2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Cannon Fodder
2010 world solo

It is funny.:) That it is my worst result at a 24 hour event. But if it will qualify me for the worlds, that's great. I will be there next October, a lot of training and kms between now and then. Thanks Russ

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi, i am wondering about qualifying events in other states.
I live in SA and wonder if a good solo result in last year's or next year's bike SA 24 hour would get me an entry (in the 40-45 yr). This is the only 24 hour event in SA.
If not, which events would allow me to qualify next year?
Can i enter on 1st Nov. if i have not yet qualified?
cheers

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Procedure for ANZAC Qualifying Events for 2010 World Solo 24Hr Champs

This has been sent out today to race organisers who have previously indicated an interest - but here it is just in case there are some out there who haven't made it known. (Or in case you want to pressure your local 24Hr into becoming a qualifier.) Looks like we may have one everywhere except NT.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Ah, interesting... not all events will have the 50% / 75% rule. That brings it into line with the North American events where generally the top X (where X is dependant on the 'quality' of riders competing at the event).

Will inform mate that going out and pootling may not be sufficient <insert evil grin here>

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
Singlespeed qualification

"If they have not already qualified above, the first 5 male and first 3 female single speed riders will qualify for the World single speed categories."

So technically I was put into the male category as I was the only female entered, does this mean I, with my measly 3 laps, managed to qualify, even though there wasn't really a category for me?

Or do I have to find an event where there is going to be at least four females competing in singlespeed before a category is created?

Bodin

GMBC
This has been sent out today to race organisers
Thanks for this - it's awesome to finally understand what I need to do. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding:

1. Find a qualifying event before 20 September 2010 that has been accepted by CORC as a qualifying event. It will be obvious, as the event will have 24 hours of Adrenaline banners and logos everywhere...

2. Finish with at least 50% of the winner's laps to qualify for age group (I'm 35 years old next week) or 75% to qualify for elite (or take all the gears off my bike and aim for SS top 5 :rolleyes:).

Is this all correct?

Le Matelot

^^Any idea when CORC will make their decision and announce the qualifing events?
Very soon after we get replies from the organisers of various 24Hr events around Australia (and NZ). So far, only the 2009 Kona 24hr has applied (and been approved). They have to contact us to apply.

Presuming the results from the Scott 09 version will still fall into the 50/75% rule?
Yes. The Scott has had this qualifying rule for several years now.

So technically I was put into the male category as I was the only female entered, does this mean I, with my measly 3 laps, managed to qualify, even though there wasn't really a category for me?
You're in. No more qualifying riding to do if you don't want to. This is similar to people who would qualify from the Scott for an age-group at World Champs (say 35-39 for example) even though there was no 35-39 age group category at the Scott.

1. Find a qualifying event before 20 September 2010 that has been accepted by CORC as a qualifying event. It will be obvious, as the event will have 24 hours of Adrenaline banners and logos everywhere...
Yes (well - don't know about "everywhere", but it will have them).

2. Finish with at least 50% of the winner's laps to qualify for age group (I'm 35 years old next week) or 75% to qualify for elite (or take all the gears off my bike and aim for SS top 5 :rolleyes:).
The 75% / 50% qualification rule only applies to national championships plus the Scott 24Hr. For other races, there will be a defined number of qualifiers, for example, the top 10 men and top 5 women. This number will depend on the number of entries, and the quality of the field, but remember that we want to let as many people who want to ride the worlds, ride the worlds.

Bodin

GMBC
The 75% / 50% qualification rule only applies to national championships plus the Scott 24Hr. For other races, there will be a defined number of qualifiers, for example, the top 10 men and top 5 women. This number will depend on the number of entries, and the quality of the field, but remember that we want to let as many people who want to ride the worlds, ride the worlds.
Thanks for the clarification. Apologies for the incessant questions, but which is the National Champs race and when is it?

I'm hoping it's not the Kona, because I need more than a month from to prepare for a 24 hour solo... :eek:

Le Matelot

Thanks for the clarification. Apologies for the incessant questions, but which is the National Champs race and when is it?
That has not yet been decided by MTBA. There is a Bid Details document available from the MTBA website which states that:
. clubs/promoters wishing to run the 2010 Australian Solo 24Hr MTB Champs need to have their bids into MTBA by 23 November,
. MTBA will make the decision by 1 December, and
. MTBA will notify the successful bidder (and the unsuccessful ones) by 4 December 2009.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would wonder what the likelihood of any QLD promoter being willing/able to meet these criteria.
With fields of only 200 or so, I would wonder how likely it is that they will be willing to put up a $3000 prize purse between the first placed solo male and female.
The event I raced this past weekend had a field of only 180, but had Andy Bell and Sean Bekkers racing in the solo category. I think that the prize pool for the entire event would have been about $3000.

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
You're in. No more qualifying riding to do if you don't want to. This is similar to people who would qualify from the Scott for an age-group at World Champs (say 35-39 for example) even though there was no 35-39 age group category at the Scott.
Thanks Russ, fantastic news. Now all I have to do is actually train!

ebuk

Likes Dirt
I keep getting a file damaged error when I attempt to open the pdf.

Can someone explain the criteria for the single speed category. In 2008 I qualified in age group (35-39) on a geared bike, but I want to do the worlds on a SS and keep seeing this qualify top 5 which I assume would mean, find a qualifying event, race ss, finish in the top 5 places in SS?

Le Matelot

I would wonder what the likelihood of any QLD promoter being willing/able to meet these criteria.
With fields of only 200 or so, I would wonder how likely it is that they will be willing to put up a $3000 prize purse between the first placed solo male and female.
Well, that is up to the promoter, but considering that CORC has put up a combined prize purse for the Overall Solo Male and Female winners of around $10,000 per year for the last 4 years (yes, you read that correctly - $5K each), from a field of around 100 riders, it shouldn't be too difficult an ask.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, that is up to the promoter, but considering that CORC has put up a combined prize purse for the Overall Solo Male and Female winners of around $10,000 per year for the last 4 years (yes, you read that correctly - $5K each), from a field of around 100 riders, it shouldn't be too difficult an ask.
Yeah I understand that it is up to the promoter.
I guess as a QLD'er it just sticks that I may have to travel to the other end of the country to qualify when there are perfectly good events up here with riders the quality of Sean and Andy racing but I may not be able to use them as a qualifier totally because the promoter may not meet the criteria.