2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

jeffandal

Likes Dirt
Glad I've got my entry sorted.
Is going to be HUUUUUGe!!
I think the OS people are going to be blown away by the crowds at the event, with the Scott running at the same time as a World Champs!!
Bring it on.

Rat

Likes Dirt
I must be the only person watching this thread and waiting for the "SOLO Quota filled" announcement.

I'm recovering from my injury well, back to work, but fitness and muscle??......much work to do. Oh well, I will ride again sometime soon with my son for fun :)

Until the entries are filled, I cant get closure.......if I start training again soon and my qualification is still open.......then......

AHHHHHH

Legacy...could have gone in the worlds....NAAAAA doesn't cut it.

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
Eight to go, until we hit 300.

Wow jumped right past 290... David Ludenia (WS24HRC Age Group - < 25 - Solo) has become the 292 rider registered.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Legacy...could have gone in the worlds....NAAAAA doesn't cut it.
Go for it Rat ... I'm still a few weeks away from riding after injury in January, but decided to aim big and trust I'll be ready in time for October. Rego completed yesterday ... it's too big to miss.

ebuk

Likes Dirt
Well I will be very surprised if the cap stays at 300. It's already the biggest solo 24 and another 50+ possible entrants isn't going to make that much difference.

ETSX

Likes Dirt
Well I will be very surprised if the cap stays at 300. It's already the biggest solo 24 and another 50+ possible entrants isn't going to make that much difference.
Really??? I have no doubts it will go higher with still some qualifying events to come including O/S. So it will be bigger but does Stromlo have the tracks to support those numbers plus a teams event. In my opinion Stromlo is very restricted with one way tracks, lack of a nice downhill track from the top, it is going to make it hard to get a solo and teams course of good length. Just my opinion.

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
WSC rider numbers...

It's extremely important that the entire experience of hosting the WSC in Australia is exceptional. The course experience is one if not our top priority. Australian riders have already shown support with record numbers and we still have two qualifiers left in Australia. We also need to keep in mind that the rest of the World needs to be considered and slots protected for those riders. Additionally we need to respect the riders participating on teams.

Cheers,

Stuart
Founder - World Solo 24 Hour MTB Championships - 1999
Founder - 24 Hours of Adrenalin - 1994

Rambler

Likes Dirt
16km length,7km length ,300riders,400riders, hourglass lap, red lap,blue lap, 1 fish, 2 fish-whatever option-whatever format - I am bloody excited just to be in the largest 24 solo world championship of all time-close to home at that. Roll on October!!!!

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
... but does Stromlo have the tracks to support those numbers plus a teams event ...
Yes.

Think back to the 2008 hourglass course (Red and Blue laps) plan, which had a total track distance of 28.4 Km and 631 riders on track, for an average track spacing of 45 metres. By way of comparison in terms of on-course congestion, the 2009 Scott 24Hr had an average track spacing of 27 metres.

So - for example - if we target 40 metres average track spacing, and have 400 World Solo Riders plus 2400 riders in Teams (which would make the total the 2nd biggest ever), then the required course length for each course would be 16 Kms (solo) and 24 Kms (teams), for a total of 40 Kms and we can do that at Stromlo.

Our "standard" average rider track spacing we try to not go below is 35 metres, and that would make the above course distances 14 and 21 Km for a total of 35 Kms. Now, I think that 21 Km is too long for the participation-level riders, and that also totals 1000 on track and I don't think we'll get that, but if we do, Stromlo can handle it.

I have attached a graph of the average rider track spacing over the years, so those of you who have done heaps of these races can compare this distance with how congested (or not) you felt the courses to be.

Attachments

akashra

Eats Squid
It's extremely important that the entire experience of hosting the WSC in Australia is exceptional. The course experience is one if not our top priority. Australian riders have already shown support with record numbers and we still have two qualifiers left in Australia. We also need to keep in mind that the rest of the World needs to be considered and slots protected for those riders. Additionally we need to respect the riders participating on teams.

Cheers,

Stuart
Founder - World Solo 24 Hour MTB Championships - 1999
Founder - 24 Hours of Adrenalin - 1994
If someone else in the world reckons they can snatch a championships away from us, all the best to them. But if the second best country in the world is going to have 15 Aussies finish ahead of them, well... ;)
How many non-Australian riders have registered?

ETSX

Likes Dirt
Yes.

Think back to the 2008 hourglass course (Red and Blue laps) plan, which had a total track distance of 28.4 Km and 631 riders on track, for an average track spacing of 45 metres. By way of comparison in terms of on-course congestion, the 2009 Scott 24Hr had an average track spacing of 27 metres.

So - for example - if we target 40 metres average track spacing, and have 400 World Solo Riders plus 2400 riders in Teams (which would make the total the 2nd biggest ever), then the required course length for each course would be 16 Kms (solo) and 24 Kms (teams), for a total of 40 Kms and we can do that at Stromlo.

Our "standard" average rider track spacing we try to not go below is 35 metres, and that would make the above course distances 14 and 21 Km for a total of 35 Kms. Now, I think that 21 Km is too long for the participation-level riders, and that also totals 1000 on track and I don't think we'll get that, but if we do, Stromlo can handle it.

I have attached a graph of the average rider track spacing over the years, so those of you who have done heaps of these races can compare this distance with how congested (or not) you felt the courses to be.
Thanks Russ for the confirmation that there should be enough room, I'm sure that will make for some creative track designs, maybe with a few crossover ramps etc down the far ends of Stromlo like you had a few years back ;). That is great to know.

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
Non-Australian Riders

If someone else in the world reckons they can snatch a championships away from us, all the best to them. But if the second best country in the world is going to have 15 Aussies finish ahead of them, well... ;)
How many non-Australian riders have registered?
Like in many sports home course advantage can be just that... an advantage. One of the limiting factors over the years has been the cost of travel. For example with the WSC in North America the past 11 years the host nation has always had many more rider regardless if it's been in Canada or the USA. Australia has a very solid number of high quality 24 hour races and all qualifying races have reported record solo numbers since becoming a qualifier, so it's not surprising the level of interest.

I love the Australian pride, but remember that it was Australians (all 23 of them) in 2008 that traveled across the pond and came home with a great number of medals. Only time will tell how home court advantage will play out. The question is who will travel to your great country with dreams of their own? Currently we are closing in on the record number of countries participating and with most of the rest of the mtb world just starting their season who knows what the end result will be. For example we have a record number of riders coming from the UK already.

A goal hopefully we all share is to see the largest number of non Australians take part in Australia... feel free to encourage the rest of the World to see Australia!

Cheers,

Stuart

Last edited:

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
Scandinavia is coming... Nordic24

Race director Rico Busk from the Nordic24 a qualifier in Denmark. Wrote us a couple of days ago with "Three of the best Danish solo riders has signed up after we have become WSC Qual(fier)."

Nordic is the biggest 24h mtb race in Scandinavia with 1,000 riders, plus a sold out field of 100 solo riders. Nordic24 has a few additional selected slots for solo riders looking to qualify for the WSC... Contact Rico directly.

http://www.nordic24.dk/index.php?opt...4&mailingid=43

Cheers,

Stuart

Last edited: