Thanks to all the solo riders than have completed your requirement of adding a Pit Manager... 73% have completed. The bad news is that 27% have not. You have 48 hours to complete the addition of your Pit Manager or unfortunately you will NOT be racing.

Can't believe that figure-it takes 5 minutes. Cmon people!
no doubt most of the 27% have been mistakely caught out by the ridiculous complexity of entering, separate email address, having to respond to invitations etc is all over the top! this info should have just been requested on the entry form up front. guess the less people that can actually participate after entering is just a win-win for the organiser.

dadsgirl

Likes Bikes
I notice on the website in "Invitations" that my pit manager has no entry for "Responded"

Does this mean I am included in the 27% who have not completed?
We had problems with this as Peta was logged in to her account and when we accepted the invitation it went through on her account. Logged out of hers and did it again. I had to register and now it's all official.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
no doubt most of the 27% have been mistakely caught out by the ridiculous complexity of entering, separate email address, having to respond to invitations etc is all over the top! this info should have just been requested on the entry form up front.
Agreed. but c'est la vie.

Entry processes, rules & conditions, that sort of thing is where I thought some of Stu's events that I've been to (all 2 of 'em :) have lacked in the past. The experience was incredible on the day though. Cowbells in '08 were a nice touch!

Too bad there'll be no Crazy Larry this year...

...Unless Stuart is planning to fly him out? :)

Cheers
Craig

macboy

Likes Dirt
no doubt most of the 27% have been mistakely caught out by the ridiculous complexity of entering, separate email address, having to respond to invitations etc is all over the top!
Really? So the remaining 73% of us must all be rocket scientists then.

3 questions.

#1 Do you know how to use a computer?
#2 Do you know how to send and receive emails?
#3 Do you know how to pay for things on the internet?

If you answered yes to these questions then entering should be easier than putting your shoes on the correct feet.