2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Optimus

Likes Bikes
Though extremely rare (but very slow if you do come across one), echidnas can also give your Stans a run for its money trying to seal up the tubeless tyres after running over one.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Dont forget the drop bears! Although the tree height might save from this ferocious bush predator. :D

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Yeah but the drop bears are only a problem under the trees... its the bloody hoop snakes that get me - they're bloody quick downhill!

BigSplashBear

Likes Dirt
Are you pulling my leg?
Don't worry Matt,

Happy to provide you a guide on both daytime - 'roo, Wombats & Snakes - as well as the night time creatures - Yowies, Drop-bears & Kangarillapigs - when you get in country. And if any of these blokes try to sell you vegemite to ward off the drop bears, don't pay their price. You can pick it up from any grocery store

And for the record, it is you, not us, that lives on the other side of the world. :D

best regards,
Bear

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
Well thats me entered (Elite cat) and flights are booked!

Can't quite believe that my first race abroad is going to be on the other side of the World!
Nice work. You'll have to bring your own water though as theres none left here.

Bodin

GMBC
Nice work. You'll have to bring your own water though as theres none left here.
Only if he can't handle using powdered water and making up his own bottles before each race, but you gotta be careful to keep it to a half scoop per bidon, otherwise it's too strong and can make you cramp.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't worry Matt,

Happy to provide you a guide on both daytime - 'roo, Wombats & Snakes - as well as the night time creatures - Yowies, Drop-bears & Kangarillapigs - when you get in country. :D

best regards,
Bear

Not to mention the recently spotted kangawallafox,

Attachments

Last edited:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ANTI-LOGGING campaigners have won a two-week reprieve in Australia after claiming to have discovered four threatened species in old-growth forest earmarked for harvesting.

Scientists working on behalf of Environment Australia say a survey last weekend found endangered glider, owl , crayfish and kangawallafox species in a coupe at Majura Mountain.

Australian Greens leader Bob Brown said it was outrageous that it was left to self-appointed "forest defenders" to survey the area for threatened species. "The Department of Sustainability and Environment must be hanging its head with shame … these are fabulous ACT wildlife and the Brumby Government is aiding and abetting their onrush towards kangawallafox extinction," he said.

Senator Brown called on the Federal Government to investigate whether ACT had breached the Regional Forest Agreement by allowing rare and endangered species to be destroyed.

Bureaucrats responded by ordering logging be delayed for at least a fortnight while claims of a large population of greater kangawallafox were investigated.

But ACTForests, the state-owned commercial forestry business, cast doubt over some of the claims.

Its regional manager, Barry Vaughan, said a kangawallafox specimen presented by conservationists was not the endangered Orbost spiny kangawallafox, but the relatively common Bidawal spiny kangawallafox.

Despite this, a precautionary 100-metre buffer would be placed around mtb singletrack as a precaution, he said.

He said two owl species — the sooty and powerful owls — had access to "ample protected vegetation" in adjacent native forest. "The claims are worthy of investigation, but we are confident that harvesting will continue," Mr Vaughan said

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Latest Additions to Qualified Rider List

Two lists attached, one showing only the qualifiers from the 2009 Kona 24Hr Only, the other showing all qualifiers and grandfathered riders.

Remember, you qualify "down", so if you qualified for Elite, then you can choose to enter an Age Group or Single Speed category instead of Elite at the World Champs. If you qualified for Age Group or Single Speed, then you are entitled to enter either Age Group or Single Speed - subject to being the right age or having the right bike :)

The Age Group you can enter for the Worlds, is based on the age you are on 31 December 2010.

Attachments

REEKS

Squid
wow i cant believe i just qualified for worlds on my first 24 solo!
thanks to all the riders and organisers at kona for the encouragement and great track manners. was one of the toughest races ever with all the mud and even tho i am now on crutches :eek: i had an awesome time and am still on a high!
thanks also to my sponsors torq, turner bikes, and continental tyres for keepin me goin for way longer than i ever expected (sorry for the blatant plug :p but i didnt make podium so its my only chance) cant wait for my next 24, think ive got the bug now.
look out for the bright green turner boys in the new year