2010 You Yangs - Yowie entries opens today 33km 66km 99km- SAT Oct 2nd 2010

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
Great track and great test for mountain bikers who have got the goods, covers most of the you yangs tracks including the stockyards area and Kurrajong area.

more info to come but just letting people know that they can now enter.

Who: Geelong Mountain Bike Club
What : You Yangs Yowie 5, 15, 33, 66 or 99km individual only.
Where: The Duck Pond School @ the main entrance of the ,You Yangs National Park Victoria
When: 2 October 2010 Saturday

http://gmbc.com.au/yowie/yowie.html

http://www.entryzone.com.au/

Last edited:

David R

Squid
More info

The course will be the same as last year, perhaps with some minor changes.

Those of you who carry the roadie gene as well (as being infected with the mountain bike bug), will be itching to go watch the UCI Worlds in Geelong on the weekend of the Yowie. The womens race is on the same day as the Yowie from 1:00pm to 4:30pm and it uses only the Geelong course. The first finishers in the 99km race are due in at 12:30pm, so there will be time for people to go watch hot women in lycra after finishing the Yowie.

bunchie34

Likes Dirt
i'm in.

it's my birthday the day before, so there may be some technicolor shouting done during the ride.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
directions more details

Yowie track directions - there may be a couple of minor changes due to track works but this gives you a good idea of the track from last year.

Start at the You Yangs main entrance at the Duck Pond School on the Gravel road. Pass the Ranger depot and the Stand pipe. Veer right onto Great Circle Drive.
Ride anti clock wise up great circle drive. Climbing, climbing, climbing
right into Cressy gully road.
Left onto farm yard track 5 and cross Cressy Gully Rd to circle around (farm yard slang name) really called quarry pit anti clock wise to drysdale road.
Ride past drysdale car park and ascend Vomit Hill. Track 1
Right onto Boulder track 9 include the clam shell and descend exclude the boulder. ( Pls note the works taking place on this track at present, be careful not to Ride this track during track works and be respectful of the Trail Crews hard work).
Right off the end of Boulder before the boardwalk and turn back right and head up track 2 towards Rockwell
Ascend Rockwell track 4 till the link track
Left onto the link track 11
Right onto Lactic track 6
Ascend to the top of Stockyards and past the Down hill start platform on track 1
Left onto Travs. Track 7
Descend Travs track 7 and stay on it and climb through the sister berms. (not on map) Stay on travs and climb through the Churn section of travs track , then turn right back onto to the bottom of the fire road that takes you to cressy gully road. (This section “the churn” of travs track is not on the map yet but runs next to track 2.)
Turn right onto cressy climb and Ascend Cressy climb. track 13
Left off the top of cressy climb track 13 to stockyards carpark track 1 then right onto the start of the Junction track 14
Descend the Junction track 14 all the way to great circle drive cross it at the blind corner, keep descending through the forest area of the junction track ,cross great circle drive again and ride past or over the raised north shore.
turn Right descend further either over or around the dirt jumps track 15 chainsaw track and keep descending through the dirt jumps and berms through the kurrajongs area.

At the bottom of chainsaw track....
(This section was slightly rerouted last year as there is a detour but for training just turn right at the junction of 15 and 16 ).16 now turn right onto the plantation track and descend again dodging the trees.
Basically then stay on the outside loop of track 16 plantation track west (Geelong) side of the kurrajongs area and ride through to the Kurrajong car park stay on the west loop track 17 lumberjack track and ride to sandy creek road
At sandy creek road ride uphill through single track toward the school, turn left at the stand pipe and see the road. accross 3m of bitumen and finish at the school.one lap 33km.
Another two laps for those doing the 99. this track rewards riders who have skill stamina and speed and is challenge.

ps just a note of thanks for the parks guys again for being super helpful with
everything and the trail crews for the great tracks.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
pot of Gold.

Hi there folks.
Thanks for all the entries so far.
Given we are are club and don't have a heap of gold lying under the YOU YANGS in the Yowie's Cave it would really help us if you were planning on entering the Yowie that you did it as early as possible.
Last year we had 80 entries in the last week.
Entering early helps us with the planning etc.
We rode the track again on the weekend and i think you would be hard pressed to find a more complete Mt Bike race track. Great Descents of Boulder Track, Travs track and the Junction track to some challenging climbs of Rockwell, Lactic and Cressy track followed by awesome fast flowing single track through the plantations area of Kurrajong.

hope to see you there.

GMBC RACE CREW.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the policy in the event that it's too wet to stage event? Couldn't see any info on site.
cheers.

sossy

Saucier
The GMBC send you all home upset, then hit the pubs with the riches made from your entries!

Considering the Youies is one of only a few places in Vic that are still in a good nick this winter, I don't think there will be too much concern of the race being cancelled for being too wet. This is testament to the great work done by the trails crew out there!

There was an interwinter round there on a shockingly wet day in Melb and it was actually sunny at times with no rain until presentation!

The Youies is in a rain shadow area, so I would fear not, although no doubt the crew will be along shortly with the answer to your dilemma.

akashra

Eats Squid
Indeed - the 2010 State Champs were held there in significant rain the night before and during the day; the Inter Winter round also had some serious rain. The 2008/2009 National Series round is well known as being a seriously wet race, but in reality it was water spray everywhere, not clagging mud.

Maybe if it snows they might have to reconsider running it.

Stons

Likes Dirt
I'm in... Cant wait, been racing for over a year now but this will be my first one at the You Yangs.

gadget1

Likes Dirt
Rode the course last weekend. Its got a bit of everything, even my favourite, the "Shoulder Shaver" down through the trees heading down to Kurrajong. i'll be there.