2010 World Solo 24 Hour Championships

Raf

Likes Dirt
Nah Jacks, no worries, I new you were just checking.:cool:

I just feel like a sissy for saying Im scared of a part of the lap. It is the worlds after all, so I deserve a few retorts and a reasonable amount of humiliation.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
so the lucky one's who have been able to ride the course what sort of rough lap time do you think its going to take?

Raf

Likes Dirt
Truly, I am so slow, my thoughts are almost useless. But... for the sake of it....

First few laps (traffic aside), I would think the top elites will do it sub 60 minutes. Average Joe might be 1hr 25minutes. Dont be surpised to see a few people coming around in +1.40 though.

I would expect it to blow out to be almost a 2hr lap for me by half way.

It is a big lap.
Raf

EDITED TO ADD - If you have ever ridden Stromlo, its not a big difference to what you have seen before. Trunk climb, Wedge tail, Pork Barrell and Skyline to Luge. All the new western slope stuff is reasonably nice riding on average firetrail, with 4 short sharp pinch climbs. By pinch climbs, I mean steep little 20 - 30 meter sections where I cant keep the front wheel on the ground.

Last edited:

spikenet

Likes Dirt
raf, thanks for the info.. wow I wont be seeing my pit-crew as much as I hoped :)
Think I'll have to carry a picnic blanket and packed lunch for those long laps!

cheers

ps: all you local boys leave some decent campsites for us! :)

Raf

Likes Dirt
I am embarrassed how long it takes me to get around, and Im scared how fast the elites will go. But it is something you will need to plan for so Im happy to help with whatever I can.

I would think its a full bidon lap, maybe more depending on temp, and a couple of energy top ups each lap as well.

Raf

Boreit

Likes Dirt
next time your up there any chance of a cpl pics to throw up... sounds interesting this rock garden:eek:. am thinkn shoulda gone with a more rugged tyre combo & cant say i wasnt warned :)

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Each report that comes in worries me more - this track wont break Tony Hogg - do Jase, Craig and Andy have the legs to do it? or god forbid are we going to have a kiwi crowned on Australian soil (*shudder*)

spikenet

Likes Dirt
am thinkn shoulda gone with a more rugged tyre combo & cant say i wasnt warned :)
Wondering the same myself. I ran maxxis ignitor+crossmark UST combo at last years scott, no drama's whatsoever. This year I am opting for a lightweight setup (race kings) but if its as bad as they say I might go back to the bombproof setup!

Larabeemax, thanks for the link.. its weird seeing gordo on the giant!

Raf

Likes Dirt
Great link. That is a great description of the lap for those who know stromlo and those who dont.

I think it is spot on when it says the course highlights the best Stromlo has to offer, it truly does. I think they have it spot on, any other track wouldnt do the mountain any justice. Pork Barrell is a great track, but its condition is my only problem.

The article highlights all the issues. Do push ups all day for the next week, you will benefit. Dont have soft tires, and get your suspension right. I really wish I knew how to set my suspension, because my Anthem is a twitchy little beast and Im using all the inches on offer, front and back but I havent got the return pressure right and it is costing me in the arms.

I will take some photos with my mobile camera this afternoon (dont hold your breath for quality).

Raf

-iRideBikes-

Likes Bikes
This year I am opting for a lightweight setup (race kings) but if its as bad as they say I might go back to the bombproof setup!
Personally I'd stick with the Race Kings, they're so smooth and fast... BUT I weigh 62kg and ride Stromlo every weekend (at least... man living in Canberra's tough;)) which I imagine would count for something. I don't think it's that bad at all, but then the longest I've ridden there in one go is 7 hours... at 3am after 15 hours it'd probably be hell!:D

Jackstack

Likes Dirt