2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
It'll be interesting to see whether there will be similar qualifying procedures here to what the States and Canada have to do... i.e. the whole x% of laps applies but if you don't win (or place?) then your name goes into a lottery and the spots left after event winners and previous riders take up their spots are randomly distributed

Pretty good system IMHO, makes it 'fair' in that if you win / place at a major event then you're pretty much guaranteed a spot if you want it, otherwise you have as much chance of racing as anyone else who qualified.

367 days to go!

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
It'll be interesting to see whether there will be similar qualifying procedures here to what the States and Canada have to do... i.e. the whole x% of laps applies but if you don't win (or place?) then your name goes into a lottery and the spots left after event winners and previous riders take up their spots are randomly distributed

Pretty good system IMHO, makes it 'fair' in that if you win / place at a major event then you're pretty much guaranteed a spot if you want it, otherwise you have as much chance of racing as anyone else who qualified.

367 days to go!
I wonder how many solo spots will be reserved. It would be great to see 500+ people having a go!

m_g

Likes Dirt
I wonder how many solo spots will be reserved. It would be great to see 500+ people having a go!
was hoping to, but was banking on trying to qualify at easter...what do we do now? Race Kona in November? Thats not an option for me...Surely there will be another qualifier? (other than the scott this weekend)

Onegear

Likes Dirt
Qualify

I qualified at this years Easter solo nationals for my age category so hopefully that gets me in.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Geez - 500 soloists. You'd get a bit sick of shouting "track" by the end of that race after you lap each of them 87 times ?

Last edited:

Rat

Likes Dirt
So registration opens in November, does this mean that if it's decided to allow a qualifier event from each state that my effort at Kellevie (TAS) in March 2009 would qualify me?

Should I just try to register by including my race stats from that race and see if I'm accepted?

carbs

Likes Bikes
What 24hr races have been announced/set dates for next year?
I know theres the Jet Black in Sydney 6/7 Feb.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I qualified at this years Easter solo nationals for my age category so hopefully that gets me in.
Ummm press release says first qualifying event is the Scott this year so solo nats at Easter (09) probably won't do it...

Le Matelot

Ummm press release says first qualifying event is the Scott this year so solo nats at Easter (09) probably won't do it...
But the grandfather clause for previous qualifiers probably will cover that race ...

Still - early days yet and I expect the qualifying events won't be published for a couple of weeks.

On a straight numerical issue, I don't think getting a spot will be a problem. I have a "comfortable" solo rider of figure of 400 in mind but there are ways that could be increased.

btothec

Likes Dirt
I emailed them earlier today regarding the qualifying procedure and got the following response.

"Starting with the Scott 24 this weekend. Additional Qualifiers will be announced the week of the 20th - 25th. The goal of both CORC and T4S is the largest International field of athletes and to also have the largest qualified field in the 12 year history."

Optimus

Likes Bikes
Wow. 400 is a BIG number for just solos alone.
Will prob also mean a completely separate course for the solo riders (instead of having solo only sections mixed in between sections with team's riders).

And with 400 riders, I'd hope those that have competed in the WSC in previous years get a good seeding regardless of their category.

Le Matelot

... I'd hope those that have competed in the WSC in previous years get a good seeding regardless of their category.
For the previous World Solo Champs, the riders tend to get seeded based on their overall position from previous years, and the Women are interspersed. For example, in the 2009 World Solo Champs start grid, Rebecca Rusch (on Jason's left) was seeded #1 and was on the front row in amongst the Men, because she was the highest placed rider from the previous champs. Kris Cannon (far left of picture in the Stinger jersey) and Jari Kirkland (behind Rebecca in the white Scott kit) were also up there with the high ranking male riders.

You also have single-speeders and age-groupers up there in the first couple of rows.

400 500

Don't the soloist and teams split and ride different track to avoid the speed differences and passing issues?
Expect le matelot to know that?

Le Matelot

Don't the soloist and teams split and ride different track to avoid the speed differences and passing issues?
Expect le matelot to know that?
There are several different options that could be used. Stromlo has the event village areas and the tracks to support them. At the 2009 World Solo Champs, the Solos and Teams rode some common sections of the course, and some that were unique to their category. Not dissimilar to what is being done for the 2009 Scott with the day and night laps.

Another option would be to give the Solos the own course and the teams another. That avoids any possibility of interference or assistance from team riders to solo riders. Think of the 2008 Scott which used the popular hourglass course concept - but having the solo riders on the red lap and the teams on the blue lap.

But - the final answer won't be available until early to mid 2010, which is when the final inspection visit by the twenty4sports staff happens.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I quite liked the concept from WSC09 - solos being put into techy singletrack at sections but sharing doubletrack with the teams. Gave you the chance to ride some more challenging stuff without the pressure of super fast teams screaming track at you (or knocking you flying as was the case at the Scott last year) but still having team people to give you the odd 'go solo' in the small hours of the morning :)

positron

Likes Bikes
Good to see this becoming an international event! Any word on costs? Is it gong to be as prohibitive has past 24hr Adrenaline events? $500AUD is a bit steep. If so, it will be out of my reach.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Good to see this becoming an international event! Any word on costs? Is it gong to be as prohibitive has past 24hr Adrenaline events? $500AUD is a bit steep. If so, it will be out of my reach.
Depends on what you mean though... (not saying that $500 is how much I'm prepared to pay Le Matelot! :) )...

At WSC09 you could see where your $500 went... quality of the facilities, quaulity of the goody bag... etc. I think in Oz we have a perception of how much things should 'cost' rather than what the value is.

If the cost to enter is $500 and I get a bag with a T-shirt, water bottle and a couple of GUs and a generic camping area then it looks expensive... if for the same price I'm getting quality gear, lots of free product (I think there was about a kg of GU in the WSC bag - still getting rid of it!), seeded camping location etc then the value looks a little better.

I've been thinking for a while now that some of our events are actually underpriced... I'd probably be happy to pay a little more for some events and see the quality / quantity of prizes go up (not that I'm winning em mind you).

Compared to the cost of training for an event like the solo champs... the race entry fee is the trivial bit!

(retreats into his bunker to await return fire)